ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Profile Comments - unable to reply to a comment

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/22/21 05:48 PM Views: 3928 Replies: 13
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:48 PM

I just had a comment left on my profile and there is no box for me to make a reply (add a comment). Pretty sure I should be able to reply to a comment left on my profile page. ??????

Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM - Response #1

Did that comment show up on the What's New page? If so, can you comment under it there?

Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 6:24 PM - Response #2

I don't have the "What's New" page active. But, I can go to other classmate profiles and there is a box for Add a Comment.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 8:57 PM - Response #3

I might have a bad memory here .. BUT .. isn't it true that if a classmate does not allow comments on their profile, they can comment on others but you still can't comment on their posts. I think the "clown" thingy belongs on that type of social engineering.

Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 12:07 AM - Response #4

Jack's right. If someone who has Allow Comments in their own profile unchecked, posts a comment in your profile, the system does not allow you (or anyone else) to comment under that one. That doesn't really make any sense since it's not affecting the profile of the member who posted.

Not only that, I found that once a comment is posted in your profile by someone who does not allow comments, the system does not allow a comment under any other comment in your profile that had existed prior to that one. Everything goes back to normal when that comment posted by someone who does not allow comments is deleted.

Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 10:51 PM - Response #5

Ok, thanks for this info! I just checked the profile of the classmate who left a comment on my profile page and he does not have the box checked to allow comments which is exactly why I can't comment back. Thanks for your help!

Friday, September 24, 2021 at 1:14 AM - Response #6

If the comment that was posted on your profile needs/deserves a reply, you can always edit his profile to temporarily check the Allow box, go to your profile and reply, and then go back to his profile and uncheck the box again. Your reply will still be there, but a new reply will not be allowed.

Friday, September 24, 2021 at 1:21 AM - Response #7

I don't think an admin can alter that can they? That's what I thought was said before.

Friday, September 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM - Response #8

As an admin, I am able to change classmate profile settings.

Friday, September 24, 2021 at 11:38 AM - Response #9

While testing, I was able to use Manage Classmates, Edit Profile to change that check box for a member to see if it made a difference - which it did.

Friday, September 24, 2021 at 3:40 PM - Response #10

I just assumed it would be restricted. Obviously not. Funny considering the other stuff you can't change. IMO that's a BUG. An admin should not be able to change a classmate's settings. Pretty inconsistent rules here.

Technically probably falls into "do not do" general rules for sites. For example, if I don't want a site to send me stuff, they are not supposed to change my selection to something else.

Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM - Response #11

As the administrator for the web site classmates leave comments, questions, etc. on my page. I believe many think this is a confidential comment. As administrator is there an option where people can leave a comment but other classmates cannot see it?

Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 10:50 AM - Response #12

It should be pretty clear since the box where anyone could post a message/comment on your page says "Share your thoughts with XXXXXX (all classmates can read).
But using Send A Private Message can only be seen the the person receiving it.

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 6:19 PM - Response #13

Susanne, as a follow-up to John's comment and for others, your problem is easily fixed.

Under Member Functions, click on Edit Profile. Note two things:

At the top, it says, "Information entered on this screen is visible to all Classmates."

Near the bottom it says, "Classmate comments: Allow Classmates to enter comments on my Profile page (you have the ability to hide or delete comments). Uncheck this box and no one will be able to enter a comment on your profile page.

Edited 06/29/22 6:19 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.