ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Any 'html 'rules?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/19/09 06:35 PM Views: 1601 Replies: 5
Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Hi,

Because I do a lot of things to my Pages, I am always messing up the code.

1. I know not to hit the space bar multiple times, but, then how do you move the cursor across a line?

2. I can't use the "tab", or things go crazy.

3. When I cut/paste something from the middle of a page, I can make "marks" in the regular view, but in source, how do I know that there isn't something 'before' my marks that is needed for alignment or something?

4. If I need to "go back", does using the "backspace' cause a problem?

5. What does the editor's "undo" arrow do to the code?

I always do 'ok' until the bottom of the page and then things go berserk b/c whatever I've done wrong, seems to accumulate at the end.

Are there any simple basic rules that would help me avoid more common errors? I'm spending hours trying to find out what I've done wrong. I usually find it, but there has to be a better way.

You say you 'run our stuff thru a filter' to correct. How do we get a filter?

Thank,N

Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM - Response #1

All very good questions Nancy. First let me hit your filer question. I use Adobe Dreamweaver, which I personally think is the best html editor out there. When people paste Microsoft Word code into their pages I'll often just grap the entire page full of code, pop it into Dreamweaver, run a built-in Dreamweaver filter that removes Word code, then I paste the clean code back into the editor and save. I've probably done this a hundred times to fix sites with Word code. And you are the first person to actually ask what Word code filter I'm using. It's just Dreamweaver. It's generally used by web professionals and high level developers, but there are certainly plenty of people here who are using it.

Regarding your html questions, there's a lot of things on the web that just don't really work the way you're used to with traditional word processing. That's why you can't simply press tab and have it work the same way that it works in Microsoft Word, for example. Web layouts are typically held together by a table structure, or using a more advanced layout method known as CSS (which stands for Cascading Style Sheets). With CSS you can do all kinds of things -- it really gives you exact control over your layouts.

Now, having said that, here's the deal: In general, the editor is used by most people in visual view, and they create their content by seeing what they're typing on the screen. For 90% of people that's sufficient. But as you've noted, we do have the "Source" button that allows you to view and edit the source code on the page too. And that allows you into a whole different world of development. From there you can essentially do anything -- just bear in mind that when you're working at that level, you are in fact becoming a real web designer. The code you see there is no different from working in any html program. It's the same stuff.

So -- rather than getting too deep into html support here, what I suggest you do if you want to get into a higher level of development is get a reall good book on html. Or search Google for "free html tutorial." There are many out there that are very good. HTML is not hard really -- particualry for most of the things you'd want to do on a class web site. But it's also not child's play. It takes some learning and practice to get good at it. Most basic html tutorials you can read in a day. Don't be afaraid to give it a whirl. It's something that "ordinary mortals" can really do -- you'll be proud of yourself for learning some higher level skills, and as a result your site will be that much better.

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM - Response #2

Brad or Kyle,

I've been a coder for close to 10 years and until I discovered CC, I was all set to create what you have done here. Then I decided why re-invent the wheel, however I have a classmate who was a history teacher and has re-written the items pertaining to the history of 1961. I thought I could use one of my extra pages to do the History page CORRECTLY! Then I discovered it would be near impossible.

Since I have Dreamweaver on my iMac-24 I again found that I have no way to upload my creation (which I have yet to do) since I'm not overly excited about spending several hours creating what I want--only to find out that it will only reside on my computer someplace.

Question #1 what can I do to resolve this? The folks at People History have been notified of the problem, but haven't done anything about it and since my History Teacher Classmate is also one of my Admin's I have to keep him happy.
Question #2: I use Cyber-duck for FTP so if you should give me a way to upload this page, I also would like to have a copy of your CSS so I don't blow things.
Question #3: Depending on the response to the above, I would add an automatic (transparent) instant re-direct to a website that I developed & maintain for additional pages beyond the ones you furnish (Customizable pages) that when the classmate wishes to return to your site there will be another automatic (transparent) instant re-direct back to CC.

You have added a page in the new Multi-Class Year program that has been tempting me to make the switch. Not being able to switch back has kept me from further considering this option. So one more reason why I want to be able to have my cake and eat it too!

As you probably know, I plan to stick with CC for the long haul as I've already subscribed for 10 years and my long range plan is to try to convince everyone of the other 90+ classes from Bothell High (that still have at least 2 classmates alive) to join CC. (Our School will be celebrating it's 100th Anniversary in 2011--same year my Class of 1961 celebrates it's 50th).

Edited 01/29/10 1:14 PM
Friday, January 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM - Response #3

I use Dreamweaver to generate code all the time. It's actually very easy, just lay yout your page, then copy and paste all the code between the opening body tag and the closing body tag. And just upload any images on the page to your File Vault. Simple as that. I know direct FTP access would be a little easier, but if you do it this way you'll find it's really pretty simple.

1) What is the history problem exactly? It's their history but it's actually pulling from our server, so I can probably fix it myself if you tell me the problem.

2) If you view any page of your site in your browser and hit File, Save, a copy of the CSS will also be saved.

3) I'm assuming you don't need anything from me on this one. Just FYI, little trick, you can use your Survey Maker to generate unlimited site pages. They don't actually have to be surveys. Just don't add any questions. This may save you from having to jury rig things.

A 10 year subscriber trying to pull all classes into Class Creator. Did I mention we love people like you? Smile

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM - Response #4

Brad,

You don't have enough SMILEys Very HappySmileSurprisedLaughingLaughingRazzRazzTwisted EvilTwisted EvilWinkExclamationExclamationExclamation on your page to tell you what I think of you and Mike and beyond a shadow of a doubt CC is indeed the very BEST site on the web. Why? Cause I spent the better part of a year looking at and testing over 30 different sites "similar" to this one and not a single one had the RESPONSIVENESS, KNOWLEDGE, DEDICATION & WILLINGNESS to help everyone from the most experienced up to and including someone who has never seen or used a computer before AND you never seem to tire of helping each one of your users either! I very much realize how much you love those who go for the TEN YEAR program. I also realize and appreciate that I'm treated no different than a subscriber that signs up for just a month. You are indeed a very special breed and I just hope you also NEVER experience burn-out!

Edited 01/29/10 4:03 PM
Friday, January 29, 2010 at 4:09 PM - Response #5

Thank you John. Smile Very nice. And no worries, burnout is actually impossible. It's not a job it's a passion.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.