ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory - Viewing

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 10/01/13 03:42 PM Views: 2063 Replies: 39
Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

We've chosen to keep the In Memory page unrestricted so that friends and family can view it. But as it works now, only logged in classmates can see the additional posts, pictures, and added memories.

When a family member comes to our site, clicks on In Memory, and clicks on the person's name, the site tries to go to their profile, and would normally find that it's a In Memory classmate and go to any In Memory comments. But since the Class Profiles page is restricted, they go directly to the Restricted log-in-or-join page.

We'd like to see any In Memory coments also viewable when the In Memory page is not restricted. I would, however, want the "View Profile" link at the top of the comments page to function as it should for a non-member.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM - Response #1

Ah, this same thing just came up a couple days ago. What you just said makes perfect sense to me John. We'll do it, but starting today we just went into what we're calling "code lockdown". On October 12th all new software and hardware to run Class Creator goes into place and we can't update any files between now and then as our new IT Team is preparing the new servers for launch now. But we'll definitely hit this after launch.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ah, this same thing just came up a couple days ago. What you just said makes perfect sense to me John. We'll do it, but starting today we just went into what we're calling "code lockdown". On October 12th all new software and hardware to run Class Creator goes into place and we can't update any files between now and then as our new IT Team is preparing the new servers for launch now. But we'll definitely hit this after launch.

Oct 12th, new software? Have to ask, is that the Facebook App going live around there? What kind of neat things are coming? Wow, Christmas in October............ Very Happy

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM - Response #3

Don't get too excited now. Smile Facebook isn't coming that quickly -- many things left to do. System moving to all new hardware, software, and even all new IT team on the 12th. System wide notice to come out shortly.

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM - Response #4

Thanks Brad. We'll all be happy to see the new hardware/software platform in place, and will lobby for a spot on the priority list after that's settled in and you have more resources to devote to pending changes, fixes, and requests.

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #5

You got it John. Smile

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #6

AHHHH!!! Brad..another request...when people send us 'In Memory' notices from a multi-yr sites...Could the class year be included in one of the questionsQuestionQuestionIdeaIdea

I see BROWNIES in your futureQuestionQuestionWinkWink

NO, really...I will start baking soon for my Octoberfest Party...what's a few more browniesQuestionQuestionQuestionVery HappyVery Happy

the class Brad Switzer wrote:

You got it John. Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM - Response #7

Will put request into Programming for this. Note no code changes can be made until after Oct. 12th when our new software and hardware goes live in the Data Center. But after that time I'm hoping Programming will get on this task so I can get some brownies. Smile Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, brownies. Smile We will always be bribeable here at Class Creator. But at least we're honest about that. Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM - Response #8

@ Brad.Put your request in for the type of brownies....Don't remember what I sent last time...I think double choco and cashew....what was the other oneQuestion I will BRIBE away!!! WinkWinkRolling EyesRolling Eyes

Brad Switzer wrote:

Will put request into Programming for this. Note no code changes can be made until after Oct. 12th when our new software and hardware goes live in the Data Center. But after that time I'm hoping Programming will get on this task so I can get some brownies. Smile Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, brownies. Smile We will always be bribeable here at Class Creator. But at least we're honest about that. Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM - Response #9

I am going to hi-jack that brownie shipment, split it in two and forward one-half to Kyle and one to yours truly! Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM - Response #10

Gwen,

1/2 might not be only one brownie. I am good with that.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM - Response #11

Let us get our server move complete on the 12th and then actually get to this thereafter. Smile Don't wanna be munchin' on our reward prior to actually doing the task.

Alternatively, I could ball and chain a programmer to his desk, then set the brownies just out of reach until the task is complete. Come to think of it, that might work better. Wink

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM - Response #12

Be sure to ask that programmer if they prefer coffee or Red Bull.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM - Response #13

I will have to get both of your addresses..so I can send you some for the holidays..maybe my homemade very creamy fudge is in your future!!!WinkWink
Gwen Corey wrote:

I am going to hi-jack that brownie shipment, split it in two and forward one-half to Kyle and one to yours truly! Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM - Response #14

Kyle,
You and Gwen get my fantastic homemade fudge...made from a very old recipe from my old church cookbook...it is so yummy....I should really make it and sell it. Very Happy

Kyle,,,PM me your address.Wink

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Gwen,

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM - Response #15

@ Brad..I will be making brownies the wk of Oct. 14th for my Octoberfest goody bag.
I need the new address so I can send them priority mail.WinkRazz

Brad Switzer wrote:

Let us get our server move complete on the 12th and then actually get to this thereafter. Smile Don't wanna be munchin' on our reward prior to actually doing the task.

