ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Site Pages 'Not Secure'

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/18/20 03:51 PM Views: 550 Replies: 8
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 3:51 PM

All 22 of the pages on mbhs74.com not included under 'Member Functions' or 'Admin Functions' are showing as 'Not Secure' in the browser's address bar. I have sent 4 emails to Class Creator requesting help on this topic over the last 6 weeks and have received no response. Our classmates are concerned about the security of their personal data.
Help please!

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM - Response #1

I am in the same boat (Site pages NOT Secure). What is up? Today I cannot get on our class website, and yesterday the Admin functions are not sending class emails.

Are you still in business?

I wish I could telephone someone!!!

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM - Response #2

I have the same problem. I cannot find their telephone number. Do you have it?

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 12:38 PM - Response #3

My site is still working as usual with the 'Not Secure' pages. And I can't find a telephone number anywhere! So frustrating. Some of my classmates are asking me to take the site down if Class Creator can't secure the pages.

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM - Response #4

Something has changed? I think Profiles used to be "https" (AKA secure) and now they are not. It's not something I check often. Indeed, I think some other pages that used to be secure now are not. I bet this has something to do with "buying" into security that was promised a long long time ago now. Twisted Evil

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM - Response #5

Phone number for Class Creator: (734) 585-5604.

Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM - Response #6

Thank you, Scott! Hopefully they'll answer my call!

Friday, January 1, 2021 at 9:14 AM - Response #7

Cindy, did you ever find out why it says Not Secure? I have the problem also.

Friday, January 1, 2021 at 11:11 AM - Response #8

Hi Sandy, it's a real problem with no foreseeable resolution. This was John Ralph's response to me a few months ago. He is one of CC's expert 'mentors' who is also a class administrator. You can post a question to him for further discussion:

Class Creator is planning (someday) to do something about the lack of security shown by browsers. In fact, a couple weeks ago there was a new option to add security for your domain name in the admin functions list - but it's gone now.

Back in 2019 when the browsers began to show "Not Secure" warnings, I posted this explanation for all to read. Since then, I have not had any questions.

10/30/2019 New Browser Warnings

The newest versions of internet browsers (like Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc) have been changed to encourage users to use 'secure' network links - which start with https instead of http, and warn the user if the page they are viewing is 'not secure'. Different browsers display the "Not Secure" notice in different ways, but any version of "Not Secure" may concern those who see it.

First, the the word "Secure" really means that network traffic between the web site and the browser you're using to access the web site is encrypted using an https/SSL connection. Using https (which only works where the web site is configured to handle it), really means that encryption is being used to stop someone else out there in the network (or in the coffee shop where you might be using their free wi-fi) from watching what you send and receive.

There are three conditions you'll see as you access our web site:

(1) There are pages on our web site which are open to 'everyone' and should never contain personal info - such as jokes, funny stories, and even the basic home page - none of which should need to be 'secure'. The basic home page will not contain personal information, and you might notice that the home page changes after you log in to display much more - like the Where We Live box, Birthday box, Announcements set to "Logged in Only", etc.
(2) There are pages like the Login screen, updating your Contact Information, or creating/reading a Private message, all of which may contain personal information and should be secure - and they are. Our web site automatically switches to an encrypted connection when you're on those pages.
(3) Other pages such as member profiles (and other pages we choose to restrict - like the Message Forum, Recent Activity, or the full class list of names) which could contain personal info can only be seen by registered and verified members who are logged in. Access to those pages is not encrypted, but... access is only available to logged in members. Outsiders (and search engines) are denied access and asked to log in if they try to view them.

Our web site has a combination of (1) 'open' pages like 50's Flashbacks and Just For Laughs, (2) pages where the system encrypts any network traffic while on those pages, and (3) pages that can only be seen by registered and logged in classmates. Despite the browser warnings, our site - and your personal data - is secure where it needs to be.

John

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.