ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

What does READ ONLY mean in the forum?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/03/09 09:44 AM Views: 1350 Replies: 3
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Hey,
Can you give me some advice? I thought that read-only would mean that the topic in the forum would not be able to be responded to...it does not apparently. Is there any way to disable the reply feature?

Also, I have a classmate who was recently 'in my face' over 'censoring' his post. I deleted his unappropriate post altogether. Can you give me some advice on how to do that without creating such a stir? Is there any wording out there already that I could post in a 'How to use this Forum' Topic? Some rules? I realize we are dealing with adults here, so I am not trying to be overbearing, but I would like to have some recourse should an unappropriate thread appear on my site.

I was so upset by the whole thing that I considered disabling my forum...which is just now taking off. BUT I don't want to let this one incident cause 'the rest of us' to miss a blessing of using the forum for some fun.

Thank you very much!

Edited 06/03/09 9:45 AM
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM - Response #1

Boy Connie I can feel for you on this one. I did the same thing. And I was called a censor nazi!! I was ready to walk away and was upset for a couple days. Then I heard from other classmates that were behind me on it. After I calmed down I sent out a mass email explaining some rules and regulations for the forum. And things have been better since then. So your rules need to be what you want. The best thing I found written on this site that has helped me a lot is...

This is your site!! You created it!! You maintain it!! so you have every right to make what ever rules and decisions need to be made to keep the peace!! You have invested a lot of time in it and don't let one person take that away from you. And if they don't like it? Let them walk. I wish I had let mine walk when I had the chance. I still get complaints about him. Most of us have learned to ignore him.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM - Response #2

Thanks Ann -- couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll check into the read only issue. That's what it's supposed to be doing, yes.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:00 PM - Response #3

All right, long story short, what you want to do is just click "Lock this thread" underneath the thread itself. This will prevent any further responses. You can also do this immediately after entering a new item, thus never allowing any responses if you want to.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.