ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Can Administrators See Who's on Site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/24/10 01:34 PM Views: 1523 Replies: 4
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Is it possible now for Administrators to see everyone who is on the site? If not, can it be made possible?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM - Response #1

You can use the Who's online feature box for the homepage, however this does display for everyone. It is not currently set up to be view only by Admins. You can turn that on by going to Edit Site Pages > Home Page > and then locate it in the Right Modules box to activate it.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM - Response #2

So, is it possible that in the near future you can provide administrators with the option of seeing who's online without the members seeing it?

The reason I ask: several members were adamant early on that they didn't like this feature and that they preferred not to be shown. Since there was no such option on the operation, I basically had to leave it turned off.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM - Response #3

I don't understand why you had to turn off IM. There are currently 2 ways in which a Classmate can be seen online:

1) You've enabled the home page Who's Online box
2) You've enabled Instant Messaging abilities on your site

If the Classmate chooses to hide their name in the Who's Online box (which is a setting that is remembered so the Classmate doesn't have to keep setting it) OR they chose to be Invisible on the Instant Messaging system, it sets that person to invisible for BOTH areas. This way anybody who never wants to be seen online never has to be, without you having to take down the entire system for those who wish to utilize it. If other people were enjoying it I'd recommend turning it back on and letting anybody who doesn't want to participate simply opt out.

None of this answers your question so let me answer that: No. If somebody wants to be invisible then they want to be invisible. If we're going to make an exception for Admins then we have to make that exception known, which I think is more interface clutter and trouble than it's worth. You do have a list of Last Logins in your Statistics area, but the number of logins daily, duration of those logins etc. are not tracked. That's about all we want to go on stuff like this. People have a right to privacy if they want it so we have to keep a balance here between Admin's right to know and user's right to not leave tracks.

Edited 08/24/10 3:13 PM
Monday, August 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM - Response #4

I had the same question in mind this evening. Thanks for your reply, Brad. Though it would be good to see who is on at any given time, I appreciate the privacy issue and that you/Class Creator are so considerate.

This is simply another fact that makes Class Creator the place to be.

With appreciation,

Gwen

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.