ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Blank messages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/06/10 03:34 PM Views: 2409 Replies: 8
Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I have a classmate who is sending messages that are being received as blank messages.... "Just got a call from someone that they got a message from me without any contents."

I sent her a message and she returned it--not blank. What is she doing wrong?

--Peter

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 6:06 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately I have no idea. How is the message being sent? Through regular email, through the Message Center, through the Site Contact form?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM - Response #2

Here's the email conversation...

Her: "I've sent a few messages through the message center but they arrive at the receiver without the contents. My feed shows that they were sent. Any thoughts?"

Me: "After I send this message, I will send a test message through the message center and see if it works. Let me know if you get it...or if you don't get it. It should follow right behind this one."

Her: "I got your test message. My friend has been receiving notices that I sent a message but nothing is in the text although sometimes the message does show up."

Me: [thought I was done]

Her: "Just got a call from someone that they got a message from me without any contents."

What other information do you need that I can ask her?

Peter

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM - Response #3

I'd ask whether her retained copy of her sent message in her message center is also blank or whether it shows. Might narrow down the problme somewhat.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM - Response #4

Yes, please let me know her name and what message is currently in there that is blank. I'll be happy to take a look, you'll need to get permission from her for me to do that first.

Without knowing more, from the sounds of it there really isn't a blank message at all in there. Rather, somebody is getting a notification that there is a message, they click the notification, and then there isn't a message at all. Almost every time this happens it's because somebody is looking at an old email that links to a message they have since deleted. Thus the link now links to nothing. I've also seen cases where somebody's email server queued an email and delivered it rather late, and the person had already found the message inside Message Center on their own and deleted it. Then the late email shows up with a link to a message they've already deleted. And I've also seen a case where for whatever reason somebody's email server was sending the person the same message more than once. And the same thing happens, they've already deleted the message from Message Center. Any way you cut it, the strong liklihood is the person is just clicking a link to a message that they've previously seen and previously deleted. Thus there really is no blank message in there. If I'm wrong though and there's actually a blank message there, let me know and I'll go in and take a look.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM - Response #5

Her name is Debra Adelstein. She replied to your request, "if he goes to the dialogue I had with Jamie Baskin he'll see several examples of her writing me back to say she didn't receive the message. Will this work?"

Edited 07/07/10 10:38 AM
Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM - Response #6

Not quite actually no. In this case I need 2 things:

1) I need a specific example in Debra's Sent folder that is not being received by Jamie Baskin. Please have her reference an exact message I can look at.

2) I need permission to then go into Jamie Baskin's Message Center and see if the info in Jamie Baskin's Sent folder is really not in Debra Adelstein's inbox.

I.E. I need to first verify that something was really sent, and then I need to further verify that the something was never received. Honestly it's incredibly unlikely this will prove to be the case. Something else is probably happening here but I'll need permission to go into both Message Centers to look for the Sent and Missing content. Another guess here is Classmate 1 never managed to really send the message, maybe inadvertently forgot to actually press the Send button or something like that. If the missing message was really sent, she'll be able to find it in her Sent folder. If she can really find it there, then it's virtually impossible Classmate 2 doesn't have it. I can tell you this because this isn't really email at all, it's just a database. If the entry is in one person's Sent folder, then that same entry has to be in the other person's Inbox.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM - Response #7

I was waiting for this to uncover itself.....

By contacting Jamie, I found that she was one of the culprits. Her email--"What I have discovered since then is that the message shows up at the bottom of the string of previous messages. Is that where it is supposed to be? I thought when you click it should be right there."

Debra contacted another friend and "she was doing it wrong" too.

Case closed. Sorry to bother you on this one, but I needed your problem solving expertise! Thanks for your rapid response times! Fantastic web site, Brad!!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM - Response #8

Ah ah ah! You know I'm glad this came up, because should this come up again it will help me answer it faster for the next person. Some people simply aren't familiar with the concept of threaded email, where all new messages are added to the thread and your entire running dialogue is saved. Thus yes, if you don't know to look at the thread itself to see the next message in the thread, I can see how this might confuse somebody. Happy to have this one solved.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.