ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Senior picture quality

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/03/09 10:13 PM Views: 2232 Replies: 4
Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I am so disappointed at how my senior pictures scan. That was in 1974 and I have seen senior pictures on here from 1969 that look so much better. I wanted to scan some of the ones of our deceased classmates for frames at our reunion, but they don't look so hot. Any ideas or am I stuck?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM - Response #1

Hi Debbie,

I scanned our yearbook pages at 150 dpi and saved the pages as TIFF files to work from later. Initially, I cropped individual images and assembled them on 8.5 x 11 photo paper to then cut and use on nametags.

From these scanned pages, I was then able to crop them and save each classmate photo as JPG files and upload them to our site. Class Creator resizes images to fit the page and I have had great success.

I used Photoshop for all photo editing.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM - Response #2

My scanner quit part way through doing my pictures and I got a new CanoScan 8000F. The pictures were so-o much better that I had to go back and rescan all of them.

I recently went to someone's home to help them with their senior picture scans. They had one of those all in one printer/document scanners. The pictures were awful no matter what settings we tried. She ended up coming to my house to do the scans.

So - maybe it's your scanner, and not you. I've got the procedure I used for doing my scans - Email me if you'd like a copy.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM - Response #3

I have a all in one scanner and don't know how to scan in tiff or whatever. Is photoshop expensive?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM - Response #4

I'm not familiar with all-in-one units, but as long as you have the ability to control or adjust scan settings you should be good to go.

Do you have any type of photo editing software?

In simple terms...I prefer printing images from .tiff files, and using .jpegs for the web. Images saved as .jpeg files are optimized to reduce the quality and final file size. Tiff files are not optimized. You can Google each term for a better (proper) explanation.Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.