ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Safety/Security of Information

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/28/09 11:45 PM Views: 2387 Replies: 2
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM

There is growing concern within our reunion committee of the level of security of how the information on our website is protected and the use of pay pal. Could you help us understand the security measures in place and if you have any statistical evidence to back up your claims this would be most helpful. Have there been any incidents of theft or ID theft with your websites in the past? I am advocating total online registrations through the functionality of the website. Some on our team are concerned about identity theft and loss of finances by using this website. We are having a teleconference on Monday to discuss this subject. I'd like to be armed with the facts that would support moving ahead with total online registration. Just the facts...Thanks, Eddie

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM - Response #1

All good questions Edward, thanks for raising them. I can tell you right now this will be a heavily read item because these questions and concerns are common. With that in mind, as you can imagine we've spent an enormous amount of time on safety, security, and privacy issues.

First: Click on FAQs above and then click the Questions About Privacy link. Most of the items there are not related to financials, but it's helpful for you to be well versed on that section prior to your teleconference.

Second: Regarding your statistical question, the answer is zero. I.E. in our history we've never had a single incident of identity theft, stolen credit card numbers, etc. There are two reasons for that. One, we've taken numerous internal measures to ensure private data stays private and the site is hack proof. Second, all financial transactions that happen on your site are fully secured by Geotrust. Geotrust is one of the leading online security organizations. When Classmates are asked to enter their credit card numbers they'll see the little lock appear on their browser indicating that the financial transaction is secured, and the Geotrust logo is also displayed.

FYI, if you're wondering what "secured" means specifically, that means that the financial data is scrambled (encrypted) as it travels through the Internet. It is only put back together when it reaches it's final destination. Thus anybody who could potentially be "eavesdropping" on the financial transaction can only pick up scrambled data. Although I don't think anybody can every say 100%, it would be next to impossible for even the best of hackers these days to decode that scrambled information.

If necessary, you can also tell them that the people behind Class Creator are all Internet veterans. Every single one of us has been doing this since the beginning of the web roughly 12 years ago. Every penny that's ever gone through this system has been delivered to it's destination, and that will continue to be the case. It would be hard to find a more honorable, ethical group of people than the people behind Class Creator. I hope this satisfactorily addresses your concerns.

Edited 08/04/11 2:27 PM
Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM - Response #2

By the way, I see in your reunion setup that you are only taking credit cards. Thus there wouldn't be any security concerns regarding PayPal. Our system does interface with PayPal for donations though (which is a right hand home page module you can turn on). PayPal is extremely secure, although I can't provide any specifics regarding their security since it's not our system. There were some PayPal complaints a number of years ago and some of those still loom out there on the Internet, but since eBay purchased the company several years ago PayPal has been very solid. I've personally attended 2 eBay Live events and actually met some of the people behind PayPal. Nothing but good things to say. So if you do end up incorporating PayPal into your reunion site, I would feel confident that information transmitted through their system is safe and secure.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.