ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Trouble Creating Profile...

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/10/08 11:09 AM Views: 1311 Replies: 4
Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I just created our website and entered a class info. list manually for each classmate (contact info, career, kids, etc.) so each member has a profile pre-created. I selected the second radial "Show Classmate details even if Classmates have not created an account" however, when a person attempts to create an account by clicking on their name on the "Classmate Profiles" , this message..."Sorry, you must be logged in as a member of this class to view this Profile. Please log in from the home page." Then they go to home page and click the "Classmate Profiles" link under "If you need an account, go to Classmate Profiles and click on your name." Becomes a circular issue. Is this a bug?

I have found a few work-arounds, but each have issues:
1. Select the "Do not show Classmate details unless Classmates have created an account." However, I find this could limit participation with the mentality that "oh so-and-so didn't create a profile, why should I?"

2. Disseminating Password Info. I opted for password protection for certain pages (currently no pages selected), but I found that if a classmate enters their email address and that password, they are able to login. Problem with this is that they need to use the same email address that i entered for them initially.

Is this a bug or am I just crazy? Thanks for any help!

Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 11:23 AM - Response #1

I did the manual edit when I created my site. I put only the name and email address that I had. I then sent an email to everyone inviting them to come to the site. I know that one girl used a different email to register than what I had entered for her. I know of no problems she had in doing that. Good luck.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 12:11 PM - Response #2

Cassandra,

You should never, ever turn on the option to restrict a Classmate's Profile to only logged in fellow Classmates before the Classmate has even had a chance to come by your site and create an account.

Each Classmate has to join the site from the bottom of his or her own Profile page. But if you restrict their Profile page to displaying to only logged in Classmates, the very Classmate who needs to see that page to join your site in the first place cannot even see their own Profile. They of course cannot log in because they have no account to log into. And they can't create an account because you've blocked them from seeing their own page. Those privacy settings are for the Classmate to use, and were not intended for the Administrator to set in advance of somebody even creating an account. I'll go in and put some more wording in there to help make this more clear in case anybody else ever tries to do this.

Simple solution: You need to go into Profiles of Classmates who have not joined your site and remove the restriction that blocks the Profile from displaying only to logged in fellow Classmates. Once you've done this, new Classmates will be able to go to your Classmate Profiles page, click on their own name and create an account -- something they can't do right now because you've blocked them from clicking on their own name.

Edited 08/10/08 1:17 PM
Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 12:17 PM - Response #3

Cassandra Scharf wrote:

I just created our website and entered a class info. list manually for each classmate (contact info, career, kids, etc.) so each member has a profile pre-created. I selected the second radial "Show Classmate details even if Classmates have not created an account" however, when a person attempts to create an account by clicking on their name on the "Classmate Profiles" , this message..."Sorry, you must be logged in as a member of this class to view this Profile. Please log in from the home page." Then they go to home page and click the "Classmate Profiles" link under "If you need an account, go to Classmate Profiles and click on your name." Becomes a circular issue. Is this a bug?

I have found a few work-arounds, but each have issues:
1. Select the "Do not show Classmate details unless Classmates have created an account." However, I find this could limit participation with the mentality that "oh so-and-so didn't create a profile, why should I?"

2. Disseminating Password Info. I opted for password protection for certain pages (currently no pages selected), but I found that if a classmate enters their email address and that password, they are able to login. Problem with this is that they need to use the same email address that i entered for them initially.

Is this a bug or am I just crazy? Thanks for any help!

Cassandra, I don't believe its a bug in the system, but a safety issue. When I set up our website I added our class rooster from an excel spreadsheet & it included email address that I had already. When each classmate goes into the website they have to register, which allows them to put in their own password. They do this by clicking on the "Classmate Profiles" link and then clicking on their own name.

I sent a mass email to everyone asking them to register & gave them directions in the email.

Hope this helps! Good luck & have fun w/your website design.

Beth Selmon DavisVery Happy

Edited 08/10/08 12:54 PM
Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM - Response #4

Ok, here's what I came up with. If an Administrator tries to restrict a Classmate's Profile to only logged in fellow Classmates before the Classmate has even created an account on the site, we will pop up this message that will explain to the Administartor why this is not recommended:

"You are attempting to turn on a security feature for a Classmate who has not yet joined your site. This security feature is intended for Classmates to turn on after joining your site. If you turn on this option before this Classmate has had a chance to join, it will prevent the Classmate from ever joining (each Classmate must join the site from the bottom of his or her own Profile, and if you turn this on then the Classmate will not be able to see his or her own Profile, and thus unable to join your site). For this reason it is strongly recommended that you uncheck this box and leave this Profile public until this Classmate has had a chance to join. (Recommendation: Do not enter any confidential information into this Profile before the Classmate has had a chance to join.) The only exception to this is if you expect this Classmate to never join your site, and you are planning to maintain this Profile on behalf of this Classmate."

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.