ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory "again"

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/16/09 08:34 PM Views: 2438 Replies: 10
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Sorry if this seems like my only topic but there are not many other questions or problems I seem to have. This site works well for us! -I just thought of a question that will address later.
My question for now is are there any other sites besides Legacy.com that anyone uses that are any good? There seems to be a lot of room for improvement when in comes to these searchs. Brad do you want another project?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM - Response #1

I used Obitsarchive.com. There is a small fee for 100 searches but I found most of the information I needed.

Edited 12/17/09 5:00 AM
Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 6:36 AM - Response #2

I've used ancestry.com successfully, also a fee but it's been a time saver. GovDeathRecords.com (also a fee) has also yielded some deaths we couldn't verify.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM - Response #3

I should probably explain that ancestry.com uses death certificates, marriage records and census information. This has been helpful particularly for the ladies who married/changed names, people that move, etc.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM - Response #4

hi, i use "legacy.com". it is a free one. since we have a very large class we will be using the pay sites for their trial only.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM - Response #5

We've had the best luck at the library in the city where our high school is located, searching the local newspaper. We tried the internet route, and could only come up with decent results for the last 5 years or so. Each library seems to have different resources, so we've found it best to talk with the librarian who knows their way around this type of research. It wasn't as easy to do this sort of research at an out of town library.

Ancestry.com searches can be very time consuming, but I was pleased to learn that the library in my town has free access to the full version of ancestry.com, plus they are in the process of entering all the obits for our area into their database.

We've done pretty well online with http://www.lifestorynet.com/ for more recent obits. Also, if you check the website of the mortuaries in the area where the deceased lived, sometimes they do their own listings online. I even found one that would allow you to light a virtual candle on the site for that person for $15!

We have complete obits for all but 5 of our 48 deceased. Our research person has done extensive genealogy research for her own family, and loves the hunt. She has done an incredible job!

Edited 12/17/09 9:58 AM
Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM - Response #6

Legacy.com is good if you get it within the first few months, then you have to pay to get older ones. I have a subscription to GenealogyBank.com which has a huge number of newspapers online with obits and photographs. They go back some 20 years or more sometimes.

But my public library has online access to NewsBank which I can use for free from home, entering my library card number for access. They seem to have about the same extensive selection of newspaper obits and archives as GenealogyBank.

So if not in your city library's online resources, also try the county library.

Edited 12/17/09 11:16 AM
Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM - Response #7

is Newsbank a data base?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM - Response #8

Yes, NewsBank works pretty much like Legacy & GenealogyBank--you enter a name or just some text. I sometimes just ask for the city, "grew up in [city]" or the name of the high school.

Friday, December 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM - Response #9

obitsarchive was the right one for us! It has our local newspaper. We have over 1,200 in the "in memory" and I have found quite a few here.

The only problem I am having is the delay in adding to "In Memory". Any help Brad?

Friday, December 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM - Response #10

None at the moment. You and only 1 other school on Class Creator experience this type of delay when adding somebody to the In Memory page. The issue is that you have 25,000 Classmates entered into your site. As a result a database query has to pull in 25,000 people and that can take awhile to process.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.