ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Divider

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/22/17 11:43 AM Views: 4150 Replies: 12
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Is it possible to change the colour or thickness of a horizontal line? It hardly shows up on my grey background.

Edited 03/22/17 11:43 AM
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM - Response #1

I added some custom CSS to your Preferences page and then I added corresponding code to your HR tags in the Source View of your page. I set the line height to 5. You can make adjustments as needed by viewing the source.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM - Response #2

Thanks bunches!! I didn't even think to go into source.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:51 PM - Response #3

Susan, in the Privacy Concerns section at the bottom of your home page, you mention, "Your e-address is not seen by anyone unless you want it to be seen," and "Unless you explicitly grant your permission, your e-address and contact info is not visible to our classmates." I don't believe it is possible for a classmate to grant permission for either their email, street address, or phone number to be visible to anyone. I believe this is a built-in security feature by default and cannot be altered by a classmate. If I'm right, you may wish to consider altering these two sentences. Caveat: of course, administrators may view the email, street address, and phone number, but this does not require the permission of the classmate. It's a built-in feature of the administrative set-up.

Edited 03/23/17 12:29 AM
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:56 PM - Response #4

Thanks for the heads up. That announcement has not been updated in over 6 yrs when the site was first built. I have removed the whole privacy section and will come up with something different.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM - Response #5

We have a similar privacy message, and the wording refers to an added profile Question/Answer box labeled "Viewable Contact Information" with a hint that it's optional and can only be seen by logged in and verified web site members. Quite a few classmates have duplicated their email address, phone numbers, and street address there, and it's been handy for others who are traveling and stopped to touch base.

Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 3:12 AM - Response #6

Scott - can I choose to single space when I hit Return ? Currently, I get double spacing whenever I hit Return. I don’t seem to have an option.

Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 3:40 AM - Response #7

Choosing single space is easy.

In the editor, on the third row down, click on "Format," the second box in. For double spacing, click on "Normal," the first choice in the column. For single spacing, click on "Normal (DIV)," the last choice in the column.

Edited 03/17/22 12:56 PM
Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 1:21 PM - Response #8

There's another way to get single space when pressing "return".
Press the SHIFT key and then RETURN. AKA SHIFT+RETURN

Source looks like this- first is return+shift, second is "div"

Edited 03/17/22 1:25 PM
Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 12:08 AM - Response #9

Paula Polito wrote:

Scott - can I choose to single space when I hit Return ? Currently, I get double spacing whenever I hit Return. I don’t seem to have an option.

Jack is right, Paula. I've used this on my sites for years. It is now a habit.

SHIFT+RETURN Smile

Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 12:10 AM - Response #10

Hi Scott Moore. I agree your step works. Call me lazy... I prefer not to reach for the mouse. Wink

Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 3:18 AM - Response #11

Gwen,

Actually, you can be the laziest by clicking on "Normal (DIV)." Click on it once and you have single spacing for everything on the page that follows. I wish "Normal (DIV") was the default setting instead of "Normal." Single spacing is much more common than double spacing, especially for text.

Edited 03/19/22 3:20 AM
Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM - Response #12

Maybe this will help explain the reason for the default "double space". It is related to the difference between html display vs "typing". When a line exceeds the width, one just keeps on typing and the text "wraps". On a typewriter, the "return" key is used. The "double" space is meant to separate paragraphs (noted as < p > in html>, although some don't use that type of style.

It's easy to switch back and forth though, so pick whatever works.

One could also redefine the "spacing" used for "p" to be single space in terms of how it looks (uses CSS style).

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.