ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Need Some Help/Suggestions

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/29/13 12:25 PM Views: 1184 Replies: 12
Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I have embedded a third party slideshow of grammar school photos to my site. I want classmates to be able to identify the people in the photos and also see what others are saying. I was able to create a survey for one of them and everything looked like it would work great. I want to have a survey for each of the photos and then put links to those surveys under the slideshow on the same page.

My problem: I do not want all of the surveys to be listed in the left hand column. Right now I have 15 photos. The only way I can keep them out of there is to not have them active. If they are not active, classmates cannot see them. GRRRRR...

Any suggestions for how to get around this? Even if I have to handle the "survey" a different way. I'm open. I really think this is something that would get people involved and it would be fun.

Thanks for any ideas!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM - Response #1

If you go to each survey page that you create (when active) and copy the link in the location bar, then deactivate the page, you can still get to the page by pasting your link in the location bar and hitting enter. Therefore you can make a list of your survey pages and add the links to one page that you make active to all of the hidden surveys.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM - Response #2

I have a gallery of elementary and middle school pictures. We need to identify many classmates and each time I work on it, I wonder how I can set it up that it is easy for classmates to help. (They are not using the Contact Us option given.)

I like your idea of using surveys, Barbara! Now if I could link a survey with a click on each picture that takes you to the survey vs an extra link. Hey, one can dream! Wink

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM - Response #3

Scott,

I thought the same thing. When I did that and tried it while logged in on my Admin ID, it worked great. Then to test it I logged out and then logged in under a different (no Admin rights) ID. Received an error message that the survey was not active. I'm almost certain that we used to be able to do that.

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM - Response #4

Well. Darn. I know this used to work. I will need to look into this further. I am wondering if I was thinking of Gallery Creator pages?

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM - Response #5

Survey pages can't be accessed if not active. That was one of the big drawbacks when they were used to create extra pages (before this release).

Instead, Gallery pages avoid that problem, but it takes a little bit of trickery to get them to work. Basically, don't put any images on the first page and put the new pages within the "gallery".

But one can just create any new page now, make it not active and link to that (the new page).

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM - Response #6

Scott - Yes - it used to work with Galleries.

Jack - Galleries and/or a new page are fine but I need a survey form in order for people to be able to enter their identifications of classmates and for others to view those identifications.

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM - Response #7

What you do is copy the survey code into a gallery page (or the new pages one can now create).

Here's an example LINK

Notice that is a gallery page, not a survey page.

You should also be able to do that to any new page too!

Edited 07/05/13 4:56 PM
Friday, July 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM - Response #8

Jack - OK. Getting closer. I copied that portion of the source code to a new page. I then activated the page and responded to the questions. I received the "Thank You" message and when I looked at the survey results in the Survey Maker, they were there. Great!

Next, I logged out of my Admin ID and logged in under a different ID without Admin rights. I answered the questions and clicked Submit. I was then presented with a blank screen. When I logged out and logged back in as Admin and checked survey results - the second set of answers were not there.

So, unless I am missing something it looks like the same issue.Sad

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM - Response #9

Looks like a bug in CC surveys since it works for admin entered surveys and I'm really a classmate when I do that (submit a survey).

I've never used surveys so it took me a sec to duplicate what you are seeing.

I bet the simplest fix for CC is to actually make inactive surveys accessible via the link to the survey. IOW, get rid of the inactive messageIdea

If you think about it, how could a classmate get to a survey in the first place unless he had a direct link to the survey. To solve the "old" survey problem, needs one more status: Closed. Once a survey is closed, then no more entries are accepted.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM - Response #10

Barbara - Please try your Test Page again. I think it is now working the way we would want this to.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM - Response #11

Inactive surveys are now accessible. Putting the code on another page not so much. Would be nice to be able to transport that too. since it gives a lot more flexibility for things like this discussion.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM - Response #12

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Barbara - Please try your Test Page again. I think it is now working the way we would want this to.

Scott - Sorry I missed the update email. Just saw this now & it is working perfectly! Thanks so much.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.