ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Page Alignment: Left or Center?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/15/13 03:03 PM Views: 1853 Replies: 26
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Let's discuss this: Page Alignment: Left or Center?

What have you chosen for your site(s)?
Why did you make that decision?

For you, I made the following short... be sure your speakers are at 1/2 volume.

Left or Center? Smile

Edited 12/15/13 3:09 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM - Response #1

I didn't go with an advanced design.. I didn't know you could change the alignment.. Right now mine is left.. I'm afraid to change it, might mess everything up..

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM - Response #2

Gwen, thanks for this discussion. I am a newbie Administrator and did not realize I could set the page to center. I just now did that and prefer a center look. Almost all the web uses center pages. If I get any discussion from my classmates one way or the other I will come back and provide additional feedback to this.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM - Response #3

Lynda,

As I tell those I walk through setting up their sites...

Go ahead and try Left then Right. You can always change back. You are only moving the entire site... not messing with a page. Then come back to share which you prefer and why, please. Wink

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM - Response #4

Having tried Left, I've always kept both my sites Center. From a visual point of view, I just don't like the way the page looks when it's Left. Very Happy

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM - Response #5

I keep the alignment to the left. I have changed from time to time, but prefer left alignment because I like to have a background. If you center sometimes the background will not show properly, especially pictures.Very Happy

Edited 01/11/14 3:34 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM - Response #6

Gwen, I went with center, but I discovered something that I believe is valuable information to have before making that decision. If your class (audience) is using tablets or phones to access the website, the selection won't matter much. Also, if your classmates are older and less computer savvy, chances are they don't have a widescreen monitor. The only reason I would use the left option is to show off the background wallpaper. But that can't be seen using a small 4x3 screen. It can only be appreciated with a 16x9 screen or a widescreen monitor that can be found on laptops. This is where Google Analytics can really help in this decision.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM - Response #7

I have 3 sites. Two of them I have centered and one to the left. No real reason other than maybe the way my background picture displays.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM - Response #8

John R.,

Welcome to Class Creator!

We are all happy to help and will be sharing more and more for new admins. Stay tuned!

We'll see you around these forums!

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM - Response #9

Mine is center -- no particular reason except that I just like it that way. My classmates didn't comment when I centered it, so either they didn't notice, or it makes no difference to them.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM - Response #10

I agree with Wayne. A large background pattern may not show unless your site is aligned LEFT. Right or wrong, I simply look for another background. Wink

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM - Response #11

Hi there, Tim. It seems like forever since we've discussed something. (CC has had me so busy! lol)

This is what I took away from your comment... smart phones and the like do not see the background. Left/center does not matter. The basic reason to choose left depend upon the background as stated by Wayne.

For those who use Google Analytics, that is a way to look at this. Yet for those who are new or not that advanced, it seems we are leaning CENTER unless you have a particular background that needs more space... then move LEFT.

Smile

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM - Response #12

Hi Barbara F.,
It seems we are on the same page... so far. Smile

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM - Response #13

Agree with Rhonda and Sandy.

Anyone have a great background that had them choose LEFT? Want to share? Smile

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM - Response #14

The main reason I align left is because large full screen backgrounds don't really show well in the tiny space allotted when centered.

My backgrounds are specific for the class. Last year I had a painting a classmate did. Now it's our class photo taken outside. Not the greatest pic, but everyone is there. I shift that background with a script so eventually everyone is shown.

The degree that a background shows depends on not only on the monitor but also the browser. IE now also automatically "zooms" a site. FF and Chrome also. I'm actually not fond of that "feature" since it makes sites a bit too coarse and can mess with the overall visual.

And some other stuff that suits my work.

That's the beauty of html, they can all be different.Exclamation

(Edit: With a left alignment, it's easier to get a larger pic to look good since you don't have to worry about tiling artifacts as much.)

Edited 12/15/13 7:22 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM - Response #15

I'm in total agreement with you, Jack. If I had something that special for our class, I would move LEFT in a heartbeat.

