ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Editing Pages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/02/15 09:59 AM Views: 3239 Replies: 19
Friday, October 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I've been muddling through setting up various pages. I do not like the editor. I can't seem to get any of my text in "Single Space" mode. When I switch to "Source", I see where the font is something like 20px/1.4px, so that explains the spacing.

How is everyone else getting pretty single-spaced text?

I am a programmer by trade, so writing in CSS is an exciting new tool for me, but I'm also a bit confused by it.

I spent the better part of last evening "fixing" a page. I wanted the background to be black (primary color) and some of the text to be white and some gold (secondary color). I got it all working fairly quickly, but when I actually published it, the background reverted to white. The lettering stayed put, but not the background. Sad

Is there something inherent on your site with pages that overrides style settings?

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM - Response #1

You can add CSS to the Google Analytics box at the bottom of the Preferences page. Doing so adds the code to the template so that you can refer to it when you add your classes to the Source view of the page in the editor. There are a few other admins here in the forums who do this for their sites.

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM - Response #2

Adding CSS code in the Google Analytics box will affect all pages - and works well if that's what you want to do. But.. if you just want to modify one page at a time, check out Jack Vermeulen's post {HERE}

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:32 PM - Response #3

You could also do the whole page in Word..and then upload it to the site using the Editor using the Word icon. Also if you set your size to if I remember correct normal

...at the bottom of the menu..it will take the spacing out. The editor gets quirky...you will get use to it..all things can be fixed. Some are an easy fix..so not so much.

See you are a programmer..what language??? I use to work in IT..as a data entry operator who use to type the programs..I use to luv typing those..so did my nite supervisor..we would fight who would input it and who would verify it. Also, was a computer operator, tape librarian...then got into pcs..been in the IT field since I graduated HS in 1965. I know have 2 desktops, 3 lappys and a lappy/tablet...plus 2 dumb phones and a samrt TV...luv it. LaughingI even have my own wifi hotspot...I would be lost without my puters. Even with all this technology..and still have a landline!!!Rolling Eyes

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM - Response #4

Not sure what you meant by colors since I'd need a 'page' example to mess with. Typically local HTML modifications stay put and are not overridden by any CC styles.

To get single spaced text (to the next paragraph), press the shift key+enter key. That enters a < br > vs a < p >. Be careful where you start though since the editor has a mind of it's own and changes things to what it thinks the "context" is. (That's a general issue for everything - use source mode to correct.)

It looks like you know that just typing a continuous sentence automatically wrap.

To get the fonts all the same size, select the whole area and then apply size (etc). Beware, again, that if there are starts/stops as one modifies it can get a bit messy if you pick a slightly different area (not obvious in visual mode). Again go to Source mode to fix.

You CAN override most of the styles yourself - put where Scott noted (useful for system wide modifications - for example I wanted a 'clean' home page with login all the way to the right).

Usually putting specific CSS styles just on some page works. However, usually HTML mods works fine, it's just that a lot of them are done manually in source mode since the editor doesn't have the option. For example the background color of a table.

And last, the editor CHANGES your code if it thinks there is something wrong. You can't see this until you save and then come back and look in Source mode. For some things you have to edit in HTML mode, otherwise it can't be done (and you have to stay in that mode to change things).

The real solution is to get a local HTML editor. There are some good free ones.

MS Web Expression 4 is FREE and pretty darn good LINK.

The CC editor is great for minor mods and final fixes. A local editor also lets you test your work LOCALLY (assuming you give the right references). That's the #1 advantage. You don't have to have the page online at all Idea

It took me a while to figure all this out coming from a Windows development system. It's all the same but different Rolling Eyes

Karen Landreth wrote:

I've been muddling through setting up various pages. I do not like the editor. I can't seem to get any of my text in "Single Space" mode. When I switch to "Source", I see where the font is something like 20px/1.4px, so that explains the spacing.

How is everyone else getting pretty single-spaced text?

I am a programmer by trade, so writing in CSS is an exciting new tool for me, but I'm also a bit confused by it.

I spent the better part of last evening "fixing" a page. I wanted the background to be black (primary color) and some of the text to be white and some gold (secondary color). I got it all working fairly quickly, but when I actually published it, the background reverted to white. The lettering stayed put, but not the background. Sad

Is there something inherent on your site with pages that overrides style settings?

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM - Response #5

Somewhere along the way I did put in the Analytics, but didn't realize it would affect my pages. I will take another look at it, though

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM - Response #6

About that...the Word thing. Every time I try, I get an error message saying my Browser security settings won't allow it. I haven't taken the time yet to figure out which browser security settings are affecting it. I may try it on a different computer / browser.

Oh you are my hero. Waaaayyyy back in the day, I learned on punch cards. HATED the keypunch machine. Nowadays, I'm in the HelpDesk/SysAd field, but seriously miss development work. I have three computers, a tablet, and a smart phone.

Edited 10/02/15 3:47 PM
Friday, October 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM - Response #7

I want the background of a new page to be black, and the text to be either white or gold (hex #dea82d). I'm somewhat familiar with the Shift+Enter thing...screws up signature blocks when going from HTML to text. I will look at your suggestions some more tonight.

I've seen several sites that have beautiful pages all neatly written and single-spaced (ex: http://www.ahsreunion646566.org/Policy-Information.htm). I WANT THAT!

Additionally, I noticed the editor was putting in extra   lines. WHYYYYYYYYY?????? I figured I'd confused it, but didn't know what I'd done wrong. I also thought about getting an editor, but wasn't sure which one.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited 10/02/15 3:50 PM
Friday, October 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM - Response #8

That page can be created using the CC editor. Now the interesting thing about the link you gave is that it has exactly the sort of invisible mess that the CC editor creates if not careful.

