ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Making Announcements to the Class

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/15/09 02:20 PM Views: 1102 Replies: 3
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM

All,

I am asking this because I can't be the ONLY one who this problem!!!!...

What do you find is the best way to get important information out the class? Some of the committee thinks that a simple announcement on the site (in a designated area) is enough, while others think that an email should be sent even if it only states that new information is available, and instructs them to check the site.

Some of my classmates are fickle about getting tons of emails, so I am unsure if perhaps we should put a question in the profile generator asking each of them which they prefer...at least that way, we won't be sending unnecessary emails.

Just looking for everyones thoughts and practices so that I can present to my committee.

Thanks!

Vicki

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM - Response #1

The new threaded forums are great for this. Just make sure people understand how to use the forum. If they wish to be notified of news, they can sign up for notifications and the system does it for you. If they don't wish to receive emails, they don't have to sign up for notifications.

This has been great for us. I only send of very important messages to the entire class such as deaths etc

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM - Response #2

Vicki,
I have found that the quickest way to get the message across is to 'Email the Class'.
If I post an announcement, it messes up my homepage, and I've noticed that people are really fast to respond to my emails. Now, mostly all I'm sending out is reunion info updates, so I know they WANT to read it!
If you have a 'fickle' class about emails, it might be simpler to explain that that's what this website is for...to help simplify EVERYONE's life - yours and theirs!
If you email frequently, that might be a concern. Otherwise, I guess post an announcement or use the forum option.
Just a thought,
Cindi

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 11:31 PM - Response #3

Vicki,

Have people said that they get too much email from your site? I am only asking because I know you are trying to be sensitive but maybe it really isn't an issue. Just a thought.

I send out several emails per month to the entire class. I try to put in a new poll every couple weeks and then a new survey every month or so. So I just send a notice and the number of log ins goes way up as they come check it out. I keep it upbeat and short. They don't have to read it but as the other post mentioned, the whole idea of the site is to be in contact with our classmates.

Anyhow, my two cents.

Greg

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.