ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

compressed music files

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/16/13 12:02 PM Views: 1031 Replies: 7
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

On the cc playlist generator can you modify it to accept compressed files like .ra?
Dave

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM - Response #1

.ra files are Real Audio and typically require the Real Audio Player (which, as far as I know, is obsolete). We would have to install a whole separate sofware suite to provide this, and that would probably incur a substantial licensing fee (just because it's obsolete, doesn't mean someone won't charge you a lot of money for it).

I'm going to venture a guess that the answer to this is a definitive "no."

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM - Response #2

I use the real audio jukebox daily and receive updates (one just this morning). The base question is can you allow it to accept compressed files instead of MPs?
Dave

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM - Response #3

There is no substantial demand for the ability to play .ra files (and hasn't been for at least ten years). I'm sorry to say that your choice of audio formats puts you in a very small minority and we can't justify the expense of adapting our software to do what you are asking. The answer is no.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM - Response #4

Are there other compressed formats that will take up less room than MP3s?
Dave

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM - Response #5

There may be, but mp3 is the dominant format largely because it has the best compression of all the widely available, non-platform-specific file formats. Also, because the compression algorithm is not encumbered with patents and licensing fees, which makes the tools for creating and working with mp3 files affordable for large scale use.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM - Response #6

Eric,
Ok, thanks for the information.
I have converted most of my (close to 10,000) music files to MP3 but it uses a lot of space on the site and I cannot put many on. I copied my music many years ago when there were lots of sites that allowed you to do so. I understand the licensing issues and fees that are prevelant today. I was hoping to be able to put more of my music on the site.
Thanks again,
Dave

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM - Response #7

How much of your music you can put on the site is limited only by the available file vault space, but there is no music file format available at all that will not eat up that space with a relatively small number of files because our service is not designed to be a music library.

We are offering an incidental music service to accompany web browsing, not a website one goes to specifically to hear music.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.