ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Global setting to protect all profiles

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/05/13 06:45 AM Views: 874 Replies: 9
Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I am just setting up the site and wanted to know if there is a way to "globally" protect all profiles from being seen by search engines, etc. I would like the default for classmate profiles to be "do not show" and if the classmate chooses to change it, then that's their choice, but I'd like to start out with it off so I'm not responsible for any inadvertently displayed personal information. I have 480+ classmates and do not want to have to do it one at a time.
Any way to do that? Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM - Response #1

Yes. This is the Profile Privacy Override which is available upon request of an admin and is added on our end by support staff. By requesting this option, there is no longer a choice that is presented to any of your members on the matter and everyone who visits your classmate profiles page will need to be logged in, in order to view an existing member's profile. I have just added this in place for your class.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM - Response #2

Thank you, Scott! You've saved me hours of work.
Is it still a choice for the individual member to change that?

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM - Response #3

The user is not presented the option once the override has been activated.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM - Response #4

OK. Thanks again.

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM - Response #5

Hi I just tried searching for a classmate name and the profile came up from our website. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the profiles would not show up in a search once the global setting was done. Is this working correctly?

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM - Response #6

Go to your website. Click the Log Out link under the Member Functions and then try to located Google again. You will still see the results in Google, however when you click the link, you will be asked to log in.

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM - Response #7

Scott, I logged out. Went to Google and put in classmate Julie Herting. Google came up with a reference in teaneck59.com our site. When I clicked on it, I was brought to Julie's profile page and asked if I was Julie. I thought the reference would be invisible to search engines.

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM - Response #8

That page is there for Julie to find and join your site. It is the same page that Julie would find if she came to your site and clicked on the Join link, or if she were to go to the Classmate Profiles page and clicked on her name. This page is necessary for your classmates to join the system.

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM - Response #9

I see. Thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.