ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Verifying Newly Registered Classmate

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/29/11 09:21 PM Views: 3460 Replies: 15
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM

When in Preferences I select below to Verify new Classmates, do they receive any kind of message or automatic email to 'be patient, until verified'? Or, are they left 'wondering' what to see? Very Happy

DO NOT ALLOW new subscribing Classmates to view password protected areas of the web site, access any restricted Classmate Profiles, send or receive emails, post messages in forums, participate in Live Chat, and hide Profile information from other Classmates until the new Classmate's identity has been verified. (Note: If you select this option, a new "Verified" field will appear in the Classmate's Profile area that only you, the Site Administrator, can see. When a new Classmate joins your site and the Classmate's identify has been confirmed, toggle the "Verified" field to "yes". The default will remain "no" until you do this. Once toggled to "yes" the new Classmate will be granted access to restricted areas of your site.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM - Response #1

Yes they do. It reads:

Thank you for joining our web site! Your Profile is pending approval by the Site Administrator. Until your account has been validated, there may be portions of this web site that you cannot access. You will be notified shortly when your account has been approved.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM - Response #2

Perfect! Thanks Scott

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM - Response #3

I just joined another site as a guest member, who had this set up, and that's exactly what happened. So now you've heard the story from both sides.
Keep up the great work at Classcreator!

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM - Response #4

I had not been doing this because I felt at the time I had not had any questionable situations, but I thought "all the time you hear crazy things and I want to protect my classmates" so I went ahead and checked it. I think the key here is to be checking our emails regularly and making sure we are prompt in approving them!

I ever put a message on the open Message Forum to this effect and I said something like "If you are NOT a member of the Class of 1971 or our guest, don't try it!" Wonder what people think sometimes, but I think most appreciate controls.

20 years ago no one had issue with us publishing a directory. Now people do NOT want their information out there. So we have this, and they can get together on their own.

Denise

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM - Response #5

To what extent are some of you verifying, like what method. Are you calling with something like "hometown" questions? Are you just using the message to join clicking the link for Origin of IP address, making sure it isn't in some foreign country or something? Or, are some of you just using gut hunch on these? I recently did one, but went ahead and verified as the IP address showed in our Home State, and he had also uploaded picture of himself, which reasonably compared to the HS Yearbook photo (sometimes not easily though after 50 years. Very Happy

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM - Response #6

I think for me, just keeping up with people for 40 years, knowing where they've been and where they haven't been, basic knowledge and if something just doesn't seem "right," that's where I would do more digging.

I do alot on Facebook so that is a huge aid, they aren't going to pull anything over on you that you haven't already seen, unless they have no picture on Facebook!

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM - Response #7

Derrell,

On one site that I maintain, I have used the commencement program with complete names. I have tried to use "school/nick" names on the website. For verification, I ask the person wishing to be added to the website what their name would have been as listed on the cp.
I know this could be researched by someone trying to join under an assumed name, but hopefully they wouldn't bother to go to that much trouble. Most yearbooks that I've seen just use the middle initial.
So far, this has worked for us.

Anita

Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM - Response #8

How is the administrator notified when a verification is pending? Is the classmate notified when the pending verification status changes to yes?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM - Response #9

Please see the two posts at the top of this thread.

Admins receive an email notification as well as a box in the upper right corner of the homepage.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM - Response #10

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Please see the two posts at the top of this thread.

Admins receive an email notification as well as a box in the upper right corner of the homepage.

I use this on one of my sites and not on the other. I have just received a very strange signup on the non-verification site with someone selecting a name from the list and then completely changing the name on signup. The new name is not recognized as one of my group. So, I deleted the new name, wrote the person who changed the name and asked for details of their relationship to our group.

But - until I could delete them they had full access. So, I think I am being forced into adding verification. One question....when adding/changing this you have the option to automatically verify everyone who has already registered. If I do that will they receive the "Welcome...you have been verified" email? I would not want that to happen as it may confuse people. Thanks.

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM - Response #11

Members receive a welcome email after you complete verification. This email is the same one members receive at the time they join when verification is not activated.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM - Response #12

I understand this but my question is whether my already registered people would receive another Welcome email when I click on "automatically verify everyone already registered."

Or - another question...what if I add verification now and I do NOT check that box? Will my already verified people then have a problem logging in?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM - Response #13

NO, already registered people would NOT receive another welcome email when "automatically verify everyone already registered." is clicked

YES, if you turn on verification now but do not check that box, all currently registered classmates will be left unverified. They'll be able to log in, but their access will be very limited.

Monday, May 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM - Response #14

I'm not receiving any notifications that there are members pending verification. I am currently only getting the "new classmate has joined your website" email AFTER I verify them. So, I am constantly have to log in to check for new classmates so they don't have to wait too long to be fully joined. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed that will fix this? Thanks!!

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM - Response #15

Hi Beth,

Let me know if you see this happen again. The system is set to send emails when there is a pending verification and I verified you have all notifications turned on.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.