ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Big Changes to What's New Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/10/14 09:56 PM Views: 1084 Replies: 11
Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM

As many of your know the What's New page began with two sections: Classmates I'm Following and Classmates I'm not Following. Was pretty simple.

Over time people asked for more items on What's New and we added Classmates Messages, and recently Recent Class Activity (which is just tracking and posting Notify Me items on What's New).

With everything in place and all 4 sections working properly the verdict from the Administrators is in: TOO CONFUSING! We agree so we have changed everything.

* All 4 sections have been eliminated, but all items in those sections are retained. The entire What's New page is now one chronological page listing all new items from the top down. Everything new appears at the top. Pretty simple.

* All "View More" buttons have been eliminated.

* Dynamic load has been added. If you scroll all the way to the end of the What's New page new content will automatically begin loading (so you can continually read further back in time if you want to).

* You can now view What's New by all classmates in your class, or if you click on the "Classmates I'm Following" tab at the top of the page you will only see posts from classmates you're personally following under Notify Me.

* You can now toggle the What's New feed to display items that are the most popular (items receiving the most comments) instead of the straight chronological feed if you want to.

This new setup is way easier to follow and use. If you're viewing the What's New feed on Class Connection Facebook app you'll notice it's much more in line with what Facebook user's would expect to see as well (i.e. it's a pretty standard straight forward feed).

The page is not yet live as we're going to take user's feedback first and make any final necessary changes.

Our extraordinarily awesome programmer Al has created a page where all admins can see the new What's New format now:

http://www.yourclass.com/class_whats_new_al.cfm
(replace yourclass.com with your own domain of course)

Let us know your thoughts on the new format please. I think you'll agree this makes much better sense. Any change requests or suggestions just let us know. The What's New page will continue to evolve for awhile as everyone keeps weighing in.

As always thanks to all of you for your feedback and for continually making Class Creator better.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 10:10 PM - Response #1

Here is Al's view and the current view... a photo is not following on Al's view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-I2MqQ5cA&hd=1

Thanks for updating this!

Edited 08/10/14 10:29 PM
Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM - Response #2

Hope we'll still have the ability to PIN a post at the top of the page. Smile

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM - Response #3

All Members & Following Members - Tabs

Size of new tabs to separator
http://youtu.be/aGFiBdJFbX4

Edited 08/10/14 10:58 PM
Monday, August 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM - Response #4

I like it! When can we have it added to our site????

Thanks

dave

Monday, August 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM - Response #5

Dave, it will eventually be added to everyone's site, but first it is being allowed to be tested by everyone and have all improvements suggested before it is active.

Brad, If a post is EDITED, only the edited post should show, not the original post. The reason they edited is probably to correct spelling mistakes. They probably edited it and don't want to see the original version. This is a problem with the old version as well as the new version of the What's New page.

Monday, August 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM - Response #6

Thanks Kyle.

Monday, August 11, 2014 at 1:37 PM - Response #7

Al is an amazing programmer. He'll be the first to tell you he's not much of a designer. Smile

Gwen Corey wrote:

All Members & Following Members - Tabs

Size of new tabs to separator
http://youtu.be/aGFiBdJFbX4

Monday, August 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM - Response #8

I like it much better! Better yet if Dynamic Load was working.

Monday, August 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM - Response #9

Dynamic load is working. I take it you're still seeing it not working?

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 1:31 AM - Response #10

It's working now. When I first tried it, the page was about 3 days deep (roughly a couple screens) and nothing happened when I scrolled down to the bottom. Works fine now though. Wasn't able to test the other tab since I'm following everyone.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM - Response #11

I see that the new version is live. I like the format, but like yesterday in the test version, it appears that it has to scan the entire site for content each time it's accessed, resulting in wait times between 20-30 seconds - even when you hit the Dynamic Load which does appear to be a little short wait in the 10-15 second range. That's a step back from the old version, and I hope that can be addressed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.