ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page Announcements Forced Down

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/08/09 03:21 PM Views: 1621 Replies: 17
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I'm pretty sure this is a new one but it has similarities to other page blow-out issues. It seems to only happen on my MacBook Pro using Firefox.

I tested it on a PC using Firefox and IE, no problem.
I tested it on my MAC using Safari, no problem.

On our All-Years website we have an announcement set up to show to those not logged on. It is the "Sign-Up Now" announcement which is the 1st announcement.

There is a graphic on the left and then the steps to register for the first time. Once they are registered they just log on and it is gone.

THE PROBLEM: When classmates log on,everything is fine. The slideshows and other announcements are all in place. But prior to logging on, this 1st Announcement and everything else is pushed down, only on my MAC and only using Firefox.

I know this issue is usually caused by a word wrap or a width problem or a lot of spaces or hyphens or something that blows everything out.

I checked the widths on the slideshows and even made them smaller (395 to 359)and that had no effect.

I checked the specific announcement (Sign-Up Now) graphic width and reduced it. I even deleted it and tried regular fonts. It was still blown out (actually down).

The only thing that is different between pre-log on and after is this one announcement, so logically it would be the item causing the issue. Since about 25-30% of our users are MAC users, I'd like to resolve the problem.

So far, I can not find the offending character, fonts, etc. that would cause this. Or is it something else?

One last thing, while checking this on a PC using IE the graphic in this announcement does not show up on the screen but the words "Submit Query" are in its place. Clue me in about this if you can. It does not happen on the MAC or in the other browsers.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #1

Three things for you:

1) I don't have a Macbook Pro, but most likely the problem is being casued by all the hard spaces before the "It's quick, easy and FREE to do!" text. Macbook Pro might display those hard spaces a little larger, which may be enough to make your body area too wide, thus pushing everything down the page. I removed all the hard spaces and replaced it with standard center tags. See if that fixes the problem for Macbook Pro users.

2) You have % symbols in your file name. Most likely Macbook Pro is not coping with those. Try deleting that image from your File Vault, rename it something normal on your own computer with no special characters, then reupload it to File Vault and insert that one instead. My bet is this will fix the problem.

3) I see why you put in all the hard spaces. You're attemptin to keep all of your text aligned. That won't work anyway as different browsers will treat the hard spaces differently. Try putting in a two column table instead. Set the border to 0. Then put your post it note image in the first cell, and all of your text in the second cell. This will give you the exact result you're looking for without having to insert hard spaces.

Edited 09/08/09 3:38 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM - Response #2

Brad,

My announcements are being forced down in Firefox. Can't find the problem. Would love any clues. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM - Response #3

If you're game, I'd rename your link "STUFF U NEED TO KNOW" TO "STUFF U MUST KNOW" instead. Due to the all caps and that particular combination of letters, you're actually widening the navigation area more than the default and thus lessening your body content area. Changing the link name will fix this. If you don't you have to use tables smaller than 398 in your Announcements. I've temporarily taken out the 398, fixing the issue in Firefox.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM - Response #4

Thanks so much Brad, I would never have figured that one out, Confused. I renamed the link and now I see that I can use the accent line as a guide to the default width of the nav bar.
Firefox still didn't like 398, so I made it 380 (using 100% gave me only the width of the td in IE 8 ).

All better now, thanks again Very Happy

Edited 09/08/09 5:59 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM - Response #5

Two of your links are still widening the navigation area by about 3 pixels. Which means your max is going to be about 395 instead of 398. As long as you keep that in mind I wouldn't worry about it, it's fine.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM - Response #6

Yes, with my glasses on I just now saw those 3 pixels, LOL.
Now that I know what's happening, no problemo, I'll just keep the announcements a few pixels narrower for now.

Smile

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM - Response #7

I think we did most of what you suggested--code change, use a table, upload the photo without a % in the name. Bruce says it still isn't working for him on his Mac. If you look at our code, we're now using "Sign up test" instead of "How to sign up" so we can test, obviously, but left both versions there.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM - Response #8

For good measure I took out the width and height on the table, which isn't necessary anyway. Try it now. If it's not working make sure he clears his Mac cache before loading the page fresh from the server. There is nothing in there anymore that could possibly cause an issue -- not that I see anyway. If it's still happening, does the little yellow post it graphic and corresponding text move down below the Announcements, or is it only stuff after that that's moving down the page?

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM - Response #9
HomePage.jpg

Brad,

I took a page shot and zoomed way out so you could see what it looks like. It still throws it way down.

I cleared my cache and cookies and history for the day.

As you can see the post it graphic and text is all down there.

Brad, any other clues? This is crazy because it is fine after logging in and on the other browsers.

How is it that I come up with these glitches?

Edited 09/08/09 8:40 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 9:36 PM - Response #10

Not that I doubt you in the slightest, but is anybody else using Macbook Pro reporting seeing it this way? I want to make absolutely sure you're not somehow still pulling from cache. There is nothing in that Announcement to push things down to the bottom. Do me a favor and try creating yet a third announcement. This type just type in your text. No graphic, no table, no nothing. Just your text. Then tell me if it's forced down or not. And again, please tell me if even one more person sees it this way. There's literally nothing in there that could be forcing it down at this point (that I can see anyway).

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM - Response #11

What about this:
img src="http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/Graphics/spacer.gif" width="400" height="27"

Maybe not.

Edited 09/08/09 9:46 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM - Response #12

That's quite possibly it. What announcement are you finding that code in? If ANY Announcement doesn't fit, the entire board will jump to the bottom. All browsers must be dealing with the 400 pixel spacer gif EXCEPT for Macbook Pro for whatever reason. There's a good chance that changing the dimensions of the spacer gif will solve the problem. I was too focused on that specific Announcement, not considering that the actual problem may have been in a different Announcement.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM - Response #13

I am not sure how it gets there, but it is between the CONTENTS and the ANNOUNCEMENTS when I do a View Source on the document.

When I looked in the CONTENTS area, I didn't see it there. It might be inserted by the ClassCreator ENGINE code.

This image is inserted before the words "ANNOUNCEMENTS"

Edited 09/08/09 9:58 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 11:01 PM - Response #14

Oh I see, no, that's just part of the template and normal. It can be 400, while images inside of Announcements can only be up to 398. In any case, that's not it.

Edited 09/08/09 11:08 PM
Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:25 AM - Response #15

I have an IMac and after the Welcome everything is way down at the bottom of the page. Oh I also use Firefox.

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:39 AM - Response #16

Ava Cartwright wrote:

I have an IMac and after the Welcome everything is way down at the bottom of the page. Oh I also use Firefox.

Hi Ava,

Are you saying that YOUR HOME PAGE is also forced way down to the bottom or that when you viewed the website talked about at the first of this Forum Thread post, it appears way down at the bottom?

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM - Response #17

No, not at all (at least from what I see), just that I went to the Pasadena site, from my computer the page is way down below the welcome intro.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.