ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

bogus classsmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/02/09 02:56 PM Views: 1301 Replies: 3
Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I really don't think there is a fix for what is happening on our site. We have now had 3 "supposed" class members sign up.Someone has been putting in false info and we have no idea who it is. The person actually put in another class member's phone #. I changed the pass words on the first two but today I just put the correct info in.(They haven't signed on but we have spoken to them and have verified info.) I can't believe someone would do it not once or twice but are now on the third person. Any thoughts.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM - Response #1

There actually is a "fix" for this as you put it. We often refer to this as hijacking. It's rare overall, but when it's happening to you it sure is annoying.

Our anti hijacking feature (officlaly knows as the New Classmate Verification feature) is located under your Preferenes link. Simply turn it on. This won't prevent a bugus person from joining your web site, but what it will do is render that person totally helpless to do anything whatsoever on your site. Essentially, they are invisible. You're obviously not going to authenticate a bogus person, thus just delete the hijacker and reset the name of the original Classmate.

When hijackers realize they're rendered helpless and are incapable of doing anything whatsoever, they'll quickly grow tired of doing this and give up. My oh my I can only wish I had as much time on my hands as some people out there...

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM - Response #2

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not sure if we're seeing the same thing or not. A person I've never heard of asked to join saying he'd moved prior to graduating. I didn't recognize the name (not surprising with over 900 members in our class), so I requested the following:

1) The name of the Jr. High he attended
2) The name of the Elementary school he attended
3) 1 or 2 "references"...people whom he knows.

I will check these out before adding his name as part of the class. If an individual is not in the yearbook or not on our master list, they will have to provide us with some kind of verification. Not sure if this is a good way to go or not, but I couldn't think of anything else. I'd sure be open to suggestions.

Dave

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM - Response #3

We have a few "guests" logged in to our site---but they are entered under "guests" (and are not bogus). They're just not classmates per say. They're either teachers or classmates who didn't, for whatever reason, graduate with our class. So far, they've all "behaved themselves". But I love that the site allows for people other than actual classmates. In fact, I even found my old elementary and junior high classmates by searching the high school THEY would have graduated from. Coincidentally, they are ALSO using Class Creator and that class' moderator kindly let me "join" their class as a guest as well (proving what goes around, comes around). It has been a catalyst for me being able to "re-meet" a few of my best friends from elementary and junior high school! And ALL through Class Creator!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.