ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

NEW wider template #6

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/25/08 12:28 PM Views: 1427 Replies: 15
Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Hello Brad!

Sorry for all the questions. YOU are the Answer guy. I have so much work ahead of me uploading graphics, and class photos,I'd hate to say I have looked on the FAQ or other Forums,but can't find these answers. Forgive me.

I want to tell you what an incredible job you have been doing in updating this site!

On uploading pictures like the senior pics...is it better/faster to load three or four at a time on your site, rather than using a 5-7"wide, X's as long as you want, to use Photoshop,by placing the pictures on that canvas,then uploading that to the site??

I received your message about the rose next to the deceased in the classmate profiles..very cool. next, I have a question about the new wider template #6. I know ,as you stated, that I could use the template ,then go back to what we are using now(#5) without a problem,but I wanted to ask you this anyway,because if I install a graphic too large for the template I'm using, then everything on that page gets jacked-up.

Would this new template #6 allow me more "EDITING" room for the graphics like when I post all the senior photos,which are about 400. I guess I couldn't put the whole Folder in at one time,(Believe me,I've tried) but have to put in between four, and seven pictures in at a time, depending on the size output of each photo.

I'd like to put in the photos ,as I go,but when I have to add more to the PHOTO page,I'll have to reload all the pages again, right?

On the ten year reunion,(Past reunions) I scanned (original size, 7/8" x 5/8" of an inch) all 108 pictures,came out posterized,and very,very small to view. But then again, photos are from 1983,so the photo capabilities were not harvested yet.
So in this case,if I put only three or four photos on each page,they will be a little bigger,but still posterized.

Thanks for all the incredible work you and your staff are doing on this site!!!!! JamesT

Edited 09/27/08 1:22 PM
Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM - Response #1

The buttons on the new template seem to layover the left side of the message forum...

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM - Response #2

James Tobin wrote:

But then again, photos are from 1883,so the photo capabilities were not harvested yet.

Wow, you must be WAY old. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM - Response #3

Maybe this is being addressed somewhere else, but I clicked the new template earlier today, now the message forum page is REALLY screwed up!!! anyone else having this problem?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM - Response #4

Yep, I switched back immediately

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM - Response #5

Most of my pages look just great with the new format but two of them extend into and under the frame at the left, rendering portions of them unreadable. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM - Response #6

I am having some problems! Since I tried the new template--all of the templates are messed up! My home page is totally jacked up--slides are all over the place, and the message forum only works on one or two of the templates. What's up?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 10:49 PM - Response #7

Hi Folks, I had problems shifting my stuff over to the left. The frame thingy around my glitter text kept swallowing up my other text as I tried to shift them over and up. Things wouldn't go where I wanted them. I finally copied and pasted my text to a Word Doc, cleaned off my whole page and put things back one item at a time and it worked great. Everything is where I want them. Had to do the same with a page that has a slide show and text to get it shifted all the way to the left. Didn't have a problem with the other pages.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM - Response #8

James Tobin wrote:

Hello Brad!

Sorry for all the questions. YOU are the Answer guy. I have so much work ahead of me uploading graphics, and class photos,I'd hate to say I have looked on the FAQ or other Forums,but can't find these answers. Forgive me.

I want to tell you what an incredible job you have been doing in updating this site!

On uploading pictures like the senior pics...is it better/faster to load three or four at a time on your site, rather than using a 5-7"wide, X's as long as you want, to use Photoshop,by placing the pictures on that canvas,then uploading that to the site??

I received your message about the rose next to the deceased in the classmate profiles..very cool. next, I have a question about the new wider template #6. I know ,as you stated, that I could use the template ,then go back to what we are using now(#5) without a problem,but I wanted to ask you this anyway,because if I install a graphic too large for the template I'm using, then everything on that page gets jacked-up.

Would this new template #6 allow me more "EDITING" room for the graphics like when I post all the senior photos,which are about 400. I guess I couldn't put the whole Folder in at one time,(Believe me,I've tried) but have to put in between four, and seven pictures in at a time, depending on the size output of each photo.

I'd like to put in the photos ,as I go,but when I have to add more to the PHOTO page,I'll have to reload all the pages again, right?

On the ten year reunion,(Past reunions) I scanned (original size, 7/8" x 5/8" of an inch) all 108 pictures,came out posterized,and very,very small to view. But then again, photos are from 1883,so the photo capabilities were not harvested yet.
So in this case,if I put only three or four photos on each page,they will be a little bigger,but still posterized.

Thanks for all the incredible work you and your staff are doing on this site!!!!! JamesT

There is no really good way to batch upload photos into the system at this time, but we're actually working on that right now though a new photo upload mechanism called postlet. Stay tuned, it's pretty slick.

