ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Resurecting Profile for Deceased Member

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/05/11 09:40 PM Views: 1457 Replies: 6
Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM

One of our stalwarts passed away Sunday night. I looked at his profile without any thought to saving it. In fact I was thinking it would be nice to link to his profile in the announcement of his death on the home page.

Then, on the In Memory page, I added him to the deceased list. This action made his profile go away.

I can still see it if I go to Manage Classmates and click on Profile next to his name, but it appears with all the text blocks of the profile and his answers.

I can't make it appear as a page that I can capture with Jing or screen capture. Is there any way to do that?

I guess a little warning or option might be nice when someone with a profile is converted to In Memory status.

I'm used to creating In Memory pages for class members who died years ago or who never registered. This one was among our most active members and on the 50th Reunion Team.

Maybe a link could be created from the In Memory page to display his/her profile as it was before they passed.

What do others think?

Edited 04/05/11 9:41 PM
Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM - Response #1

That option already exists. On the EDIT page for the In Memory/Classmate/Edit, just check the
"Link To Profile:     Append link to bottom of In Memory entry back to Classmate's last Profile. " checkbox.

This will add a link at the bottom of the In Memory to view the classmate's profile.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM - Response #2

John,

For one of the deceased members of our site, my co-admin made the last profile entry link available. But she also copied the entire contents of the profile back to the deceased members' in memory page. This brought the entire content back to a single page, which I thought was more presentable. He had a good amount of content in the profile, which might have gotten overlooked if someone didn't see the link.

Here it is, if you want to get an idea of how it looks:
Click here

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM - Response #3

Thanks Kyle and James. Shoulda looked a little deeper for the link.

I too like the idea James brought out for this particular person who was a member of our Reunion Team.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM - Response #4

Two issues: First, Kyle, I can't find "the EDIT Page for the In Memory/Classmate/Edit" that you refer us to...can you help this dummy find this page so I can check the box? I would like to be able to go back to the profile even if that classmate has died. Sweet memories and all that...

Second, (and the above may solve this problem) on the In Memory page where the clasmates are listed in blue, following some of the names - in black and parenthesis - is (Deceased XXXX) with X being a year. I cannot find the source of this "Deceased" input. We just recently started our site and many of our deceased's profiles were entered without knowing when they died. We would like to update this information as we learn it.

Thanks so much! About the time I think I have it conquered, some other issue raises its head...thanks for keeping me afloat!

Leahray Smith Wroten

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM - Response #5

Edit Site Pages
Edit In Memory page
Click the EDIT link next to the classmate you want to edit
click the checkbox for "Link To Profile: Append link to bottom of In Memory entry back to Classmate's last Profile. "
Save Changes

Edit Site Pages
Edit In Memory page
click the EDIT link next to the classmate you want to edit
add the year in the drop-down next to "Year of death (if known) "
Save Changes

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM - Response #6

Duh! Just need to take my blinders off! Thanks for making it so clear that even I could see it!

You're the best!

Leahray

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.