ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Locking Names

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/25/08 12:18 AM Views: 1665 Replies: 16
Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Is it possible to lock classmates names so they can't change them, a few of my classmates think it is hilarious to keep changing their names, even to other classmates names. Hard to believe they are 43 and not 12... sigh

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:29 AM - Response #1

I think you should remove them from the site until they agree to be 43 years old.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM - Response #2

The thought crossed my mind but the only way I can think of to lock a profile without deleting it (and destroying all the work they did) is to change the password but they can use the forgot password button to have it emailed to them.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM - Response #3

Hank Degenring wrote:

The thought crossed my mind but the only way I can think of to lock a profile without deleting it (and destroying all the work they did) is to change the password but they can use the forgot password button to have it emailed to them.

In that case, you could change their e-mail address (remove the "@") and they couldn't get the password. Maybe after a month of "punishment", you could e-mail them the new password with a warning to see if the abuse still happens.

When you e-mail the class, the webpage is smart enough to tell you that this classmate's e-mail address is invalid, so it wouldn't send an e-mail to them.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM - Response #4

Kyle you have a very devious mind.... COOL!!! great idea thanks, that may be what I will do, but I'd prefer a more even approve... that no one can change their names, except admins.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM - Response #5

Hank Degenring wrote:

Kyle you have a very devious mind.

Thanks, I think.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM - Response #6

It was a compliment, too many times I think inside the box. You had a very simple and workable solution. I'd prefer an over all lock on names so that it doesn't look like I'm singling people out. I hate being the class mommy for too many reasons to mention... the fact I'm a guy is high on the list though Smile

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM - Response #7

Hank Degenring wrote:

Is it possible to lock classmates names so they can't change them, a few of my classmates think it is hilarious to keep changing their names, even to other classmates names. Hard to believe they are 43 and not 12... sigh

Maybe all changes of the "classmate name" field need to go through admin approval. That way, the admin could get an e-mail saying that the classmate wants to change their name to "xxxx", click here to approve. If the admin approves, the change happens.

I can see valid reasons for a classmate to change their name. For example, it was spelled wrong in the yearbook or the class-list that was used to generate the classmate list.

Just an idea.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 4:00 PM - Response #8

I agree that changes do sometimes need to be made, but they can email me and I will change them, that way we don't have Luke Skywalker or Dick Hertz as classmembers.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM - Response #9

Well, as you've figured out, you cannot currently lock down names. People do change them all the time too, as you've all mentioned. Anna wants to just be Ann. Robert wants to be Bob. People change names all the time.

Can I suggest the obvious here? Have you emailed these people a short sweet email? Not all serious... Just a polite email that basically says, "look, we're really trying to run a class web site with some prefessionalism, and I'd really appreciate it as your Site Administrator if you'd not change your name in the future."

Something simple and brief like that can be effective. And then if they don't listen, change their danged email address. Wink Heh. Sorry, but I'm with Kyle on this! Maybe if you lock people out, they'll consider growing up?

I'm willing to revisit my position here by the way. But, for now, I'm largely against adding one more optional feature that frankly, most schools just don't need.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM - Response #10

Brad I agree, and if it was only Robert/Bob or Anna/Ann types I wouldn't mind, but last night we had Luke Skywalker and some was HankDegenring (no space) which is annoying and confusing. I understand your point of view and will try the email lockout trick if I have to.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:21 PM - Response #11

Have you politely asked them to stop? And they're still doing it?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:28 PM - Response #12

I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem! Mine have gone through the list of names of classmates from elementary, to teachers, to band names, even so far as to name themselves after one classmates' baton! Add the fact in that they refuse to use the chat room, and use the forum site as chat. . . it gets very confusing!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM - Response #13

Brad I did ask them to stop last night, after a bit of attitude they did stop. They then went back and deleted a lot of their messages. I changed the names back this morning and no further changes have taken place. So far...

Kimberly you are having the exact issues I am LOL. I turned off the chat for now because when they did use it there was no way to know who they really were. My classmates have always used the Message Forum to chat and even after I set up a chat room they barely used it except to change names constantly. One very witty classmate actually did the "Who's on first" sketch, by himself, changing his name between each message. I actually thought that was funny.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM - Response #14

LaughingThat is pretty funny--sounds like the clowns that I graduated with!! One even changed his name to mine after I made the mistake of posting that I had to go run some errands, and then proceeding to start on about how I had always had a huge crush on a certain classmate(which, of course, was him), and how I had pics all over my room of him! Luckily, the girls that were on at the time figured it out!! We have had to go back and delete MANY posts MANY times!!!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 3:56 PM - Response #15

Brad..If I as the admin change a password can the classmate still enter the site? If they forget their password they can't get in can they?

JIM

Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 12:32 AM - Response #16

If they forgot their password, or if you changed it in their record, yes they could still log into the site. Because they could simply click "Forgot Password" on your home page's login box. And your site will immediately email them their password, allowing them to log in.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.