Alternatively, I could ball and chain a programmer to his desk, then set the brownies just out of reach until the task is complete. Come to think of it, that might work better. Wink

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM - Response #16

OH..How I remember those days of new software and changing serversExclamationExclamationQuestionQuestionExclamation
That means that there could be an outage longer than what you anticipated. it's those dam puter gremils.Twisted EvilTwisted Evil that always decide to pop when you least expect them.

It always happened to us at Zenith....working with the System Analysts were always fun....I tried to take a programming course and hated it...I luved the data entry part, running the the dural mainframe system...printing on our 3 huge printers simultaneusly....got tired of that became the tape librarian...did JCL, too!!! Now...it's 2 desktop pc's and 2 lappy's...don't like smartphones...had a tablet...not thrilled with that either..gave it to my Grandgirls.

I guess I will surprise with the flavors of brownies!!!
Don't worry they won't be there until my site is error free!!! LaughingLaughing

Brad Switzer wrote:

Edited 10/05/13 10:47 PM
Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM - Response #17

Ditto, Kyle! Smile

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Gwen,

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Response #18

Kyle, Did you read Brad gets brownies next week?
I'll find us some good brownies, Kyle.... somewhere. Wink

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM - Response #19

Although problems with email are being tracked in another forum entry, I should mention here that I haven't seen a notify email from ClassCreator about this thread since #13.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM - Response #20

I assume that is tied to the other thread and therefore we will just address that issue there.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM - Response #21

I think it is Scott, and I've mentioned it in one of the posts there. It just appeared to be another symptom of the problem which has now carried over into this, and perhaps other forums as well.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM - Response #22

John I'm assuming you've got the third subscription option below selected, correct? That's clearly the only option that will email you individual responses to this thread.

"Email me all responses to this thread, In Memory - Viewing?" Needs to be set to Yes.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM - Response #23

Yep. I think that defaults if you post. And I just checked. Email All Responses To This Thread is marked Yes.

Just disappointed that I missed out on the brownie auction...

Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM - Response #24

It doesn't matter that much to me, but "new topic" emails from these forums are often a day late. Usually forums I've posted in are more immediate, but even those can get delayed by a day. Varies a lot, like the weatherRolling Eyes

Friday, October 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM - Response #25

Well, not exactly. Smile

New topic notices don't go out until we approve them. I.E. somebody internally has read them first. That's why they may appear late to you. But the notice actually immediately sends when we click approve.

As much as we like to have fun in these forums and create an enjoyable environment for everyone, as a result of this sometimes people post things that have little or no relevance to Class Creator. While we pretty much allow the posting of anything here, we have an obligation not to allow any post of any kind to immediately go out the email list subscribers. If we did that, essentially anyone could email anything they wanted at any time to the entire subscriber list just by posting a new topic in these forums.

Although it doesn't happen often we've had a variety of things we have not approved or in rare cases removed entirely, such as political messages. We generally don't approve other things like cartoons, YouTube videos that have no relevance to anything pertaining to Class Creator, etc. Again it would be a huge abuse to allow these types of things to go out to the entire email list unchecked. People sign up for these forums because they expect to receive relevant content in their email -- not things like political messages, cartoon, and Youtube videos having nothing to do with Class Creator. And the like.

Now you know. Smile It's not a glitch -- it's working precisely as designed.

Edited 10/11/13 12:47 PM
Friday, October 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM - Response #26

That makes sense. Responses to "approved" posts are also often a day or two late though. It's not an issue for me, just sayin in case somehow it relatesWink

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM - Response #27

John - go to your In Memory page (logged out) and click through to a comments page.

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM - Response #28

Perfect! Exactly what I'd hoped for.

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM - Response #29

It would appear that the link to a previous profile at the bottom of the In Memory page may now be superfluous.

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM - Response #30

What is the person viewing the page is a classmate but not logged in? That would often be the case if somebody has come from an email link. If we show the Profile link and they want to view the old Profile, they'd be prompted to log in, but they could do so. Most of the time it's going to be a classmate reading the page thus I'd opt for leaving the link displaying even if they're not currently logged in.

