ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

guest password

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/14/09 09:51 PM Views: 2484 Replies: 23
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM

How do I issue someone a guest password?
Thanks

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM - Response #1

Welcome Michael.

There are two types of guests, Displaying Guests, and Non Displaying Guests.

Displaying Guests: For visible guests the guest simply clicks on his or her own name and joins your site the same way Classmates do, thus they create their own password.

Non Displaying Guests: You must create passwords yourself for Non Displaying Guests. If you do this, you'll need to provide the password to the guest (i.e. email it to them, call the guest on the phone, etc).

In the area where you select the Guest type there is a little "Help" link you might want to click on that provides further information about each Guest Type.

Edited 04/14/09 10:40 PM
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM - Response #2

thank you very much.
Mike

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

Welcome Michael.

There are two types of guests, Displaying Guests, and Non Displaying Guests.

Displaying Guests: For visible guests the guest simply clicks on his or her own name and joins your site the same way Classmates do, thus they create their own password.

Non Displaying Guests: You must create passwords yourself for Non Displaying Guests. If you do this, you'll need to provide the password to the guest (i.e. email it to them, call the guest on the phone, etc).

In the area where you select the Guest type there is a little "Help" link you might want to click on that provides further information about each Guest Type.

Brad,
I'm back again.!.. Asking all sorts of questions. We had our reunion last week-end and the reunion planner was Great! helpful. So I'm here again asking different questions to better do my site.
Here goes>>> That's great to set them up as a new member (which doesn't show) and give them a password.
But! [and I know I'm probably missing something]but how to THEY get on the site if they can't see anything, such as their name etc.
I'm confused..... Doesn't take much.....
And also, Class of '64, my site, the homepage has so many spaces but I can't seem to find any under the source button... Thanks for the help in advance.
Faye

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM - Response #4

Boy Faye that was timing I just set one up for my site. And when I was done I checked to see how they would sign on without their name being listed. On the home page they would put in their email address and the password that you would give them. And their in. I also found that they aren't listed on the statistics so you don't know if they have been on or not. Not sure I like that...

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM - Response #5

Thank You Ann,
I set it up but couldn't try it out as I didn't know how. So if they just log in with THEIR email and password that I issued them where it says return login, or something of the nature. Is that correct. ? Thank you so very much. I will send the password on and they will give it a try. Thanks for the quick response.
Faye

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM - Response #6

Faye as long as you set it up and put their email in and issue them a password it will work. I logged off and then logged on as the guest to check it out and it worked for me.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM - Response #7

Sounds like you figured it out. Non Displaying Guests are exactly that -- non displaying. It's just a way of allowing people to get into your site and browse protected areas without actually being a member of the site. That's why you're not seeing these people included in any member statistics -- they're not members. You've basically given them a "secret guest pass" so to speak. If you want a guest to actually be a member and included in your statistics, etc., then just set the Guest to be a Displaying Guest instead of a Non Displaying Guest.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 1:37 AM - Response #8

Faye,

Spaces in your site are usually blank paragraphs and things like that. If you look in your source code you'll see things like

and
tags.

means new paragraph, and
means break.

will put in a couple spaces, while
will put in one space. If you see extra space, look in your code for these tags and zap them.

I did take a quick look at your code and zapped a couple extra spaces. Unfortunately the blank space after your first plugin is being caused by the plugins themselves. I have no idea why, it's not our code. For whatever raeson one or more plugins have blank space included. You might try rearranging where they appear on the page.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM - Response #9

Thanks again Brad for all your help, and thanks again for your wonderful class creator. At the reunion they were all wondering if the web site would stay or go away now! They are getting the hang of it and loving it. Thanks for doing something special for a whole bunch of people accross the US. we love it and thanks for your ingenuity for bringing it to us. You truly need a thanks once in awhile, so THANK YOU!
Thanks for the help with the spaces. Now I can take a deeper look and as you said rearrange some things. "Will be talking to you soon, I'm sure". Faye

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM - Response #10

Thanks Faye. It's our job, but also a labor of love. Glad you're enjoying the system.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM - Response #11

I set myself up as a non-displaying member so I could test the site.

