ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can I move Announcements to a page of its own?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/29/13 01:55 PM Views: 1530 Replies: 16
Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM

That's the question. We'd like to have a separate page for announcements, that works like the announcements on the home page (with the same approval process) but not taking up space on the home page, which we feel is getting cluttered.

Any way to do this!

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM - Response #1

The only way to do it is to copy/paste it to a different page. The approval process would still be done with the announcements, but instead of approving the announcement, you would then copy/paste to your new page. Some of the contents, you might need to use the SOURCE button to copy the entire contents and then use the SOURCE button before pasting the contents in the proper place.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM - Response #2

I'm feeling really stupid, but I'm not quite understanding what you're saying. If I copy and paste the announcement, does that mean that I have to continue having the announcement on the homepage as well as the new page? What I want is to be able to have an ongoing process where people can post announcements without taking up space on the homepage.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM - Response #3

Hi Laurie,

I have wanted to do what you are asking. I would simply not make the announcements active on the home page. It may be a bit a copy/paste but it will work. Thanks for asking this. I may be doing the same soon! Smile

EDIT ADD: I am back with an addition.
WHAT YOU WANT:
1) Want to allow classmates to post announcements without changing your home page.
2) Some announcements on the home page and some on another page.

1) On the home page, under announcements, you will find choices at the bottom of the page. Choose the first option:
"Allow ____ Members to submit Announcements (all ____ Member-submitted Announcements are added in an inactive state and must be activated by an Administrator)"

2)
a) Since all announcements posted by your members must be approved by you, they are not shown on your home page giving you the opportunity to choose to make them active on the home page or move them.

b) Once you copy the announcement over to another page and save it, you can delete the announcement where it shows under HOME PAGE > ANNOUNCEMENTS.

or

c) move the announcements you want to copy to another page to the bottom of the announcements you have listed. Then if you need to leave in the middle of moving announcements, you have not lost anything and have a bit of organization set up to make it easier for you to pick up where you left off when you return.

d) To be clear...
When you are copying an announcement over to another page, it does not have to be active on the home page. You can delete it once you have saved it to the new page.

Hope this helps, Laurie and those who may have the same questions.Smile

Edited 06/29/13 3:19 PM
Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM - Response #4

Can we take one of the available pages and make it "Announcements"? If so, how would we handle approval?

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM - Response #5

Hi Lynn,
See if my post above your post helps. My guess is that you were writing at the time I was posting it. Smile

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM - Response #6

Sorry, Lynn. I should have added that you will not need to approve the post at all. By copying the post and moving it to another page that is active, you have approved it.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM - Response #7

Thanks Gwen!

You did answer my question.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM - Response #8

Laurie
My announcements are not on my home page.. After going to my website, use hotdog as the password to get to the announcement page..
My home page has pictures and facts about our class, then the classmate has to log on to see the announcements.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM - Response #9

Sorry, I mean system password is hotdog1960..

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Gwen. What you said is what I meant to say (but I didn't want to type that much)

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM - Response #11

TAP now has a new TIP of the WEEK... this one! TAP members will find a sample member announcement added to the home page (approved by a TAP Administrator). The announcement was then copied to the new Sample Page on TAP - Announcements Page.

NOTE: In preparing this, we find that members do not have an editor box when posting. Therefore, there is not a Source Code to copy. Please excuse our errors in suggesting this in our above posts. Embarassed <--- Oops!

Edited 06/29/13 5:01 PM
Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM - Response #12

I understand, Kyle. When I do, I'm sure someone is thinking 'did she have to write a book?' The answer is... yes. It may help someone who has had a site but keeping it basic and/or new admins. Thanks for understanding. Smile

Edited 06/29/13 5:18 PM
Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM - Response #13

Then again... what about the Message Forum? Wouldn't that work as an Announcement Center for members? It would mean less work.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM - Response #14

Now, now, Kyle-- remember, you have 'the patience of Job' and you like that. I've been following this and I learned from both of you (learned quite a bit, actually). Thank you Lynda for asking the question in the first place.
Barbara

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM - Response #15

Well, I probably didn't want to type as much because I was on an iPad.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM - Response #16

Ha-ha. Good excuse. However, it made Gwen go into detail so all was accomplished. I learned a lot. Probably many others did, also.. Thank you.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.