ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Where They Live MAP

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/17/08 11:32 PM Views: 1311 Replies: 11
Monday, November 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM

From what I've seen of the Where They Live Map, the pins seem to be the geographic center of their zip code.

I understand the Kenya is out, but I have one zip code for Marana, AZ 85658 that is not plotting. Do the coordinates get updated on a regular basis, or are they done by request?

Thanks.

Quote:

ZIP Code 85658 has segments in 2 Counties (Pima, Pinal).

The 85658 ZIP Code is centered1 in Pima County at latitude 32.437 and longitude -111.083. It is a standard type ZIP Code. Pima County is in the Mountain Time Zone (UTC -7 hours) and does not observe daylight savings time.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 2:55 AM - Response #1

Our system feeds the info to Google and Google does the plotting. Maybe Rick can add more here.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 7:58 AM - Response #2

actually the zip code database comes from a database we purchase. I just got an update but it still didn't contain that zip code so I manually inserted it and notified the company.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM - Response #3

I noted an interesting difference between the Google map and the rest of the site, and I just wonder why it's different. On the rest of the site, when a classmate is married, their name displays as "FIRSTNAME MAIDENNAME (MARRIEDNAME)". However, on the Google map view, the maiden and married names are reversed, so it displays as "FIRSTNAME MARRIEDNAME (MAIDENNAME)". Why is this?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM - Response #4

Good question! Rick?

Edited 11/19/08 12:04 PM
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM - Response #5

It seems difficult to find a provider that provides current data. The Zip in question was initiated July 1, 2007.

Too bad there isn't a way for the admins to enter that sort of data and have a reviewer okay before updating the master table. < and that would be a very low priority project>

Thanks for your help.

Edited 11/19/08 1:02 PM
Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM - Response #6

We might get more accurate data if our zip code database didn't cost us only $5 =)

Honestly, the inaccuracies are probably not worth the time it would take to develop a system to allow admins to submit possible modifications for review.

Actually, we've already done that. It's these forums Wink

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

Good question! Rick?

Okay I changed it to FIRST MAIDEN (MARRIED)

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM - Response #8

Hey Guys and Ladies ...
The Classmate Location Map is a neat tool. When you go to the google map and then enlarge should the pin location give you the exact location of the classmate's address or is the pin location the center of the zip code? If the pin location is the exact address location and wrong can it be moved?
Thanks!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM - Response #9

We only have latitude/longitude information for zip codes. Plus, putting out classmates EXACT locations would probably be a bad idea.

The pins are always in the center of the zipcode.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM - Response #10

Glad to know ... I can pass this information on to the classmates who want to know. Thanks again for a quick response.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 11:28 PM - Response #11

Another missing Zip Code : 89002 - Henderson NV

The 89002 ZIP Code is centered in Clark County at
latitude 36.058 and
longitude -114.96.

It is a standard type ZIP Code. Clark County is in the Pacific Time Zone (UTC -8 hours) and observes daylight savings time.

Source: http://www.hometownlocator.com/
TIA

Edited 11/20/08 11:31 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.