Today I was looking through the list of classmates on the In Memory page and my Ken TEST Kelsey account shows there.

If it is no-displaying then the name should not show on any list on the site except the manage classmates list. Right?

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM - Response #12

I agree with Ken, Non-displaying Guest members should not appear in the "In Memory - Contact Us - Drop-down" on the class_inmemory_contact_form.cfm page.

I also think that Last Names for women (married last names) should appear in the drop-down, not just the High School Last Name.

I also think that people that are already on the "In Memory" page shouldn't be listed on the drop-down (unless someone wants to contact the admin to say that THIS PERSON IS NOT DECEASED). Maybe the already "In Memory" classmates can be marked with a "*" or something like that.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 10:08 PM - Response #13

All 3 "I think's" will be implemented. Thank you both.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM - Response #14

I don't know why I'm having a problem with your instructions below, it may be that I'm still recovering from my reunion Saturday! :0)

non Displaying Guests: You must create passwords yourself for Non Displaying Guests. If you do this, you'll need to provide the password to the guest (i.e. email it to them, call the guest on the phone, etc).

Where do I begin...what tab do I go to, to create a password.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM - Response #15

Click to actually make the member a non displaying guest. When you click the rest happens automatically. I.E. you will be prompted for a password for that guest. You can'd do this or see this at all unless you actually click to specify that the member should be a Non Displaying Guest Member (i.e. click on "Do not show on class list" and then follow the directions on screen.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM - Response #16

Oh my Click where?? I'm so sorry, I'm not getting it???

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM - Response #17

If you're adding a new Member do this:

1) Click Manage Classmates
2) Click the Enter/Edit Classmates button
3) Click the Add New Member button
4) On the resulting screen note the options to show on class list. If you are creating a non displaying Guest Member, you of course want to select "do not show on Class List."

If you want to make an existing member a non Displaying Guest Member instead:

1) Click Manage Classmates
2) Click the Enter/Edit Classmates button
3) Click the Details link next to the Member's name
4) Note the options for showing the member on the Class list. Change to "do not show on Class List" if desired.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 10:51 PM - Response #18

Thank you Brad, wow, that was simple!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM - Response #19

Hello Brad,
I read the thread on Guest Members. How do I make the guest non-displaying? This is all I find on my add class member page.

Show On Class List: Yes No Show as Guest Member [help]

"There are two types of guests, Displaying Guests, and Non Displaying Guests.
In the area where you select the Guest type there is a little "Help" link you might want to click on that provides further information about each Guest Type."

I have entered a specific guest selecting NO, but did not get anything that allowed me to create a password. Deleted same and started over. I entered her as Show as Guest and still do not get a create password option. I have only been able to create a password by showing her as a guest member and completing the login process. I know that there is an easier way, but for some reason, I'm not getting it.

What am I missing?

Glenn Ellen

Edited 09/02/10 3:12 PM
Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM - Response #20

Hi Glenn,

The member password is directly below the Primary Email Address and just before the Alternate email address. I see that field for all guests. If you tell me the first or last name of the guest I can check again.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM - Response #21

Okay, Jessica,

I'm not talking about the completed set up of a guest member. I am talking about the initial Add Class Member page to enter a guest member. The password field is not there. Here is what I get when I add a new member.

Add Class Member Details

First Name:        
Last/Maiden Name:        
Married Last Name:        
Leave blank if same as Last/Maiden Name.
Primary Email:        
Enter email address.
Email address also serves as site login address.
Alternate Email:        
Enter one or more email addresses, separated by commas, if you would like to receive email notifications to email addresses other than your primary email address. Please note, only your primary email address can be used to log into our system.

Please tell me how I can establish a non-display guest and give them a password that I can send to them in an e-mail?

Glenn Ellen

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM - Response #22

Add them first as a Guest choosing the non-display option and then go back to their Details page and assign them a password.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM - Response #23

Thank you! Now, how easy is that. I knew it would be simple once I had all the steps.

Glenn Ellen

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.