ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password protected pages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/14/08 09:44 PM Views: 1388 Replies: 7
Friday, November 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM

I have a classmate that is concerned about having all his information out there & available on the WWW, so if I password protect the classmates profile page, will I have to give the password to every class member? I need to know so that I can set it up.

Thanks

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM - Response #1

If you go to FAQ's/Questions about Privacy...#2,#3 & #4 address this, using different scenarios.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 12:44 AM - Response #2

If you don't want to password protect your pages, you could have the classmate in question go into their profile and click the box for this:

Profile Visibility: Allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Note: Checking this box will block the general public and search engines from accessing your Profile details. If you want other classes, friends, family, etc. to be able to view your Profile page you should leave this option unchecked.

If they click that, then NO ONE on the web will be able to find their information.

They should leave this box unchecked they don't want anyone to contact them other than through the website.

Contact Details: Allow Classmates to see my address and phone number (this information is hidden from your Classmates unless you check this box).

Edited 11/15/08 12:45 AM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM - Response #3

I do that as Admin because I find that not everyone will scroll to the bottom of pages and check those boxes.

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM - Response #4

How can I make it so the my classmates information can not be changed without a password, and also so that the information can't be seen on the web (only on the site) and also so that they can only be contacted thru the website? DO I hve to do this on every profile or is there some way to do this for all classmates at one time?

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM - Response #5

You would have to do this on every Profile. Two things to remember though:

1) Even if you restrict a Classmate's profile on his or her behalf, that Classmate can unrestrict it themselves at any time.

2) Many people actually do want their Profiles unrestricted. They like to share them with moms and dads, sons and daughters, friends, co-workers, etc. You're going to find that assuming people want their Profiles to be restricted won't always hold true. That's why right during the signup process each new Classamte is asked this question. At that time they can make their own decision on this issue.

Note, even if a Profile is left public, it will never show an email address or a street address. Not even if a Classmate has permitted their street address to be shown to other Classmates. With this type of personal infommation blocked even with no restrictions applied to the Profile at all, many Classmates are choosing to leave their Profiles open.

Hey Rick, just out of curiousity, what's the percentage of Classmates with an account who've opted to leave their Profiles open to the public?

Edited 11/21/08 8:30 PM
Friday, November 21, 2008 at 10:48 PM - Response #6

You sure you want to know that? =)

Almost 59% of all classmates have their profile set to private.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM - Response #7

Yep! Thanks.

Edited 11/22/08 12:28 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.