ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Message Center on Multi Year Site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/31/11 01:41 PM Views: 1367 Replies: 5
Monday, January 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Message Center Addressing, Multi Year.JPG

I just converted my Single Year Class of 1960 to Multi Year. That went very well, and I was able to see how to eventually use my same website simulating a Single Year, after the new Alumni Page becomes available later this year. However, I am beginning to like the Multi Year site, for use on my Small Classes in a Small School.....probably the perfect school situation that Multi Year was truly designed for, where we will have Reunions for multiple classes.

Question however on the Message Center. I am attaching a file Snip of addressing in Message Center. I can understand addressing to a specific year by using dropdown and select recipient. However, I still have a few "Guests" of the 1960 year, and find it confusing for the classmate to address one of them. The other Guests were changed to Classmates of the respective inclusive year.

Seems to me that the ALL selection, and click GO, would just show the whole kaboodle of all years, and all addressable Guests, and would be much simpler. Only way my classmate seems able to address one of these Guests is to know what Year they are assigned to, or use Search by name. Am I missing something out of this view that is new to me?

Monday, January 31, 2011 at 2:12 PM - Response #1

Ohhhh, I think I figured it out. It is confusing though.

GO really doesn't seem to do anything, when ALL selected. You have to hit the button below; Display all classmates in my Graduation Year.

Then everyone in system, Classmate or Guest does show.

Maybe need to get rid of the GO button, as it really doesn't seem to have a function (select a specific year, just shows before touch GO). Also, the words on the Button are more than "Display All Classmates in My Graduation Year". Confusing at least to me. Perhaps should read Display my Selection Above, or something.

Maybe I just am not clear as yet on how that works.

Edited 01/31/11 7:44 PM
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM - Response #2

Derrell - I tend to agree. I'd like to see the Go, go. It just confuses the page.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM - Response #3

The Go button can go so I took it out.

The button below has to stay. It's a quick way of just seeing Classmates from your own year, which is often the group multi-year Admins email the most. That same button is on single year sites and just says "Display All Classmates". It's all the same system, the button is essential so Admins can quickly see a list of all names if they want to rather than using the search feature above.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM - Response #4

The Go button can go..........poor old me. I just keep thinking of Go Go girls...........LOL, a time long past.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM - Response #5

A little background, followed by a SUGGESTION. I changed my Class of 1960 to a Multi Year site, hoping to provide essentially the future Alumi Page until released. What I eventually found, my classes of 1959 thru 1961 are very "hesitant" to register on two websites; i.e. - their Own Year, plus the 1960 HOST to communicate with 1959 thru 1961. Too much confustion for this older group, and they just won't do it for the most part.

In retrospect, I could have just provided the link to "visit" the other sites using System Password, and that is where I essentially am right now. I kind of wish I had never made my site Multi Year.

I have been experimenting with my Planned eventual return to Single Year "look alike" (I know you don't REVERSE), and have found that I can replicate everywhere including the Class Profiles using the preference to show List instead of by years. I also went ahead and deleted other year classmates that have not joined, as they likely never will. If someone does want to join, I will add them in on request. Those that have joined, I just changed them back to Guests and left them in the Year of Graduation.

What I am having an issue with is the Message Center. It doesn't appear I can ever really get back to Single Year list of classmates and Guests of that Year. The ALL does not seem to do anything. Now if I want to send a Message to selected Class of 1960 and some Class of 1959 or 1961, I can't see the "addressees" without a bunch of Show Year stuff.

SUGGESTION: Have the MESSAGE CENTER selection ALL do something. It doesn't seem to activate anything, unless I misunderstand the intent. And/Or provide an OPTION like has been done for Classmate Profiles to show Messge Center as List, rather than by Year. I don't care if the Year stays in by their name, just show the whole classmate and Guests by List, alphabetically. That way, I could see everyone possible to send a message, and I would happily return to generally a Single Year Class.

Edited 03/01/11 10:47 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.