ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Large blank section in my content on home page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/15/10 07:30 PM Views: 2061 Replies: 19
Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I set up my home page the other day and everything was fine. Now when I go to my home page, the first couple of lines of my content appear where they are supposed, then there is a large gap and everything else is pushed to the bottom after all of the stuff in the column on the right side.

I did not change anything. I also tried restoring from an earlier backup, but that did not help either.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM - Response #1

I do, but it seems to be when I'm using my computer. I logged onto a computer at my work place today and it doesn't seem to have a gap but my fonts are smaller there and here on my computer.
Glad to know it's not just me concerned!

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM - Response #2

I thought something like that might be the problem. I will try it on my work computer to see what happens. I am having the trouble on my home computer, but it was just fine on my home computer when I set it up.

I just wonder how many classmates are seeing the large gap.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM - Response #3

It's your marquee. You can't put in a marquee with no defined width. Doing so will affect the various browsers differently, which is why you're seeing it one way on one computer and another way on another. I put in a width of 410, fixing the problem for all browsers.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM - Response #4

Looks ok in IE and Firefox but didn't fix it for Safari.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM - Response #5

I don't think I ever put in a marquee, not purposely anyway. But I just went back to my page using my laptop and I still have the large gap.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM - Response #6

Guy Della Lucia

Safari has this built-in problem that makes a lot of websites not work properly. I think that's why I tend to design all my commercial websites using Safari. If I can make things work with it, then all other websites will render things correctly (except sometimes vs. 6 of IE "thinks it has a better idea").

The one problem that I think I'm seeing with your home page and Safari is that the image above the Marquee is too wide and I'd go into your SOURCE and change it.
You should see a line of code that reads I would change the height and width to read the following and leave the rest alone . I've found that Safari balks with any image with a width greater than 390 on the home page. Of course there are lots of other images on that page that may need to be adjusted as well.

Edited 05/15/10 11:27 PM
Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM - Response #7

Jamie, you have the same problem that Guy has. Your Welcome message has a width of 407 and needs to be reduced proportionally down to 390 meaning that the height needs to be 294. Your other images probably are to wide as well.

Since I don't have access to your account, all I can do is tell you how to fix it rather than doing it for you like Brad and Kyle can do.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM - Response #8

Oh my my my it's been a long night...

The good news is, I clicked the wrong site and fixed Guy's marquee. So that's definitely no longer a problem on any browser.

I also just fixed Jamie's site, which was just a matter of a couple images being too wide to fit where they were put.

I want to dispel one thing here, the max width for home page images is 420. It's not 390, and it's not browser specific, and there is not a different number for Safari only. If you're having to put in images in Safari that are 390 or less in order for things to work, that means there is some other unrelated problem on the page causing that. If there are no other problems on the page, then Safari can accommodate 420 wide home page images the same as any other browser.

Edited 05/16/10 12:07 AM
Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM - Response #9

I followed your suggestion and reduced the size, yet I still had the large gap. I reduced the size of the graphic under it and that seemed to help.
Now I'm still noticing my font size is smaller than it had been. Kind of changed over on my home page and announcements when I activated my IM and things shifted then.
My counter has also shifted to the left instead of being centered.
So there are just a lot of little things that have changed that's making it frustrating where I'm almost wondering if I should just go back to one of my backup dates.
And by the way I know I use IE so I shouldn't have the same issues as Safari.

Edited 05/16/10 12:10 AM
Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM - Response #10

Heh, I suspect you and I were just working on the site at the same time. Anyway, I think my last fix stuck, you're all set. I didn't change any font sizes though. Too many cooks in the kitchen here. In any case if some font is not the size you want I'd just set it to the size you do want. It was the images causing the problem.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:14 AM - Response #11

I've used Verdana from the beginning and had it set on "small" because that made it just the right size I needed. Yet when I go back and look at the page, my announcement section (on my computer) comes up being "x-small" along with my "Top 10 reasons...." and "No Excuses" section.
And now I just went back and there's a gap between my "Missing Alumni" section and the divider.
Surprised <----- This is me screaming!

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM - Response #12

Refresh the page please. Are you still seeing the gap on a fresh reload?

I never edited your Announcements section a single time, so ya got me there. Are you able to select the text and make it the size you want it again?

Welcome to the jungle baby! Hey, at least I can enjoy the song while my head spins. Smile

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 1:38 AM - Response #13

I'm really sorry guys if I have messed you all up. I have cleared EVERYTHING in my version of Safari (Cookies, History, Cache, etc.) and Jamie's page is still the same. The welcome message is at the top. And everything else below the ClassCreator Icon on the right side. One thing I do notice is that all of the divider bars with the stars is sitting way over to the right while everything else is either "centered" or to the "left."

After I install my new iMac 27 inch in a couple days, I'll come back and look at this site again with a brand new Safari installed.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM - Response #14

What version of Safari are you using now? I'm looking in Safari 4 and see no problems. If you're using anything less than Safari 4, then yes please upgrade and let me know how it looks on the new computer.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM - Response #15

Thanks Brad! This user forum is great for solving problems. I have opned our site on a couple of other computers now, and everything looks great!Very Happy

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM - Response #16

Brad Switzer wrote:

What version of Safari are you using now? I'm looking in Safari 4 and see no problems.

Brad,

Perhaps the difference IS in our versions for I have 4.0.5. I bet you have the same, so when I get my new computer installed and after all the updates, I'll have a better handle on things. It wouldn't surprise me if there is something wrong, but what I have no idea. What will happen though is that I will exercise my "Apple Care" program.

BTW, Jamie's site now looks perfect.Very Happy I can't say that for Guy's site though.Sad

Edited 05/16/10 1:36 PM
Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM - Response #17

I do think you're having some local thing happening, but based on everything you've told me I bet you I just fixed Guy's site on your computer even though you're having the issue. Smile

Edited 05/16/10 2:34 PM
Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM - Response #18

Brad Switzer wrote:

I want to dispel one thing here, the max width for home page images is 420. It's not 390, and it's not browser specific, and there is not a different number for Safari only. If you're having to put in images in Safari that are 390 or less in order for things to work, that means there is some other unrelated problem on the page causing that. If there are no other problems on the page, then Safari can accommodate 420 wide home page images the same as any other browser.

Brad,
Classmates are contacting me with problems viewing my home page. They say "The home page is now wider than my screen, so I have to scroll to see the entire page". I changed all my images to less than 400 and I still see that my home page is a little bit bigger than the top marquee.

My font sizes too have been a little whacky. I had to go into my source code on many pages and change for instance from x-small or small to 10pt or 12pt. Any help would be great.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM - Response #19

Vicky,

Here is a trick you can use to figure which announcement is blowing out your content. Go to Post Announcement. Click on the VIEW button for each active announcement. Each time you click, the home page will show up with ONLY THAT ANNOUNCEMENT being active. If the page that shows up doesn't look blown out, that announcement is fine. Repeat for all active announcements.

I have done this and it is your "Reunion Mtg 6-19" announcement that is blown out.

The reason it is blown out is because you have a table that is 600 width. The maximum allowed is 420 or a little less than that.

Edited 05/23/10 5:26 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.