ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Great article about Classmates.com

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/13/08 08:22 AM Views: 2040 Replies: 8
Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM

I think this article pretty much sums up why we are all here using Classcreator.

Edited 11/13/08 4:08 PM
Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM - Response #1

I have had a good experience with classmates.com as I have more than one community there; school, military, work. I am at Class Creator because I was lucky enough to find it and smart enough to stay with it. It is more appealing, user friendly and cheaper than classmates.com. I control what goes on my site here which is a nice advantage to have. I list the classmates on my site rather than some Tom, Dick or Harry joining who wasn't in our class. I have found people listed on classmates.com who weren't in our class at all. That is erroneous info provided by the person and they (classmastes.com) probably have no way of verifying the person's claim. I can't say enough good about the system here but won't belittle classmates.com to serve your agenda. When I go to reunion.com, I get an alert that it engages in not so good practices. I found a friend of mine from grade school so I won't steer away from that site either. It is each person's choice what they use to locate old friends. Class Creator doesn't seem to be as much about locating as it is reconnecting friends. That's my two cents. Tam

Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM - Response #2

I agree 100% with Brian and with the writer of the article. I've tried unsubscribing to both Classmates.com and Reunion.com and the emails keep coming. I just delete them. I'm glad you're having a good experience with them, Tamson, but it's their business practices that's in question here. Have you been able to reach anyone by email or phone for any kind of support? Just curious. I've never tried except to click their unsubscribe button, but the article claims they are unreachable so just curious if you have a different experience in that area also. When I signed up for Google many years ago, I seem to recall a statement in their TOS that said you agree not to contact them about anything. It gave me pause but as the writer says, it's free and if I have a question, well, I just google it! The point is that at least they tell you up front.
I don't believe that Classmate.com or Reunion.com lifts a finger to find your classmates for you. They just configure it so when people sign up that remotely matches your criteria, their name is sent to you. I think that if you configure your ClassCreator site to be seen on search engines, people can find you just the same and it's more direct and it's free. Yeah, ClassCreator!!
Well, that's my 10 cents spent.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM - Response #3

I recently signed up for a classmates.com free account hoping to locate some lost classmates so I could contact them about our new website and upcoming reunion. Yeah, like that was going to happen!! Anyway, instantly, before I knew what was happening, classmates.com kidnapped my address book and sent everyone in it an email in my name saying I wanted them to join me in the classmates.com reunion site! I was very upset when I realized this had happened! I have many of my professional collegues in my address book, and certainly did not want that email to go out to them. I sent an apology notice out explaining the situation, but felt angered that I was put in that situation. I would not suggest anyone go anywhere near classmates.com if you want to keep your dignity in tact! I hadn't thought of mentioning that here until this subject came up, and even then hesitated...but I am sure others have thought about trying to use classmates.com as another avenue to try to locate classmates they have been unable to find. I hope this information keeps others from the same fate I experienced. I am so thrilled I found this great site that does have real people and integrity behind it! Thanks for all you do Class Creator! We all love you!

Edited 11/13/08 11:47 AM
Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM - Response #4

Anita, that same thing happened to me at Reunion.com! I WILL NOT ever use them for anything again. At Classmates we have people in our 'class' that were NEVER in our class, in fact it shows they went to a different school in another city! They (CM) must be anticipating their lawsuit loss as my account doesn't expire until 12/29 and I already received an email giving me a 50% bargain if I renewed my subscription now. (not gonna happen!)
I did use CM to advise others to join our site here. As you know CM will NOT let you enter a website so you have to get around them. I put in spaces and used the wording "dotcom" instead of ".com" and it got posted. Also, at CM I sent an individual notice to each classmate, HOWEVER, you cannot tell if they still have an active account. Maybe someone will follow suit (no pun intended?) and go after reuniondotcom too!

Edited 11/13/08 1:30 PM
Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 1:04 PM - Response #5

All systems have their strengths and weaknesses. And not all classes and classmates have the same needs. Class Creator in many regards, while maybe similar in over all mission, operates in a different space. We're a complete Content Management System (CMS) where you're creating and really running your class site in a world of your own. In fact every day we strive to become an even more robust CMS. While we feel this is the ultimate way to go, we also realize there's a lot to learn and manage in a CMS like this and it's not for everyone.

In this regard, I could make a pretty good case that we're not really competing in a direct way with most of the other Classmate operations out there. There are actually very few Classmate CMSs in existence. And ya'all know that we're striving to be the best Classmate CMS in the world.

So, we'll continue doing what we do. We'll let them do what they do and people will fall where they may based on the needs that they have. Having said that I don't think there's much point in bashing anybody else here. Let's keep it positive and focus on what Class Creator does and where Class Creator is going.

Frankly we don't have time to watch what other systems are doing anyway. We take our cues here from YOU. And you know what, that's how we wound up completely different from any other system out there. So what we want to do now is further that mission and become even more unique and more robust, and create a more engaging experience for the users of the system. That's what it's all about.

So keep the great suggestions coming everyone, we'll keep listening to and meeting your needs, and together we'll keep Class Creator in a league of its own -- a system crafted by the users, for the users.

Edited 11/13/08 5:06 PM
Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 1:16 PM - Response #6

That's what we love about you Brad and Crew!
Well Said!Smile

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM - Response #7

It would be nice if there was an option (button)for classmates to state if they are members of Facebook or Classmates.com. Our site here is getting ready to go live so I'm going to be contacting my classmates discreetly who are on classmates.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM - Response #8

Terry, It's easy to add a profile question asking either or both questions so classmates have the option to respoond when they fill out their profiles.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.