ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Email The Class - Preferred Name

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/15/13 03:07 PM Views: 925 Replies: 2
Friday, November 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Years ago I asked if this feature could be added. Many others thought it was a great idea. Its the use of a "Preferred Name" field.

This would help personalize emails to everyone!

Trying to send a personal email to 6000 alumni is impossible with the current system. If we use the "email the class" feature using the personalized method it currently goes out as, "Hi John Anthony", or "Hi Millie H.", or Hi "D. C.", or "Hi W. Bruce", or "Hi Micheal Arthur Lewis".

Many don't like their full names used or seen. Since we don't have a Preferred Feature, we've asked them to enter their preferred name as part of their name in single quotes in the case of someone called Chester who goes by 'Chet'.

We should be able to email on a more personal level like, " Hi Bruce, or "Hi Chet", or "Hi Mary".

Currently when classmates register they can update or change their name from what we originally downloaded into the system. Normally their full legal name is what we've entered when we set up the database.

Alumni sometimes leave it as is. Sometimes they changed it to just their nickname. Sometimes the ladies change it, remove their maiden name and only use their married name or the other way around. There's all sorts of variations of what happens. Some people have even changed their names to just initials. This does not help people remember who they are.

If there was a way to keep the original we entered but allow alumni to provide a preferred use name it would help us in many ways. We don't know what people go by now. I know some who used to go by their middle name or by a nickname but now go by their first name or middle name (I don't use my first name but have always used my middle name. Anyway it would be a very useful feature.

Is this something still on the drawing table or close to being an added feature? Thanks Smile

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM - Response #1

Hi Bruce,
This is on for after the app launch.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.