The browsers zooming... I've noticed. I am not a fan of that! You can lose all sense of what is the norm and what is zoom. Ugh!

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM - Response #16

I chose left -- actually for no particular reason. But now I like left in case there exists a problem in placing a photo or if the size of a photo is not compatible, I think it's easier to adjust it if you're on the left. Also, while I'm on a page, I like to be able to change quickly to another page if need be. Alligning left allows me to do so more quickly, I believe.
Barbara

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM - Response #17

Where did you find the flashing MISSING CLASSMATES sign? I would love to use that on my site.

Thanks, Marie

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM - Response #18

I really like the Center look. Very clean

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM - Response #19

Marie, Who are you asking about the Missing Classmate sign?

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM - Response #20

I meant for the message to go to Rhonda McClellan - Bloomington High School. She had committed on your question of Left or Right. I looked at her home page - that is where I saw the flashing missing classmate sign.

Monday, December 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM - Response #21

Marie,

I have seen that image many times. There are sites you can make signs like that. Some may have and put it on their site. Then someone saw it, saved it, used it.... and another did the same.. and another...

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM - Response #22

Hi Gwen,

I think I know where to go to get the flashing missing highway sign - may wait awhile before using.

Getting back to your question of Left or Right - I do better making these decisions early rather than later in the day - As the blind man says - "I can see what you mean".

Tried both ways - left and center - it really does not make any difference to me - only use left if I have some photos to add and keep center if no photos. I even changed the background color.

I am learning fast - may even be able to help someone solve their problem one day.

Thanks again, Marie

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM - Response #23

You go, Marie! :::applause:::

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM - Response #24

Hi, Gwen
You definitely got the gist of my comments. Here I was, concerned about the background pictures for Christmas and then I went to our website on my Nexus 7 and got the surprise that the background didn't matter. I was so proud of myself in changing the background everyday. I thought that my classmates would notice. Boy, did I have a rude awakening! I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back until I saw that. Then I went to my smaller 4x3 monitor that I use as a second. Talk about deflating my ego! So my comment actually goes to those whose classmates may not be using the latest technology like smartphones or tablets, but continue to use laptops or desktops. If they are mostly using laptops with a wider screen, then the backgrounds will matter. So I use center screen because I just don't like left. My preference.
Now for the most important part. I feel like you and I have really connected and I am glad to have made a new friend. So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, especially, and to all that participate in these forums.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM - Response #25

Hi Tim!

Thanks for your humor and honesty, you really made me laugh outloud! Such helpful information you share! THANK YOU!

Additionally, it would be great to have you as a guest speaker on TAP Live Chat sometime in the near future (after the holidays), as I and other admins there could really benefit to learn the ins and outs of google analytics. It was my plan to attend a webinar Google Analytics offered this last fall, but life's other commitments prevented me from doing so. Please let me know if you are willing to be a guest speaker on TAP Live Chat soon. We would also be honored to have you attend the regular TAP Live Chats if you are interested, also. Thanks!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Edited 12/19/13 9:23 PM
Friday, December 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM - Response #26

Marla,
The only reason I don't join in with the chats is that they are at a very inconvenient time for me. I'm in California and that's our dinnertime. I'm retired, but my wife is still working. I could be on the computer all day, but when she comes home, I'm with her. It's the best time of day.
I'm flattered at your invitation, but honestly, I'm still trying to figure out Google Analytics myself. There is a lot that it can analyse that I'm not even aware of, and some of it would apply only to commercial sites. I use only the "behavior" part to see what pages my classmates use, but it can also tell you what browser and OS your visitors use. For example, if the majority are accessing the site with their smartphones, they won't see the background graphic that they would see on a laptop with a wider screen. That's about all I know. It's like, "If you have 5 seconds, I'll tell you everything I know." Hee hee.

Edited 12/20/13 10:04 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.