ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Single columns just went double

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/16/09 12:12 AM Views: 1310 Replies: 5
Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 12:12 AM

reliancehigh.com
My photos in YEARBOOKS have split into two columns ... side by side ... not attached. I'm absolutely terrified to save changes and close down for the night. How do I get the column on the right to get back under the left side where it belongs?
The 1954 Junior Class photo has been giving me fits since the day I put it out there.
I was adding the 1926grads photos when this happened.
HELP!

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM - Response #1

Wow! That is one of the most sophisticated table layouts I've ever seen attempted. I'm not sure yet if that's good or bad, but I comend you for even trying it.

I have one answer for you here and one concern:

ANSWER: You set the alignment of your first table to "Left". You need to set that back to "Default". With that table set to left, your next table on the page is going to appear to the right of it, blowing out your page. It's the cause of the issue you are describing, and fortunately a very simple fix.

CONCERN: If I understand you correctly, you've got your page up in your edit mode, you've made some changes, and you're not saving the page due to fearing messing something else up. The problem with this is if I go in and fix your page, the minute you press Save you're going to blow away my fixes. You are better off saving the page, leaving it inactive, and then trying to fix the problems or have us go take a look again.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM - Response #2

Thank you for your quick response. When I came online this afternoo I was very excited to see things looking as I intended, once again. I was under the impression I had corrected my two-tables problem. Apparently not. I do have one question ... how do I revert to "default" and I will do that and promise not to change it ever again! Flush left works for me! When I have tall narrow group photos such as the 1926 graduates, what is the recommended size for that? Sorry ... that makes two questions.
Thanks again for helping. barbara

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM - Response #3

If you're putting photos side by side, there is no recommend specific size, other than the total width of your photos (and any space inbetween) should not exceed the width of your pae itself. Otherwise you'll blow out your design to the right.

To set your first table to default you can click right on the table itself, go back into your table properties by clicking the table icon again, and setting the table alignment to default. I think I may have already set it to default yesterday when I was in there though.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM - Response #4

Brad,
All was going very well until today (another 30-40 photos added) and I am absolutely exhausted from doing and re-doing. When I made the reccommended corrections I ended up with about 2 inches of blank space at the top of the photos. If I try to delete the "invisible rows", this works for three deletions before all hell breaks loose again. Apparently, I've done it again because I see a second column to the right and cannot delete it. I'm going to stop working on these pages for a couple of days to go through all of my new photos and your responses to see if I can get my bad habits out of my head. I saw somewhere that someone sent you a bottle of wine ... how do I top that? If you have time, please check on this for me. barbara

Edited 04/18/09 9:14 PM
Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM - Response #5

I'm not seeing a second column to the right, but I do see that something you've entered is blowing out the page just slightly. Most likely too many hard spaces in a row somewhere, or putting photos side by side that are too wide to fit on the page.

I have to mention again, I'm not kidding when I tell you this is probably the most advanced photo page I've ever seen attempted in the history of Class Creator. What that says about you is that you're amazing for not only attempting it, but pulling it off as well as you have. It also says something about our editor though, and what is says is that making this type of layout in our editor is extremely difficult (I don't think I have to tell you this).

This isn't going to help you for now, but heer's two options that will be better for you:

1) If you want to get into layouts of this level of sophistication, you are far better off using a professional grade html authoring program such as Adobe Dreamweaver, and then pasting the resulting html code into your editor window using Source view. You'll have far more luck with real html generating software than our visual plugin.

2) Our upcoming Photo Gallery Maker module will be helpful for things like this. It won't be a sophisticated layout like you've done here, but it will produce thumbnail images that can be expanded to large images.

For now I suspect you're going to stick it out and attempt to finish this in our editor. Based on how close you are, you may just succeed yet. Try the Gallery Maker when it comes out later this year, and if you really get into this and you want to produce more and more advanced pages and layouts, check out Dreamweaver like I mentioned. Many a person here edits html in a third party program and copies the code back to the site.

Edited 04/18/09 10:08 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.