ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Unzipping file in Vault?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/05/15 09:51 PM Views: 1481 Replies: 14
Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM

I have some material that I had stored on a personal server space and linked to my class page. I uploaded the zipped file of that content to a dedicated folder and now want to unzip it - is there any way to do this using the Vault tools?

Thanks - Patrick

Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM - Response #1

Not sure if you mean Unzip into the File Vault? That's not an option yet.

You can unzip on YOUR PC though. Download using preview and use PC unzip tool. For later Windows, it's Extract (or a program you picked to replace).

Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:51 PM - Response #2

Jack
I know how to do that on my computer, been using Winzip since I think version 2.0. What I need to do is unzip a zipped file that I have uploaded into my Vault space so I can use the individual files.

Patrick

Edited 12/07/15 4:53 PM
Monday, December 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM - Response #3

You cannot extract a zip file within the file vault. To be honest, I'm surprised you can upload a zip file to the file vault.

Monday, December 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM - Response #4

The solution [if one wants the file(s) in the zip], is to upload each file to the file vault individually. Make more subfolders as required.

Yes you can upload zipped files Scott, did that a long time ago. Not sure the filter is set to block anything like Image is. Even .exe can be uploaded.

Monday, December 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM - Response #5

If that is the case, that will be changing. Those were once blocked. Thanks for the info.

Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM - Response #6

Scott
Seems like a simple file operation that should be able to work in the Vault. Take look at my page and link The Early Years--> 9th Grade pictures. What I am doing is migrating those to the file storage here but would like to keep the page and links intact.

By the way my classmates still have high praise for the site and its ability to keep us linked. Excellent job.
Patrick

Edited 12/07/15 6:30 PM
Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM - Response #7

I just remembered why I uploaded that zip file. Had a requirement for being able to store a zip file. I think it was JWplayer that accessed that file for an earlier SWF player I made. Had skins and similar data.

That was back in 2009. So maybe it's by design?

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

If that is the case, that will be changing. Those were once blocked. Thanks for the info.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:41 AM - Response #8

Zip files uploaded to the file vault are a great way to save a compressed version of things like monthly newsletters. You can link to the zip file from a page or an announcement, and for those who have a zip handler like Winzip, their browser will let them open the zip and they can choose which letter they want to read.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 1:52 AM - Response #9

Agree, zip files are a very useful package storage format. I'd be more worried about Adobe FLASH widgets than stuff there - in terms of undesired 'hidden' stuff. It's one of the reasons Apple dropped the format.

For the common uses - Windows has unzip built right into the system ("extract") since at least Win7. It's actually much easier and simpler than Winzip (or any other replacement which I used to install waaay back). MS actually got it right this time.

Some of the others -WInzip, 7Zip, etc do more formats and even are free. However, if you let those pgms replace the standard Win system, IMO makes life more difficult.

It's also simple to ZIP files with built-in Window folder management. Just say "Send to compressed folder". No program to open in either one.

Although some of those programs zip a teeny tiny bit more efficiently they also can create incompatible zip files.)

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 5:41 AM - Response #10

I have already uploaded the zip file to a folder in my Vault space. I just want to unzip as is, then use one of the files (index.html) with a link on a page [that file refers to a template with photos] - then I will delete the zip file. I don't want to upload all the files one-by-one. The suggestions that many have posted have nothing to do with my situation.

Thanks - Patrick

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM - Response #11

As explained, unzipping as you want to do is not supported. The only way to do it is to replicate the structure manually and upload each one.

I'm not even sure FTP does that. Never have tried though.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM - Response #12

I was wrong. It sounds as though the decision was made a while back that .zip and .exe were okay since they could not be executed / extracted on our server. Jack is correct above with his comments.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 4:17 PM - Response #13

Scott
That makes sense. Is there an FTP option? (been awhile since I had to upload files).

Patrick

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM - Response #14

We do not have an FTP option.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.