ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

embedding a flash video

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/08/11 09:56 AM Views: 1583 Replies: 10
Monday, August 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I can't upload a flash, converted from a powerpoint slide show. Any suggestions?

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM - Response #1

What folder in the file vault are you using?

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM - Response #2

I have just been going to the 'File Vault'. First I pasted the 'embed code' from the flash converter into the page using the source button, and from there I guess I need help.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM - Response #3

I can't see what you did, so unless Kyle or someone that can see what you have uploaded, need more information.

I assume you have uploaded the flash data (the show) to the "File Vault".

Then the next step is to point to that file in your flash player - the 'embed code' - in your html page.

I'm assuming you have a flash player that will let you play flash from your site. I don't know if there are any from external sites, but there are some you can put in your file vault. I created a new directory for this, to make it easier to manage.

If you list the player you want to use, maybe that will help figure this out?

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM - Response #4

I have uploaded the flash data to the file vault into a new folder (flash). It is an HTML file; is that what it should be?

Where in the 'embed code' do I 'point to it'?

I have Adobe Flash Player.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM - Response #5

The flash data is typically a SWF file, not html. So not sure we are talking about the same thing. If you give a link to the file, maybe I can see what you mean. It could be a very simple fix.

The flash player to display directly on the website needs to be one that can play from a website, not the one on one's computer.

But you could link to the SWF and have people use their local flash browser plug-in to view it. If I can see the file link it can resolve this better. I'm assuming there's nothing "private" in the show - if so I understand.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM - Response #6

I think the html thing is the problem; I thought it should be a swf file.
This is the embed code from the flash converter:
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0"
width="100%" height="100%" id="Presente" align="middle" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent"
allowScriptAccess="always" >

allowScriptAccess="always"
name="Presente" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

This is the link that is created when I 'publish' and save it:
file:///C:/Users/Tom/Documents/RTA66/My%20Flash/My%20Flash/RTA66.html

I finally put up a pdf on the site just now but I would really like to know what I am doing wrong and put up a flash.

Thanks.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM - Response #7

Was it Arny Putnam's pdf? (Nice job) Totally off-topic, but I wish we had high quality images like yours. Also well presented.

Now back to work.

I do not see a link to the data in your file vault in the embed code. Maybe CC chopped part of your technical post. Use the CODE button, 3rd icon from the right - to post actual code.

I can see that the converter created an html file called RTA66.html that you uploaded to the file vault? (It is originally on your C drive.)

Although I can't see the file vault location of the file to tell you 100%, but it looks like you just need to reference the html file.

You can test this just creating a LINK on your page that references your file fault file that people click. It would be something like ours (adjust details for yours of course - plus this is just a single image, but concept is the same). You would have the RTA66.html file at the very end.

CLICK ME
http://www.bothellhigh61.com/000/7/7/0/13077/userfiles/file/html/1961_classphoto.htm

We can improve on that if you want it to show instantly, but this is an easy way to test.

EDIT: I just realized that you may have to examine the html file and modify it. I have a suspicion that the actual data file still resides on your computer. All that will become apparent once I see the RTA66.html

Edited 08/08/11 2:20 PM
Monday, August 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM - Response #8

Yes, it was Arny's PPT and he did do a good job. We had music, too, but were worried about rights, so we dropped that for the website.

Sorry to be so slow about this: this is the complete embed code and it seems to me that it has the RTA66.html on the end.

I have set up links before, so I should know how to do this but when I set this one up, the screen comes up blank, so I know I am missing something. I lifted this from the File Vault (Flash).

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM - Response #9

I'm not familiar with Flex, but it looks like the html file comprises the support code to play a "movie".

I did not see any reference to an .swf file (or any file for that matter).

All references that say file:///C:/Users/Tom/Documents are only on your computer - not on the web. It has a "same domain" check, so that will stop it from working even for your system.

I'm also guessing the file you want is "presenter.swf" (generic name>) and that has to be uploaded to the file vault and then you change all references to that to the actual vault location. Might want to modify the name so next one doesn't overlay.

For local testing, add http://www.traip66.com/ in front of the file vault address you get from CC.

FWIW, I'm learning here tooWink

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM - Response #10

Thanks, I'll work on it. I know it can be done and I expected it to be much easier than this!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.