ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

upload classmates

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/29/09 02:25 PM Views: 1725 Replies: 15
Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I am having problems uploading my classmates. I was able to do this before our reunion. I reset the reunion part of the website. Now I get the formulas on the spreadsheet along with the names and addresses. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you. Teresa

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM - Response #1

I don't understand what the problem is. You're trying to batch upload additional Classmates to your site using the batch upload feature, correct? When you try it what is happening? Are you getting an error message or what exactly?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM - Response #2

I emailed you an example. What I am refering to is there seems to be extra words(codes) on the spreadsheet.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM - Response #3

Are you starting fresh with the blank import template, or are you using something else? If something else, what specifically?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM - Response #4

I was trying to do it staight from the website. I guess I thought before it just pulled from the website. Now when I try to download the template it says only csv files. It won't do anything. Do I have to re-enter everyone's names. All I need right now is the spreadsheet to send to someone with the high school. My brain must be fried from the reuion. lol

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM - Response #5

Sorry, I'm very confused. Smile

Let's take it from the top. Are you trying to upload additional Classmates to your web site? Or are you trying to download a list of Classmates FROM your web site into the Excel format?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM - Response #6

Sorry, no additional classmates. I just need to download a classlist.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM - Response #7

Ok, I get it. Smile You had said "upload Classmates" in your opening post, which is a totally different thing from downloading a class list from the system. When you send something to the system you're uploading. When you're receiving something from the system you're downloading.

Ok, so if you click on Manage Classmates and then click the Download Classmates button, what format are you selecting and what specifically is happening next?

Friday, October 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM - Response #8

I tried to download in excel. It comes up with all the extra words.

Friday, October 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM - Response #9

What version of Excel do you have? Have you tried downloading in csv and opening that in Excel?

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM - Response #10

Right now I am using Open Office. I thought that is what I had used before. Can't open it in either form. Thanks for your help. Don't need to make changes to it. Just need to send it to the alumni. Wish she would have let me know before I reset the website.

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM - Response #11

I can download classmates using Open Office if I choose CSV (from Manage Classmates, Export Class List, comma separated values). Then you can import it into the calc program of Open Office and it will come in as column text.

Edited 11/01/09 7:18 PM
Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 7:58 PM - Response #12

Thank you very much. I will try that. That must be what someone told me to do last time. Short term memory loss. Don't even want to think what it will be like when the nes reunion comes around. lol

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM - Response #13

Thank you! You rock. Some how that clicked tonight. I was able to get it to work. Thank you again.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM - Response #14

I am setting up our class list in excel. Is there a special format I need to use. ( as in mail merge) I would like everything to transfer correctly so that people can update their profiles. We have not had a reunion in 25 years so our info is not up to date.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM - Response #15

Sharon Nye wrote:

I am setting up our class list in excel. Is there a special format I need to use. ( as in mail merge) I would like everything to transfer correctly so that people can update their profiles. We have not had a reunion in 25 years so our info is not up to date.

Welcome Sharon,

If you want to UPLOAD the classlist, you need to use the UPLOAD TEMPLATE spreadsheet. This is available from the Manage Classmates/Upload Classlist/ Download Template button.

Make sure you read all of the information on the Upload Classlist page.

One important thing to check before uploading is that you have the FIRST NAMES and LAST NAMES in the proper columns of the spreadsheet.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.