ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Aminated GIF not moving no longer animated

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/03/15 12:01 AM Views: 1421 Replies: 5
Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 12:01 AM

This has previously been addressed under the title "Animated ClipArt Not Working Any More", but on the assumption that someone else might search using different terms, here it is again.

If your GIF is not moving, it could be that it was too large and was downsized automatically by the website. In that event, only the first image is used and it no longer has motion.

Here is what Brad Switzer said on

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=D0BC7843-D3D0-6848-BE8A4F45CC498FC0#D0BC7843-D3D0-6848-BE8A4F45CC498FC0

"make sure you don't upload animated images that are too large to fit into the space available on your page. If you do that, our system will resize the image to a size that will fit on your page and only the first frame of the animation will be preserved.

If you need a good image resizing program that will preserve animated frames, grab Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. Size your gif animation down to a size that will fit your page, and then upload the smaller animation." END

I have Irfanview, however the resize buttons are greyed out and I was not able to utilize it. I did find an online site that worked well. It is: http://gifmaker.me/resizer/

I'm using the 70's design. My original GIF was 400 PX wide and didn't work. I downsized to 374 PX and it worked fine. (Didn't take the time to try other sizes. )

If your GIF is HOSTED on another site, it could be that site is down as Vicki Martin mentioned " Brad helped me figure out that it wasn't my website, or the way the animations are on my site, but the host site. If the host site goes down, then your animations are affected because they aren't being supported by the host site."

Thanks to everyone who solved this problem.

Edited 01/02/16 1:01 AM
Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:35 PM - Response #1

There's another 'trick' that often works when the animated gif is slightly larger than what will fit on the home page or in an announcement:
Upload the gif from another page (or a test page) which does not have the smaller size restrictions. That gets it into the image vault - where you can reference it from the home page or an announcement and click and drag a corner to resize it appropriately.

Friday, September 4, 2015 at 5:53 PM - Response #2

An excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Friday, September 4, 2015 at 10:13 PM - Response #3

That is a good idea. One can also just upload to the File vault (not Image) and then you can use it on any page and not worry about the size. Just be sure to resize as John noted.

Edited 09/04/15 10:13 PM
Friday, January 1, 2016 at 5:19 PM - Response #4

OK, I have loaded it to the File vault but how do I get it into a page as an image? It either inputs the file name - no image, or if I click on image input it won't let me see the File vault.
Jim

Friday, January 1, 2016 at 8:38 PM - Response #5

If you know the name just put this in manually in SOURCE mode - using your file name.

Just make width value whatever, height will self adjust.

The trick to using the file vault is to just go to the file vault and click the "insert" option. That gives you the url on the page you came from. Now add the required html code - in this case "img ...etc."

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.