ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Downloading/uploading classmates

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/26/08 08:59 AM Views: 1387 Replies: 6
Friday, September 26, 2008 at 8:59 AM

First, on this page, there is a spelling error "Classmate records changes over time as your Classmates use your site" -- should be "change" instead of "changes"

The question is, if I download a snapshot, then fill in some missing information, then upload, will it work? Or is Upload only to be used when starting up the site? For example, when I first uploaded my classmates, I only uploaded their names and e-mail addresses if I knew them. Now I have a spreadsheet with home addresses. Can I upload that and will there be a merge?

Can I upload a partial class list - only those with changes? Should I only upload information about classmates who haven't created a profile?

Suggestion: This information should be documented on the "Upload/Edit Classlist" page.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM - Response #1

Those questions are documented on the Excel upload page already. Please take a look at all the verbiage on that page and tell me if you think we're missing something.

Thanks for catching the typo. No matter how careful I am, I do that sometimes. Smile

Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM - Response #2

Oh by the way, never try to add new records to the Classmate download snapshot. The download contains several additional columns that the upload template doesn't have. Always make sure you are adding new records using the upload template only.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM - Response #3

I know the custom download is a long ways off. Is there a quick & easy way you could let your upload template match the download template so we could upload those fields at least?

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM - Response #4

Not at the moment until we get to redoing that area, sorry! The original batch import was intended to be a quick way to get Classmate names and contact info into the system. When we added the ability to also download the Class List, people began wanting to see more info on the download, so we added it. All of the additional items were never part of the upload parser though, and may or may not make sense to include in a batch upload. For now you'll need to add things directly in the system. We're going to do a thorough review of this process when we get to this Task.

Monday, March 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM - Response #5

A follow up - of sorts.

When I upload the classmate names, adresses, emails, etc...then they come to the site and sign up. I assume they will see the data that I have loaded for them an be able to correct anything that is worng (i.e they have a new address).

Or am I better off just loading the names - and allowing them to enter any additional data they want.

Also, if I load John Doe as a clasmate - anyone can come to the site and claim to be him...essentially hijacking the name and also seeing his personal info. Any thoughts on that?

Monday, March 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM - Response #6

Hi Steve,

Check out the FAQ on Privacy - it goes over the options for setting up a validation process if you want to add that to your site.

This adds an extra step for the administrator but it also gives you more control over who can participate in the site and communicate with classmates.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.