ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Login without email address

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/01/13 01:07 PM Views: 1496 Replies: 10
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

There are numerous discussion threads regarding the ability to enter (maintain) data for people without an email address. However, I couldn't find any discussion that recognizes that people without email addresses and for that matter without computers are still able to use the Internet and browse the WWW. Public computers can be found at most libraries as well as various other places. It is also possible for people, especially those with children, to use a computer that belongs to somebody else.

I'd suggest that Class Creator is an excellent example of why it is a bad idea to use the email address as a substitute for a user-id (i.e., users system identity). In the information system design business this is called information overload (using a data element for multiple purposes) and it invariably leads to problems.

With that said, it seems possible that the designers of Class Creator considered this scenario (use case). If so it would be nice to have a recommended approach for people without an email address who still are able to use the web and join the site. Is there any such recommendation?

Edited 01/01/13 1:10 PM
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM - Response #1

All one has to do is get an email address and then they can login the class site. as Long as they do not save the password on the public computer.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM - Response #2

In my opinion, using an email address is the easiest way to remember your login information. Also, if a person changes their email address it is a reminder for them to update their information on the website.

Changes are that 99% of people that have access to the web also have an email address.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM - Response #3

Would the overall problem or issue be that browsers do allow a person to store both User ID and Password in a way that retrieval can be done in multiple ways. The user sometimes likes this feat because reentering these at most times is not pleasant. This being said, automatic retrieval allows any user on the computer the ability to use the account. Either we should disable that browser feature ourselves or limit those who have access to our computers.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM - Response #4

One can use a 'fake' email address for the login name. So those without home access just have to remember this fake email address. It saves them having to figure out how to set up an email address.

The only problem is that it will 'bounce' if you do a class mailing. Plus of course, they can never get the password sent to themWink

For example: fakename@fakemail.com

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM - Response #5

I am a simple administtator on our class site so I speak for myself. I think the email address is just a way of getting an user ID but solving 2 issues at once. The first is a login name and the second is a contact address for online. Since an alternate address is requested but not required a fake could serve as the main and an alternate for us admin.
One problem I encountered was with missing classmates. At one time, anyone could claim to be the missing classmate and enter whatever was desired. I don't know if damage beyond character damage could occur. I encountered this once and tracked down the fake person. I hope this cannot happen again.

Edited 01/02/13 12:15 AM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM - Response #6

I want a more secure site. Several of our classmates are hesitant to post personal information, even public domain information. More classmates do not understand how accessible internet transmissions are. Let's get realistic, there are computer hackers who intend to harm.
I don't see the big deal about allowing a unique UserID. One can use one's email address as the UserID to avoid having another ID to keep track of.
Why not add a security question? It is standard practice to protect an individual's identity.
I realize that many people do not feel security measures are valuable. If you twitter or use facebook, you are likely in this group.
I am, obviously, very cautious, but I think enhanced security measures--beyond one password--are needed.

Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM - Response #7

I had a classmate who didn't want any emails from the site, so I removed his email address. Now I see in the Statistics that he has been on the site again. I looked under Manage Classmates and no email is listed. Using your suggestion, Jack, I added another classmate with the fake email address and was able to get on the site; however, that fake address is listed under Details in Manage Classmates. It seems like the one the classmate used to get back on the site should show up there, as well, but the field is blank. Is the system working the way it should?

Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM - Response #8

No idea. Sounds like the database kept a record. CC would have to look at this. Sounds interesting in a techie way. Wink

Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM - Response #9

Is this a case of Admin entered email address vs member entered address? If so, what you removed may have been the Admin enter email address. Unless you do not have that special feature turned on, you can not tell what is Admin enter vs member entered details. Just guessing.

If the member does not what notices from your site, I think it would be better for him to set all Notify Me options to Never and unsubscribe from following all profile updates.

Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM - Response #10

The classmate must have entered his own email to get back on the site. Yes, I entered his email address when he signed up a year ago. I don't know about a special feature to turn on which will indicate which are Admin vs. Member details. Right now we have no record of his email. I agree changing Notify options would have been better, but he seemed to be having problems with the process.

I appreciate your suggestions! Thanks so much---Jack, too.

Edited 06/22/14 5:02 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.