These 'invisibles' are not required/extra statements created when that person changed their mind (or whatever). For example here's one small snippet there that is completely redundant 'extra' stuff
only ONE strong is required. This is followed by an equally redundant /strongs at the end. This is repeated on that page over and over. So yes, it becomes an endemic really fast Wink

It's not the author's fault, it's just what happens. The only way to fix is to go into Source mode and manually cleanup. One can get into weird issues if this is not done all the time.

You can easily get a copy of that page into the editor by selecting all the text there (from your browser), press CTRL+C now go to the editor and CTRL+V into a new editor page. Now look in Source mode (upper left Editor icon) to see how it was constructed.

See the link John gave where I explained how to change the 'body' background. You can also use HTML table background color if you use a table or again just use the CSS listed.

Font color can also be done with CSS or just pick the text and assign a color.

Most people just use HTML, not CSS to create their pages. HTML is sort of similar to WORD concepts, CSS is not.

When you do certain things the editor will put in < p > paragraph controls. Usually because it thinks you forgot Twisted Evil

It drove (drives) me nuts too. The worst thing it does it take nicely/readable page data and scramble it so it's impossible to read. So that's another reason to compose in an outside editor. Most don't do that, but a few do too.

If you give a link to a page that is doesn't work, can give you ideas. A link does not have to be active for this to work.

Karen Landreth wrote:

I want the background of a new page to be black, and the text to be either white or gold (hex #dea82d). I'm somewhat familiar with the Shift+Enter thing...screws up signature blocks when going from HTML to text. I will look at your suggestions some more tonight.

I've seen several sites that have beautiful pages all neatly written and single-spaced (ex: http://www.ahsreunion646566.org/Policy-Information.htm). I WANT THAT!

Additionally, I noticed the editor was putting in extra   lines. WHYYYYYYYYY?????? I figured I'd confused it, but didn't know what I'd done wrong. I also thought about getting an editor, but wasn't sure which one.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Friday, October 2, 2015 at 11:15 PM - Response #9

I started out as a key punch operator..took a 3 wk course..passed with flying color..back in the day I typed 120wpm...and over 17,000 kph...I think don't think it was a minute. I luv working in IT...now..I just am a lowly webmaster of our website...Brad says..anyone who can create pages is a webmaster..it's our content CC makes us look like rock stars. We gotta keep in touch..talk ole puter stuff.
LaughingCool

Sorry we kinda go off topic..but it's fun when you meet another puter nerd.Rolling Eyes

Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 2:01 AM - Response #10

Karen, years ago we opted to use the classic profile option, but I think our editor is the same as the vast majority who use the social profile option.

If so, in the editor, third line of icons (Styles, Format, Font, etc.) click on Format. If you select the bottom selection, Normal (DIV), this will give you single-spaced text.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 3:13 AM - Response #11

Thank you for your suggestions. When I initially started with CSS, changing the background color was easy enough, but the minute I changed font color of certain lines, things began to go haywire. I tried the 'table' format as I'd seen that suggestion elsewhere, but I don't understand how to use it for text. Is the table just 1 x 1? How do you change the background. Ultimately, though, once I published my "black" page, it reverted to white, as though something inherent in CC overrode all my work. I will keep exploring.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 4:05 AM - Response #12

If you give a link of the 'haywire' page it will be easier to explain. The link is in the preview mode. Just copy that. I can remove the extra stuff.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 2:09 PM - Response #13
event.png

So, I moved on to other things, but now I'm back.

I'm trying to change the background color of the 'Event Planner' / Event Info' page. Looks perfect ... until I publish it. Everything reverts to black and white and I loose the formatting.

(I tried cutting and pasting the code, but it executed here. Not what I wanted, so I have a screen shot attached.)

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 11:54 PM - Response #14

To put html (or script) code on a post use the code icon in the forum editor, 3rd icon from the right. (Most code works - I forget which ones might still mess up, maybe most have been ironed out over time.)

The reason your "body" doesn't show is that the background is controlled by the style of Content685 (which is within body).

So this is what you need (text/css is optional)

The way you override the CC styles is to explore the current CSS and then modify those specific ones. There are others that control the left, right vertical bars, etc.

Edited 10/28/15 11:55 PM
Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 1:54 PM - Response #15

Thanks! I'll give this a shot. I figured CC was somehow overriding my code; just couldn't figure out how to stop it.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM - Response #16

Sad ok, I still can't get this to work. What am I doing wrong?!?Sad

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM - Response #17

Event Planner appears to have serious "save" issues as well as a really odd way interface involving saving, publishing and previewing compared to the super easy/simple main pages. It's totally different and appears to not work at all - at least once you have entered some data (which I did a when it first became available).

I tried to modify some text and styles (for this post) and it refused to accept the changes. Toggling status on/off affects things that should have nothing at all to do with the text/edit.

Anyway, nothing/changes are saving that I could tell, save, publish, etc etc, None worked.

If that's the area you are working with, report in bugs. AFAIK this has never really worked correctly, but I assumed others would report. Question

Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM - Response #18

OK, sort of figured out what's wrong on my end. Existing event planner data (from some time back) can't be changed and "edit" looks totally different from editor I get when I created a new event. Not the same edit screen. Plus nothing gets saved. Not a biggie for me since it was just a test event back then.

So assuming that you have a new event and that you can see the regular style editor (which I did not see on my prior event, but do on a new one), style changes work. I modified 'body' and it worked.

What is the style content you are entering? I can enter it on my end and see what happens.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 8:41 PM - Response #19

Boy, where have I been?!? Sorry for the late reply. Let me take a look, and I'll get back to you. Thanks again for your help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.