ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Classmate Notification

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/16/19 11:37 AM Views: 414 Replies: 8
Monday, December 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM

I am a little confused with this new classmate. I received email that said new classmate Laura Agyemang 2019. However, I cannot find her name in any of our databases. It shows the same original name and she is changing her address which looks OK. I doubt this is a scam but I want to make sure I know what is going on.
Thank you

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM - Response #1

there is also a connected "bounce back" with this.
Really confused now.
Maybe hijacker.

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 2:23 PM - Response #2

When I have something like this come up, I ask for their phone number, or give them mine, and SPEAK with them, and ask them questions specific to the school, teachers, events, town, etc, to 'verify' they are legitimate.

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM - Response #3

If they did not leave you with any contact information and the email address that they provided is bouncing, I would say it safe to assume they are not who they say they are. If they are legit, and they want to join, they will try again.

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM - Response #4

what about how the name got there? I still think this is legit -except for email. Why can I not find name on site?

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM - Response #5

Do you still have the join email? If so, can you forward it to info@classcreator.com and we can check into it further.

Monday, December 16, 2019 at 9:54 PM - Response #6

Ray Guim wrote:

what about how the name got there? I still think this is legit -except for email. Why can I not find name on site?

If Admin Verify is turned on, when someone joins the name no longer appears in the class profile list or the "Missing" list - until you verify them. You should still be able to see them by going to Edit Classmates though.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM - Response #7

John, that is the problem. Thank you. I am going to delete this profile because their email bounced. It may be a hijacker. Or maybe I will call them.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 1:00 PM - Response #8

The good news is that anyone who joins can't do or see anything more until they're verified. And nobody but the admin can see them until they're verified.

Admin Verify gives you the option to restore the user to their original state. I would copy the new info, restore that user, and paste the info in Admin Notes for further use if needed. They may have just typo'd the email address - or used a bogus address (the system only checks to see if it's the correct format) because they aren't comfortable with making their address "public" - even though it would not be. People are often funny about their private information... We still have classmates who won't fill in a birthday - even though we know what year almost all in our class were born. One of those here is a twin whose sibling has filled in her/their birthday date.

In any case, a lack of a street address or phone number AND an invalid email address is definitely a red flag. I won't verify anyone without talking to them (by email or phone) and asking a couple questions that only a classmate could answer. There aren't any Social Security numbers or bank account numbers in profiles, but there's personal information like city, state, family names, etc, that someone pursuing a career in identify theft would find valuable.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.