ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

UI Improvements?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/17/21 06:03 PM Views: 280 Replies: 10
Friday, September 17, 2021 at 6:03 PM

Class Creator, it's 2021. When can we expect to see some User Interface (UI) improvements to the site? It looks like something from the 1990's.

If you want users to come back to your site, it needs to be presentable. Our class users are looking for a clean, easy-to-read format, none of which the current site offers.

Friday, September 17, 2021 at 10:42 PM - Response #1

Have your checked out Responsive Design choices? Under Customize Design. Your site is using the old style formats.

Many more choices and the main benefit is that on mobile devices show much better. Menus much more compact, much easier for admins and so forth. A lot of how it looks is up to you.

Friday, September 17, 2021 at 11:11 PM - Response #2

To switch to Responsive Design, under Admin Functions, click on Change Design. You'll see the Responsive Design option at the top. You can get a preview of how your site would look by holding your cursor over the picture and clicking on Preview. The Responsive Design option has been available for many years.

Edited 09/17/21 11:12 PM
Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 2:11 AM - Response #3

Right Scott. Change Design and THEN Customize Design - which Responsive has and I don't think the old system has that. There are way more variations possible.

Monday, September 20, 2021 at 5:38 PM - Response #4

Done! Thank you for the advice.

Monday, September 20, 2021 at 6:00 PM - Response #5

yay. Have fun. now need to get Scott to change Very Happy

Monday, September 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM - Response #6

Unfortunately, we have so many pages with lots of text, that the layout of Responsive Design (RD) keeps me from switching. In RD, the width of a line of text on regular pages, not the home page, makes it uncomfortable to read for my eyes. This is a subject that has been discussed at length in previous topics.

Monday, September 20, 2021 at 10:36 PM - Response #7

Sorta true as I've explained too. Start with the smaller width as Doreen did. It's pretty easy to make it easy to read but you have to learn some simple CSS. Lots and lots of pages have massive text and look great.

I've tried to get CC to make a sticky topic where various CSS tricks apply to Responsive designs to make it even better.

There is way more flexibility, especially on mobile. Classic is awful on mobile devices. Plus the admin menus are way way easier and faster on Responsive. As OP explained "It looks like something from the 1990's

Just lots of text wide or narrow looks much better broken up with pictures and styling elements. If you look at many pages you can see how that's done.

Our pages of Bothell History has a section of nothing but "text" as in describing history, yet I broke it up as shown. That was actually my very first learning curve with CSS. Just putting images on the left side is pretty easy. Switching them back and forth was a tad harder. And there are better ways still.

So yes you have to learn a tiny bit but the end results are well worth it. You can have pages and pages of "text" but you have to put in a tiny bit of basic CSS or images to get stuff stuff looking better. All text is bad no matter if it's narrow or wide.

Monday, September 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM - Response #8

I just looked at site in more detail Scott. You have very few pages that are really all that filled with just text. So that was a bit confusing. Your site is extremely adaptive to Responsive.

Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM - Response #9

Doreen Administrator wrote:

Done! Thank you for the advice.

It looks good, Doreen!

Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 1:23 PM - Response #10

It works, Jack.

One question, is the "Welcome" (white on black) at the bottom part of a footer? I noticed it on two pages.

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Our pages of Bothell History has a section of nothing but "text" as in describing history, yet I broke it up as shown.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.