ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Last Will and Root Designation on CC

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/25/11 08:10 PM Views: 1389 Replies: 14
Monday, April 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hello!

Having had a close call lately with the Big Guy, I started thinking about what would happen to the site(s) if something happened to me. Now, I know that only I can hand over power. Well, if my death announcement or "she has had a major car accident and will be hospitalized indefinitely" is on the homepage, I just can't hand anything over.

So what happens in a case like that?

I guess I am wondering if there is a system on CC where I can designate who will take over if it can be proven to CC that I am somewhere other than here at my computer and will not be returning?

Margaret

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 8:24 PM - Response #1

If someone sends in your obituary, we will assign a new Root Admin - most likely one of your admins already on your site will become the Root Admin if they want the job.

It has happened before.

There is nothing in ClassCreator to designate who should become the Root Admin upon your untimely demise.

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM - Response #2

I guess I am a weird type of person because I grew up in the household with an insurance salesman as a parent. The least favorite part of that job was delivering the payment to the beneficiary. But it was part of life.....

When I felt that there was a person I could trust completely with all of this, we sat down and I gave her my password so that she can go in "as me" and change the root admin to her. This can keep everything going as smoothly as possible now. As we get older, we may work something else out, but for now I am happy with this. She is amazing and totally "on board" and completely trustworthy. But you have to have that feeling.

Just my thoughts.
Denise

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM - Response #3

Must be our age, yesterday I was wondering what would happen if I was unable to continue the site. No one on my committee would be interested in taking over even if they could. As a group we are truly technically challenged. Guess it is something to be discussed at an upcoming meeting.

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM - Response #4

I am so glad you guys brought this subject to light. It is something that has crossed my mind also. Thanks for the input.
Sandy

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 11:17 PM - Response #5

For our site we have the root administrator and what we call the "content administrator". I am the content administrator and pretty much load most of the stuff for our site. I do have the root administrator's log in information as well as the password. Certainly hope I don't have to use it and vice-versa. Our 50th is coming up this September and just last week we lost the classmate who was going to be serving as our Master of Ceremonies at the actual event. So I guess at our age it is important to plan for all of these contingencies.
Rich

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM - Response #6

Sounds like the bottom line for all of us is to make those contingency plans.We have 4 other administrators who operate specific areas. But I have entrusted one person with my password. What else you need is someone on the homefront whocan check newspapers for obits and for awards, etc.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 6:59 AM - Response #7

I named other administrators, but how do you make them responsible for certain areas?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM - Response #8

As Kyle said, if someone approaches us with the obit of a Root Admin, we would typically reassign Root status to one of the other co-admins. If there are no other co-admins, the new Root can be anyone from within the class. Once Root Admin is established, they have full control over everything, in all areas of the site. We will be happy to assist them with any technical questions they may have at that time.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM - Response #9

Connie Faulk wrote:

I named other administrators, but how do you make them responsible for certain areas?

Hi Connie... Welcome to the Help Forums.

When you give someone "Admin" status, a new area opens up beneath that check box that allows you to specify which areas of your website you want to permit them to use.

For example, Editing Pages, Seeing Bounceback messages, Managing Classmates, etc.

You CAN give each person "All Access" by checking the three "ALL" boxes; however if they are not familiar with the system and how it functions, they could do some serious damage.

As the "Root Admin" YOU are the only one who can give another member Admin Access. There are certain other functions that only the Root Admin controls -- these are all under the "Preferences" link under "Admin Access".

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 6:56 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Scott, for being so informative. I am sure that CC would help anyone taking over after the untimely demise of the root. You have certainly doe a good job of educating me!

I have sat here and thought about a place on the Preference page where we could designate the next root. However, the more I thought, the more problems I saw. If I had filled that in when I started the site, I doubt if the same person would be perfect two years later. Then, if they knew, and you changed it, well, that is a whole new set of problems.

I am considering entrusting the trustworthy with my access info.

Then I could just run with "Let the chips fall where they may." and let CC designate a new root. If I am gone, I don't think I will care. I do worry about the site and my classmates a lot. Hopefully that will not continue in the afterlife!

Now, then there is the issue of the domain names. They are with the place recommended by CC. Is there a plan for transferring that account to someone else? My understanding is that it is part of the CC system.

Thanks....I feel I should at least tell the admins what will happen if something happens to me...like get a copy of my obit!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM - Response #11

I didn't think about the domain name issue. Written instructions on how to transfer everything would be good when there are no co-Administrator's. Include passwords?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM - Response #12

We have access to a dash board that would allow us to push the registration of a domain name to a new person. We would only exercise this option when the registrar has been proven to be deceased through an obituary and the person that control would be pushed to would be the new Root admin.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM - Response #13

Thanks!

Mary

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM - Response #14

Thanks! I just wouldn't want the name to get lost in the red tape. You have been very clear and patient with us, Scott. Thanks. You know, some of us are getting up there in years and we need reassurances that our legacy will continue after we are gone. This might rank as one of my largest contributions to mankind or at least to my home town. I am glad to know that CC will be making sure it continues.

M:O)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.