ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

A problem and a question

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/11/09 02:31 PM Views: 1646 Replies: 7
Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hey Brad, I have a problem and a question.
Problem: I have an announcement ("Reunion information") that contains all text and 2 links. I typed it directly into the announcement and it blew out my home page and the lines were fragmented. So I copied and paste it in a word doc and posted it in the announcement. Same results. Also create a big space with announcement above. If I disable the Reunion information announcement, everything looks fine.
Question 1: I want to put a link to the Reunion page and "contact" in the body of the instruction on the Home Page. Some of my classmates seem to have a problem figuring out that they have to click the links in the left columnConfused (It's generation thing, they are really smart people!) I copied and pasted the URL from the address bar for each page but I'm sure there's a way to have the link say just "Reunion Info and Registration" and "Email me". Please tell me how Oh wise master of the web! Smile I tried just replacing the words in the URL but when I clicked on it I got the "Ask" search engine.
Thanks Brad.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM - Response #1

Hilary Ho Sang wrote:

Hey Brad, I have a problem and a question.
Problem: I have an announcement ("Reunion information") that contains all text and 2 links. I typed it directly into the announcement and it blew out my home page and the lines were fragmented. So I copied and paste it in a word doc and posted it in the announcement. Same results. Also create a big space with announcement above. If I disable the Reunion information announcement, everything looks fine.

There were three things causing the blowout for this annoucement.

1. Two of your graphics that show the reunion detail and menu were on the same line which was pushing the page far over to the left - I moved one of them below the other and that addressed that part of the blowout.

2. You have two smiley images with a long blue line between them. That line looks shorter in the editor than it really is. I'd take out the blue line for now or just make it 5 spaces wide until you update item 3 and then you can see how many more spaces the blue line can be.

3. Your graphics for the details and menu are 600 pixels wide - the announcements area works best on images that are 400 pixels wide or less.

Hilary Ho Sang wrote:

Question 1: I want to put a link to the Reunion page and "contact" in the body of the instruction on the Home Page. Some of my classmates seem to have a problem figuring out that they have to click the links in the left columnConfused (It's generation thing, they are really smart people!) I copied and pasted the URL from the address bar for each page but I'm sure there's a way to have the link say just "Reunion Info and Registration" and "Email me". Please tell me how Oh wise master of the web! Smile I tried just replacing the words in the URL but when I clicked on it I got the "Ask" search engine.
Thanks Brad.

Make sure you are adding the full URL to the link

http://www.classcreator.com/Kingston-Jamaica-Convent-Of-Mercy-Academy-Alpha-1959/member_ReunionSignup.cfm

That link is too long and won't wrap in the announcements area - you can get around that by making the link text shorter - you will need to drop the links into the source code rather than the editor view. Here is how they would look in code:

Reunion Registration Link

That will link to the sign-up page and will only display the words Reunion Registration Link as the link in the announcement.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM - Response #2

Thank you Jessica, the link thing worked great but it took me a while to figure out how to close that hugh gap in Firefox and to defrag my sentences that abruptly stopped on one line and continues on another. It was a learning experience.
Thanks.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM - Response #3

Hi Jessica, Is there a way to make the links look like buttons? I would like one that says "Reunion Info" that links with the Reunion page and another that says "Register" that goes directly to the registration form.
Trying to make it as user friendly as possible.
Thanks in advance.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM - Response #4

Using any graphics software such as Adobe Photoshop, you could quickly whip up a button to say anything you want. Save it as a .gif image. Upload to your site. Click on it to select the button, then click the chain link icon and assign a link. Voila, you button now clicks to the page of your choice.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #5

Another thing you could do is create a 1 x 1 table, give the table a colored background, type some text inside the table, and then link that text to the page of your choice. That will also give the appearance of a button. See the buttons in these forums, like the "Reply" button below? That's all these are -- just some simple tables with some text inside.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM - Response #6

Thanks Brad, Will try it and see how it goes. While I have your attention, could you please point me to the info about the new reunion planner. Can't seem to find the origianl notice explaining how to use it, can only find the discussions about it. I'm scared to reset because I don't know how much will cross over and what, if anything I will have to redo manually. I'm sure the info must be somewhere, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks Brad and sorry to give you extra work.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM - Response #7

Reunion Planner II features and fees were updated awhile back, and the current info is located in this thread.

Here's some info about our demo site I'm copying from another thread:

You can't see Reunion Planner II until you reset your current reunion.

You can play around with Reunion Planner II here though:

1) Site address: http://www.classcreator.com/Afton-WY-Star-Valley-1900
2) Login: info@classcreator.com
3) Password: classcreator

Click Reunion Planner, turn on items for sale. Try selecting "Check" and "Other" payments. Try adding a few test items, etc. Then save your Reunion Planner and click your new reunion info link on the left so you can see how the store looks to the Classmates.

Many more things are still slated for Reunion Planner II. As they become available you'll be able to see/test them at this demo site.

Also make sure you take a look at our Guide to Managing Payment Types for Reunion Planner II.

FYI, we just got approved for our ACH account (direct deposit) so the next thing we're going to offer in the Reunion Plannner is direct deposit into your bank account rather than having to wait 2 weeks for checks (if you're accepting credit cards on your site that is). Obviously if you're doing "Check" or "Other" payment types only, ACH would not apply.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.