Yes, if you insert a large photo using template 6, and then you switch back to a smaller template, you could indeed blow out your site. I wouldn't do that. Smile

The senior photo size in template 6 is still the same as the other templates. Only the area for body content has expanded.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to reload all of the pages again regarding your photo page. But, no, you shouldn't have to reload anything. I'm probably missing something.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM - Response #9

Hank Degenring wrote:

The buttons on the new template seem to layover the left side of the message forum...

It's actually not the template, but rather, your Classmates posting images to your forum that pull from a different web server that are far too wide for the page. You might want to shrink items like that when you see them, as it's going to blow out all of the 6 available templates in one fashion or another. See this thread for more information.

Odd as it may sound, the template you swiched back to "blows out" in a more pleasing way than template 6 does. Thus if your Classmates consistently post oversized photos from different web systems into your forums like this, and you don't want to have to constantly resize them, then you're definitely better off not using template 6.

Edited 09/26/08 12:50 AM
Friday, September 26, 2008 at 12:55 AM - Response #10

prncesskdl413441 wrote:

Maybe this is being addressed somewhere else, but I clicked the new template earlier today, now the message forum page is REALLY screwed up!!! anyone else having this problem?

One of your Classmates posted something that will blow out every template. That something was this:

>>>>>>WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO>>>>>

I deleted a whole ton of >>>> so it also doesn't blow out this forum. But, bottom line, you can't post hundreds of characters in a row or the system has nowhere to wrap. Thus your design blows out.

We should really implement something that counts back to back characters and automatically puts in a space before the max is reached. Or something similar to stop Classmates from being able to blow out pages with entries like this. I'll give this some thought.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM - Response #11

Patrick Barnum wrote:

Most of my pages look just great with the new format but two of them extend into and under the frame at the left, rendering portions of them unreadable. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Can't put objects or text on the page that don't fit. I fixed them for you. In your case, you had numerous underlines in a row that were too large for the width of your page, thus it blew it out. One way or another I'll have to come up with a solution that makes it impossible to add too many back to back characters that are too large for the page. Until then, if you see this, look for objects on your page that can't wrap, or are too large to fit where you're putting them.

Edited 09/26/08 1:41 AM
Friday, September 26, 2008 at 1:15 AM - Response #12

prncesskdl413441 wrote:

I am having some problems! Since I tried the new template--all of the templates are messed up! My home page is totally jacked up--slides are all over the place, and the message forum only works on one or two of the templates. What's up?

I see you fixed your home page, so you must have figured out the problem there? Object too large I assume? Message forums issue addressed above.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 1:37 AM - Response #13

Hilary Ho Sang wrote:

Hi Folks, I had problems shifting my stuff over to the left. The frame thingy around my glitter text kept swallowing up my other text as I tried to shift them over and up. Things wouldn't go where I wanted them. I finally copied and pasted my text to a Word Doc, cleaned off my whole page and put things back one item at a time and it worked great. Everything is where I want them. Had to do the same with a page that has a slide show and text to get it shifted all the way to the left. Didn't have a problem with the other pages.

Two things for you:

1) Trust me, you never want to edit content in Microsoft Word and then paste it back into your site. Word content pastes with all kinds of awful html code that will cause you editing problems the liks of which you can't imagine. In this case it looks like you got lukcy. If you want to save your text on your own local computer, you are actually far better off using Notepad than Word. Notepad will never interject tons of html code into your page.

2) Look at your site in Firefox. You have a couple objects too large for your page, so Firefox just bumps them all the way down on the page until it finds a place where they actually fit. You need to resize those oversized objects just a little bit. See this thread for more details about this problem.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM - Response #14

You (Brad)wrote, "I'm not sure what you mean by having to reload all of the pages again regarding your photo page. But, no, you shouldn't have to reload anything. I'm probably missing something."

Brad, What I meant was I have approx. 430 Senior pics to load,I'm anxious to get the finished ones on now,but I am missing about half the class,while I'm still editing,cropping the rest of the senior pics.

Additionally, "reloading", I meant,was after getting all the photos I have so far onto the site, I'd have to remove the pics on the site, then add more photos through Photoshop,then reload the pages again to the website.

UNLESS, I manually place the photos on the site, (whew, 430 pics,very time consuming)I could EDIT the Page and add/delete photos right there? I guess this was the answer all along..unless I'm wrong, and I've only been wrong once before! hahahehe Thanks, Jim Laughing

Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM - Response #15

New editor is coming, new file library, and new photo gallery layouts are all coming too. For now, yes, you can upload one photo at a time and place it how you see fit.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.