ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

linking multiple classes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/07/09 10:20 AM Views: 3156 Replies: 17
Monday, September 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

We want to standardize Class Creator for several subsequent years from our high school. Is there a way to link in many years so classmates can access several sites without seperate log ins?
Thanks!

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM - Response #1

Welcome Robert,

There was an idea a while back and I think it is on the task list to be developed. It is called the "Guest Pass". I am not sure of the details, but if I remember right, it was for class members of the same school to be able to access the password protected profiles of another graduating year.

The Admin could be able to turn on/off the Guest Pass. I am not sure of the granularity that would be implemented, if there would be a range of years, etc.

So far, it hasn't been implemented, but I think it is on the task list. Brad could check for sure.

Edited 09/07/09 10:31 AM
Monday, September 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM - Response #2

I recommend converting your site to a multi year site:

1) Click on Edit School / Logos
2) Convert to the multi format

The multi format allows you to have several class years all in one Class Creator site. Make absolutely sure this is what you want, because once you oonvert to the multi year format there's no way to return to the single year format.

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM - Response #3

Hi brad

will anything happen with central school homepage? Task list?

Joyce

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM - Response #4

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question.

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM - Response #5

A while back we had talked about a central school site that teachers could join. All classes be linked. It was different than the current multi class sites. Thereis a forum on the discussion. I will see if I can find it. I would guess it was in feb or march.

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM - Response #6

I think this is it

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=C9EA6779-CC10-B24D-14B8703EAD917F4F

Monday, September 7, 2009 at 7:54 PM - Response #7

Oh, schoool repository. Yes that's something we're going to do. That's a niceity more than a necessity. We're still working on necessity tasks. Although we do want to get to that and lots of other neat things as soon as we can.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 1:30 AM - Response #8

Hi, I just wanted to weigh in and say that would be a very NICE niceity. I don't want to make our site multi-class because the majority of my members don't want that. But there is multi-year site from our school, that started as a result of the one I started. Being able to get to multiple graduating classes for the same school would be great. Not just for obvious reasons, but also because there are a lot of people who think because the sites look similar, they are the same site. I get all sorts of questions from members of both sites that are actually meant for the other site's admin. It's not so bad now, because the other site admin finally changed their home page to a different format. I guess she was having the same problem.

Meantime, how is the chat room coming?

Retha

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM - Response #9

Chat is next on the list, shouldn't be too long.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM - Response #10

Awesome!
Retha

Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM - Response #11

Hey Brad, circling back to this Guest Pass idea, does it have legs?

We definitely do not want a multi-year site, but we would like to allow guests from other years that are also on Class Creator to visit each other's class sites.

Monday, June 21, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #12

This is still slated for development. It is going to happen. For now, you can set up Guest Profiles as an option by manually adding someone to the classmates list. We recommend that you add (GUEST) to their last name in the last name field.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM - Response #13

Thanks for the reply -- we'll wait.

The only guests we've added are from our class year but moved away before graduating. Administering an open policy to anyone would take resources that we don't have, and then we'd have to un-do it when we can connect sites.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM - Response #14

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Welcome Robert,

There was an idea a while back and I think it is on the task list to be developed. It is called the "Guest Pass". I am not sure of the details, but if I remember right, it was for class members of the same school to be able to access the password protected profiles of another graduating year.

The Admin could be able to turn on/off the Guest Pass. I am not sure of the granularity that would be implemented, if there would be a range of years, etc.

So far, it hasn't been implemented, but I think it is on the task list. Brad could check for sure.

I am about to attempt to get 2 more classes from my School onto ClassCreator. My purpose is eventual ability to use the Proposed GuestPass. I'm sorry if I have asked before, but I have forgotten. Is this new ability something that will be in the new program 10 weeks out? Or is it later down the road.....just a general time frame would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM - Response #15

This is something we can probably look at in the late Fall. Unfortunately we're putting most things on hold to make way for the huge system overhaul now underway -- at least a 10 week project. This will make way for all kinds of cool new stuff though, and ultimately Guest Pass system.

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM - Response #16

Every now-and-then I happen upon a message thread here that just about 'saves the day!'

Over the past 24 hours, I have been seriously considering a discussion with three other class years regarding a multi-year site. I am sure at least two of us prefer individual class sites, so I came back here to look some more.

In the future of the "Guest Pass", is there a probability of having "Teacher Profiles" on one of the school's class sites which would allow the 'sharing' of Teacher Profiles? Currently, Teacher Profiles are not available to single class sites.

Wait!Idea Would it be possible to have a separate Teacher site per school, at a goodSmile reduced rate? I believe I can bring in donations quickly for that. Of course, it would need to be able to be found on each class site (using a link). My immediate downside thought is the classmates's log-in will not transfer. Well, it is a thought I leave with you. I'm trying to save myself and others time in developing teacher profiles only to have to do them again. I'm working to bring other class years onboard CC.

Thanks to the entire CC staff for the time you give us in this forum! Very Happy

Gwen

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM - Response #17

Yes a teacher repository is coming too. You guys have so many good ideas there are over 400 pending tasks on our internal task list and we're taking them in order of what we think is most important. A few things will need to be worked out on the teacher repository, including what questions are asked on the Teacher Profile and who gets to control those questions. We may have to make some sort of school Admin area where all Admins from the same school can [hopefully] agree on things. We have another programmer starting October 4th which will help but still, lots to do.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.