ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Pasting a link in a public comment on profile page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/13/16 11:43 AM Views: 1208 Replies: 9
Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM

In posting a public comment on a fellow classmate's profile page, I'd like to insert a link (to a specific In Memory page) along with my comment.

Pasting the In Memory page url, of course just leaves an unlinked address, not helpful for most classmates.

I tried inserting the link as a video (address) but that didn't work either.

There has to be an easy solution?

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM - Response #1

You used to be able to code most html code inside a comment. So try this (just an example - use whatever yours is)

Edited 05/13/16 12:28 PM
Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM - Response #2

This is easily done by using the editor at the top of the page on which you make the profile comment. The editor has three rows of icons. You'll be using the link icon, the third icon in from the right on the second row.

On the profile page comment, write whatever you wish to be the wording for the link to the In Memory page, such as "click here for classmate's In Memory page." Then, highlight "click here." After highlighting, click on the link icon. A dialog box will appear with the cursor blinking inside the URL box.

On a separate tab in your browser, go to the classmate's In Memory page. Highlight the URL. Copy and paste the URL in the URL box. Click OK and you'll create the link ("click here" is now underlined). Click SAVE CHANGES at the bottom and you're done.

Visit our site's home page and Latest News page to see examples of this technique, with the links highlighted in blue.

Edited 05/13/16 3:20 PM
Friday, May 13, 2016 at 5:46 PM - Response #3

Don't think we're on the same page here, Scott.

The comment box you can use to make comments on other classmates profile pages doesn't come with an editor like what's available in other locations (at least not on my browser). It allows you to post a comment or a picture or a link to a video, but no editor that I see.

Edited 05/13/16 6:01 PM
Friday, May 13, 2016 at 6:00 PM - Response #4

Thanks, Jack, your html approach worked fine. I was hoping for something simpler that our non techie classmates could use...but this will work for links that I want to post.

Ed

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:03 PM - Response #5

Ed, thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the confusion. You're right, the comment box on a classmate's profile page does not come with an editor. My solution only applies to pages which have an editor.

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM - Response #6

If you make sure the URL has http://www or www in front of it the system will see it as a link. http://content.screencast.com/users/fuzz.../2016-05-16_0209.png

Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 5:08 PM - Response #7

John, what's the syntax to have the link open a new tab? It involves target=_blank, but where does that go in this example?

YOUR LINK TEXT

Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 7:44 PM - Response #8

Mary,

This example answers your question:

Use target="_blank" to open the linked document in a new browser window or tab:

Edited 03/20/22 7:47 PM
Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM - Response #9

a href="https://www.youtube.com" target="_blank">Link Text Here

I left the beginning and ending brackets off.

You can add this in the editor but choosing the link icon and then there is a tab across the top of that details page called Target - target=blank new window is one of the options.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.