ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Facebook pulling photos from profiles

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/01/15 12:13 AM Views: 1594 Replies: 16
Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Hello!

I noticed on my class website on Facebook, it has pulled photos from all the classmates photo albums they have an account on Facebook.

Is there a way I can turn that off? I don't think some of the classmates will be happy about me using their photos without their consent

Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM - Response #1

Are you talking about the Class Connection Facebook app, or something happening on your regular Facebook class group?

If the app, do you mean when classmates join the app some of them are winding up with their Facebook photo as their class photo? If so that's normal. If there is no master photo one of the app permissions they grant allows pulling the Facebook photo and using it as the class site Master Photo. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Edited 02/01/15 4:03 PM
Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 8:36 PM - Response #2

I was talking about the facebook app. No, its not their profile pics. For example, the photos I have in my photo albums on my reglar FB account are all showing up under the facebook app under photos As well as all the photos from my classmates albums. Also, I have a bigger problem now. Sad

I sent out a class email and copied and pasted the link to the facebook app page into the email. I had several classmates email me back and said when they click on my links,it takes them straight to my profile and shows me logged on. they said anyone could change my personal info on my account.

What do I need to do to change that? I tried changing my password, but it still gives everyone access to it.

Edited 02/02/15 12:12 AM
Monday, February 2, 2015 at 2:00 AM - Response #3

Brad, I have a question. It's not exactly the same topic but it does involve Class Connection. I joined Xlass Connection. I'm an administrator. No one else on my site has joined Class Connection. Can Facebook go to my website through my Class Connection door, ans as a Administrator go into the admin. functions that I can?I ask this because that would mean the administrator functions are compromised. Not that I have big secrets there, but those functions are allowed to be done by admin. only for a reason. The young lady made me think about it.
Barbara
P.S. You changed your photo. Looks more distinguished.
BE

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM - Response #4

Class Connection is able to tap into your Facebook photos if you want it to. For instance, if you wish to share a photo that you've previously uploaded to Facebook, you can do that. That doesn't happen automatically though. You hae to go in and share something. I think that's all you're seeing, and unless you've chosen to share any of your Facebook photos with your classmates, then they're not shared. Only the ones with a green checkmark indicates you've chosen to share the photo. What you're seeing is completely normal.

No, no link you can send to somebody will allow them to change your personal information. When they visit your Profile they'll see a picture of you, which is normal. Can you give me the link you sent to people? To change anything on your account somebody would have to be logged in as you. Did more than one person really say this? I suspect this was just somebody's misconception.

Kimberly Pringle wrote:

I was talking about the facebook app. No, its not their profile pics. For example, the photos I have in my photo albums on my reglar FB account are all showing up under the facebook app under photos As well as all the photos from my classmates albums. Also, I have a bigger problem now. Sad

I sent out a class email and copied and pasted the link to the facebook app page into the email. I had several classmates email me back and said when they click on my links,it takes them straight to my profile and shows me logged on. they said anyone could change my personal info on my account.

What do I need to do to change that? I tried changing my password, but it still gives everyone access to it.

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:14 PM - Response #5

No. Good question though. This is a common concern. The truth is it actually works totally in reverse. In other words, our app is able to tap into your Facebook information (with your permission). Facebook can't tap into a single thing on the app. Literally nothing. The only thing we send through Facebook is Notify Me notifications.

So you see, it's really us that you need to be trusting with your Facebook data. It's not Facebook that you need to be trusting with your class data.

Barbara* Ecker wrote:

Brad, I have a question. It's not exactly the same topic but it does involve Class Connection. I joined Xlass Connection. I'm an administrator. No one else on my site has joined Class Connection. Can Facebook go to my website through my Class Connection door, ans as a Administrator go into the admin. functions that I can?I ask this because that would mean the administrator functions are compromised. Not that I have big secrets there, but those functions are allowed to be done by admin. only for a reason. The young lady made me think about it.
Barbara
P.S. You changed your photo. Looks more distinguished.
BE

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 1:23 PM - Response #6

In regards to the photo's we have a guy who went t the site and copies the photo's and then posted to his facebook site. I guess there is nothing that I can do about this.

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM - Response #7

Correct, unless you can claim exclusive publishing rights to the photos and request he remove them.

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 8:14 PM - Response #8

In the future you only want to give out: https://apps.facebook.com/classconnection

Monday, February 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM - Response #9

Will do. I guess there is nothing I can do at this point other than hope noone decides to use their access to change anything on my accounts. Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 4:43 AM - Response #10

I ask this question because I do not know the answer and it's not intended to be "disrespectful" When people "join" our "website" using the Facebook integration application view, do they still not have to provide class website administrators with their contact information the way they have to when they come directly to the Class Creator website? Was wondering if they had to do so now. Has us also wondering if Class Creator will someday eliminate their information gathering "form". Hope not.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM - Response #11

No, they do not.

This is simply because the process works differently. When you install a Facebook app the first thing the user does is grant "Permissions". These permissions allow us to pull certain things from their Facebook account, such as email address. You get their email address just due to them installing the Facebook app alone.

Once inside the app we give the classmates a series of Next Steps, which includes asking them for their contact info. While they may opt to leave this blank, most have been filling it in. If nothing else, you at least have their email address so you can contact them and ask for more contact info if needed.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM - Response #12

I was posting on the Facebook app and noticed my post posted twice. I went in to delete one of them and both of them were deleted.

So, I went to manage classmates to see if there was anything unusual there and I actually show up on the classmates list twice. I thought I could delete one of them and everything would be ok, but it doesn't give me the option to delete one of them?

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM - Response #13

Long story but the link actually caused the redundancy. All sorted out.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM - Response #14

You totally rock!! Thanks for all your help. Smile

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM - Response #15

Thank you for the reply. I have some follow ups, based on it.

Brad Switzer wrote:

Once inside the app we give the classmates a series of Next Steps, which includes asking them for their contact info. While they may opt to leave this blank, most have been filling it in. If nothing else, you at least have their email address so you can contact them and ask for more contact info if needed.

In the cases where people do give their contact information, is the data Class Creator now shares with class administrators in the form of enabling us to see it when viewing the new members the editable and regular profile views of their profile page? When we (admins) used the app, none of we're able to see any of the contact information for those who had joined our site through the app. Now you appear to be saying you acquire contact info from some people, who are willing to provide it to you, but do not share it with website administrators, with the exception of email addresses. Respectfully. That produces a raise of the eyebrow and some concern. (You have a person's contact information, which they consented to providing, but won't share it with us, the CC website administrators.)

And is this ability to opt out something that Facebook insisted on it during the partnership negotiations between Class Creator and Facebook for the app?

Edited 02/04/15 5:05 AM
Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM - Response #16

Yes you see the contact info under the regular Contact Info area and Profile area.

No, any contact info acquired is available to the Admin to see. There is no information we can see that you can't see.

There were no negotiations between Facebook and Class Creator. We've never spoken to Facebook. They would never have time to speak to all the developers who create apps any more than Google would have time to negotiate with developers making Android apps for the Google Play store.

Rather, you simply need to meet Facebook's terms and conditions to create a Facebook app. If you do something they don't like you'll probably hear from them. If you follow all the rules you probably never will. We never have.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.