ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Scanning a booklet

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/15/08 10:31 PM Views: 1727 Replies: 7
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I would like to scan a booklet from a previous reunion. I would like it to read as a book on the webpage, is that possible? Such as you click on the page, and it turns the page? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks! Any suggestions for this would be great!

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM - Response #1

I've seen such a tool before... my buddy at UCF showed it to me. It was actually REALLY cool.

I think it was this tool called Desktop Author...
http://www.desktopauthor.com/

It's not free though... looks like it's about $80 (Autralian Dollars)

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM - Response #2

Take a look at what I've done with reunion booklets on the Reunion page. If this is what you're looking for the site is ISSUU and it's free.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 12:56 AM - Response #3

neat!

Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM - Response #4

I found this prior post:

We had success geting our entire yearbook online using ISSUU at 83PHS.com.

ISSUU does a nicer job of displaying the yearbook and allowing classmates to flip thru than any of the other sites we tried.

ISSUU only accepts PDF files and is a bit quirky as to the versions of PDF that it will accept.

To make it work you need to combine all of the images of your pages into a single pdf file.

The pages will flip nicer if you optimize each of the original images of your yearbook pages for fast web viewing. Resave each year book page image as a 72dpi tiff file. Photoshop can easily automate this for all the pages.

Import all the pages as a group into adobe acrobat.
Save the single acrobat file optimized for compatibility with the older Acrobat version 5.

Issuu often chokes if you skip that last step. Issuu has trouble reading version 9 of adobe acrobat.

If you dont have Photshop CS3 and Adobe Acrobat Professional 9, you can download 30 day evals for free off of the Adobe website.

Getting the yearbook online was extraordinarily helpful in generating interest on our site and getting more classmates to register.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM - Response #5

I used ISSUU for just the senior portraits from all four yearbooks covered on my multi year site. I love how they turned out.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM - Response #6

I have uploaded my yearbook to ISSUU and copied the link to my yearbook page but all it did was place the url. How did you make the link to the website so it takes you directly to the book? Also for the pages you have on your yearbook page did you upload those as photos?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:40 AM - Response #7

Mike,

How I did my booklets on Issuu was first to scan the pages and save as jpg file. Then I opened them in Photo Shop and reduced the size so I could use the "save for web" option(thus reducing the size of the file) I then used my Print Master program to up load the pages using the scrapbook option, so I could add as many pages as I wanted/needed, then after I got them to fit the page, I saved them through the "save as pdf". I then uploaded that to Issuu.

To actually embed your booklet, go to the booklet you want to embed on Issuu, and open it. There is a tab at the top left that says embed. Click it and it will ask you which color of back ground you want. Choose one, then click next. It will ask you what code you want. I use the one for HTML.

On your site got to the page you want it on, under the edit function, when the box loads, click source. Then paste your booklet code there, and hit save.

I know there is probably an easier way, but I had to work with what I have. Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.