ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Proper sizing of our school picture

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/14/08 12:25 PM Views: 1831 Replies: 15
Friday, November 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM
nativitypagelogo.jpg

I just converted our site to the '80s look and I can't get the school photo to size like other sites I have seen. The picture in the upper right does not go below the corkboard into the white. What can I be doing wrong.

Here is an expample of working site and my site (copy and paste to your browser):
Good site:
http://www.bahs88.com/

Our site :
http://www.classcreator.com/Pottsville-PA-Nativity-B-V-M-1988/class_index.cfm

Thanks in advance for the help,
Kevin

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM - Response #1

Kevin:

You've done nothing wrong, their picture is just longer than yours.

If you have a longer picture of your school you can get the same results.

Rhonda

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 1:42 PM - Response #2
bvmpage-shot1.jpg

Thanks,

I have tried resizing the image to make it longer, wider, and using other pics. If I make it longer it just cuts off the bottom of the picture. See the screen shot to see what I mean.

Thanks,
Kevin

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM - Response #3

That's actually happening because you uploaded a very tiny photo (smaller than the space it needs to fit into) so our system repeats it and tries to fill the space.

Your best bet is to upload an ordinary landscape orientation photo at a size larger than is necessary, and our system will automatically resize it and pop it in place for you.

The picture is intended to hand down off the corkboard. That's just the way the design works. If you want to keep it 100% on the corkboard though, you can experiment with uploading rather wide photos until you get the results you're after. Looking at your site now, that seems to be where you've arrived yourself.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM - Response #4
bhscollage_Page000.jpg

Brad,

I actually had the same problem with my picture as Kevin (above). I had a collage that was longer than the picture now displayed and it "cut" it to fit the size box you see so only a portion of my collage was shown. Yet I have seen other sites where theirs is the same width but twice the length.

I have included a jpeg of my collage I have been trying to use.

Gini

Edited 11/14/08 4:19 PM
Friday, November 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM - Response #5
bvmpage-shot2.jpg

Sorry to be a pain but I tried resizing to 400% and stretching up and down to no luck. I also took the picture off another site that is working well http://www.bahs88.com/ and used it as my photo and it cut it off on mine. I think something is not set properly on my site.

I have included a screen shot to show what I mean about cutting it off.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 5:35 PM - Response #6
bhscollage_Page000.jpg

Gini Morgan wrote:

Brad,

I actually had the same problem with my picture as Kevin (above). I had a collage that was longer than the picture now displayed and it "cut" it to fit the size box you see so only a portion of my collage was shown. Yet I have seen other sites where theirs is the same width but twice the length.

I have included a jpeg of my collage I have been trying to use.

Gini

Ideally you want to use a photo with a little space under the school building. Our system is going to crop any photo just slightly to fit it in. So if you're not liking the spacing of your school building itself, the best bet is to use a photo with a little more padding around the building (more grass on the bottom, more sky on the top, etc). I.E. something that won't matter if it gets cut off a little bit. Our system is not going to crop very much, but if there's nearly no room below the school building itself in the first place, then it could crop a little right into the building.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 5:37 PM - Response #7
bvmpage-shot2.jpg

Kevin Wigoda wrote:

Sorry to be a pain but I tried resizing to 400% and stretching up and down to no luck. I also took the picture off another site that is working well http://www.bahs88.com/ and used it as my photo and it cut it off on mine. I think something is not set properly on my site.

I have included a screen shot to show what I mean about cutting it off.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Ok now that's definitely not right. I see you've changed your school photo. I need you to email me the other photo (the one you posted the screenshot of) to info@classcreator.com. I'll sit down with the programmer using your exact photo as an example and see why it would crop like that. That most definitely should not be happening.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 5:58 PM - Response #8

Brad, did you have a chance to look at the picture I attached to my last post? It has three photos in one but it cuts the size to match the size currently on the site so it cuts it in half. I have just noticed that other sites have much longer photos and I thought my collage would expand. Am I doing something wrong?

Gini

PS Your site is wonderful and you have been so wonderful to help out with everyone's problems! I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everything you do!

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM - Response #9

I believe it's the exact same problem Kevin is having. Please send me that photo too (email it to info@classcreator.com). It's no longer on your site so I'll need a copy of it so I can run through it with the programmers and figure out why it's not cropping correctly. I think this will be easy to fix, I just need a real world example to work with so the programmer can see it for himself.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM - Response #10

I didn't use one of the new design pages because it made my school bldg picture too small. I'm okay with what I have, however, this post made a question come to mind.

Do all the new 'era' designs have the same alloted space for school bldg photo's? e.g. 80's vs 90's ? Rolling Eyes

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM - Response #11

Yes they are all the same. Any typical 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 type photo will fill the school photo space nicely. Portrait orientation photos are not recommended. Nor are super wide panoramic shots of the school. Sometimes ya just gotta find the right pic.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM - Response #12

Help -

New user here and I seem to have the same problem that others have had in the past. The photo I'm trying to use is a banner/marquee that stands in front of the building. I want to crop the photo to minimize the marquee portion and focus on the banner. No matter how I crop it, it won't fill up the white "photo" space on the corkboard of the template. I get a sliver of white at the margins of the photo as it displays on the website. For the record, the original was a 35mm slide which I digitized to a jpeg.

Thanks!

Scott Chaffin
Bountiful71.com

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 12:26 AM - Response #13

Hi Scott....

I think there is some thinking that the picture is supposed to look a bit ragged along the bottom. Try adding white space all around your photo and uploading it again. It definitely needs to be a horizontal rectangle.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM - Response #14

I agree. If you add a white boarder to the image, it will then look like it has a white edge. However, the ragged edge is by design.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM - Response #15

Shoot for setting up the ratio of 4 x 6 to the photo of your high school (6 wide x 4 high). If the photo itself is square, for example, make the background (canvas) 4x6 and put the square image in the center.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.