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM - Response #31

Brad Switzer wrote:

What is the person viewing the page is a classmate but not logged in? That would often be the case if somebody has come from an email link. If we show the Profile link and they want to view the old Profile, they'd be prompted to log in, but they could do so. Most of the time it's going to be a classmate reading the page thus I'd opt for leaving the link displaying even if they're not currently logged in.

But if you're on the In Memory page neither link to the old profile shows up if you're not logged on. Conversely, both links show up if you are logged on.

[Edit] The above is true if the profile is restricted. If the profile is not restricted you see both links to the old profile if you are logged on or not.

Edited 10/21/13 10:40 PM
Monday, October 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM - Response #32

I think we should always show the link.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM - Response #33

I don't have a problem with the link at the bottom along with the "View Profile" option at the top right of the first comment box. It's redundant as FC said, but having both is fine with me.

What I see today suggests that something changed since yesterday. When logged in, both options display (if the member had a profile) and both work.

If not logged in, both links still display but result in a a blank page with a red 'Restricted" displayed at the top left.

Wouldn't it be better if the non-logged in viewers simply didn't see either option - like what we see for In Memory members who never joined and didn't have a profile?

[Edit] Brad, I should mention that I got the notify email for response #29, but did not get a notify email for responses #30, #31, and #32.

Edited 10/22/13 1:31 PM
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM - Response #34

We are still investigating issues with the Notify Me notifications.. specifically those set to Once Daily.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM - Response #35

I should have noticed this earlier John, but your email you're using for forum post notifications is at&t, correct? Any chance you can change that to any other provider and see what kind of results you get? Unfortunately in this history of Class Creator, AT&T has been a huge problem way above and beyond any other email provider with delivering emails from Class Creator. They block emails repeatedly. We have called over there, written over there, even had customers call and write. Each time they say something about correcting things, yet their system turns right around again and blocks emails. It's unbelievably frustrating. We've told them these are very real and requested emails, often pertaining to class reunions, financial transactions, you name it. Yet AT&T continues to be a huge problem that we continually try to combat. I have asked repeatedly that they simply whitelist our outgoing email addresses to avail. Maybe they delivered response #29, and blocked the rest because their algorithms considered the other emails similar. My guess is if you try any other email provider this won't keep happening. Unfortunately we can only send an email -- I can't make AT&T deliver them to their own customers. Knowing what I know about how their system blocks emails, I would never use an AT&T email address. I'd rather get some spam here and there than have them blocking my real messages for me.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM - Response #36

Brad, I know exactly where you're coming from about AT&T, but that changed several years ago when they outsourced their email to Yahoo. I'll PM you more details on why I think I see a pattern where a small number of seeminly random emails from multiple triggers aren't being received here.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM - Response #37

I'll have the full results of my Notify Me tests very soon now. Believe me though, they may have changed to Yahoo, but AT&T remains the largest bouncer (by far) of Class Creator emails. Right on our internal main menu is a link to mail providers that have recently bounced us. Every day there's a number of things on the list, with reasons ranging anywhere from the mail server was having a temporary issue, somebody's email account no longer existed, to they're downright blocking our email for whatever the listed reason is. AT&T is constantly on that list and the numbers of bounces are huge. I'd say at least 10 times higher than any other provider. There's always going to be some bounced emails for any number of reasons, but AT&T downright blocks them. We call and fill out forms, etc., and it gets better for only a little while, until they begin doing it again. We've been playing this cat at mouse game for at least 3 years. Most other email providers have globally whitelisted us when we've reported a problem. This one remains a continual issue. Obviously all emails here are opt in. They have no valid reason for blocking Class Creator emails but for the time being this continues regularly.

John Ralph wrote:

Brad, I know exactly where you're coming from about AT&T, but that changed several years ago when they outsourced their email to Yahoo. I'll PM you more details on why I think I see a pattern where a small number of seeminly random emails from multiple triggers aren't being received here.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM - Response #38

I understand. I'll work on that from my end as a customer who's not getting what I pay ATT/Yahoo for.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM - Response #39

"If not logged in, both links still display, but result in a a blank page with a red 'Restricted" displayed at the top left."

Thanks for getting rid of the links and blank 'Restricted' page. Is there some reason that the word "Restricted" replaces the name in the first remembrance post's box if the viewer is not logged in? With the links to a profile no longer there, I don't see why it would be needed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.