ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

starting from scratch!!

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/08/12 08:56 PM Views: 1678 Replies: 16
Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Okay...I am new here!! I have been reading and reading and that is about all I am getting good at here!! LOL
How do I add content to the page and have it come out where I want it to? I am trying to figure out the edit main page and how to place items from the source area and then figure out how to put stuff in the top area, bottom area. UGH...I am sorry...I wish there was a video on here for that page. AND do I have to constantly go back and forth to know what something looks like? I hope I am making sense here with my questions. I managed to attach a countdown to the page but what if I want to move to the bottom of the page? I am sure once I figure this thing out it will get easier and easier but either I am doing something wrong or taking the scenic(LOL) route...it just takes me forever to get this ONE thing on the page. Help!!

Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM - Response #1

Hi Meg
Welcome to C.C.
I went to look at your site and you have the home page password protected... Unless, you don't want anybody to look at it until you have it the way you want, it's best to leave it open. I have my home page open, but, you have to log on to see the announcements.

If you have your classmates names loaded, they can't join your class site because they can't see the home page.

You'll get plenty of help here and support.. Hang in there, it'll get easier. I did plenty of trial and error. Smile

Lynda

Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM - Response #2

Meg, you will probably want to leave your homepage available (not password protected) so you can ask other admins to take a look at it and help you. This is a very helpful group. Have you read the FAQ, as that is helpful too?
When you are placing things in source code, it can be hard to figure out just where things should go. My secret is to type something in CAPS, like HEREHEREHERE. Then I look for that on the source code page and place the new code just below it. You'll go back and forth more as you are first learning how things work and how much spacing is needed. But often you can click off the source code and see the design and figure out some of it before you take a look at it live.
I will be happy to help you if you can open your homepage so it may be viewed, and let me know what you re trying to do.
One thing you need to know - if you make something too wide, it will slip to the bottom of the page.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM - Response #3

Welcome Meg, we're glad you're here. You should leave you home page open so that, one, we can see what your doing, two, we will be able to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish in order to help you. By the way, you can look at our home page sites just by clicking on the logo's on the left of each reply so that you can gleen ideas and thoughts on what you want with your site. Good luck.

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM - Response #4

Okay...so happy to get some responses. I password protected the page because I have a FB page and someone posted the URL to the website..I had told that person I was not ready to launch it yet but she did it anyway. I didn't want my classmates to see an empty page. UGH...not nice!! I wanted it to have some stuff up there. I am learning so didn't think it would look too cool to have it looking like I didn't know what I was doing which in fact is the truth!! LOL I took the lock off so you can see.
Well, I love some of the sites I have seen but don't have a clue how to get some of the graphics. Also, trying to find free stuff. I wish there was a a click and drag an object once it is on the page.
I will check back tomorrow and see what you guys suggest. Thank you so much...I feel like such a baby...although I do have computer skills, this is just something new to learn. BTW..I did all the alumni by myownsome!!

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM - Response #5

Hi Meg,

Welcome to CC! You mentioned that you do have computer skills. Let's start with that.

The editor for site pages has more options than you have in writing a post here. Think of it as your email editor.

Graphics. See something you like... right click on it and save it to your computer. Then you will need to upload it into your site. I suggest you place an "Under Construction" graphic on your site in order to leave it unlocked. I believe allowing your classmates to see the home page being built is good. I added a graphic to a site for us - admins. Click HERE to see it.

One step at a time. You'll do fine! Very Happy

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM - Response #6

Hi Meg, There are so many fantastic things about ClassCreator, and one we admins probably love most is the support we receive from ClassCreator, all its helpers, and other admins. Lots of people to get instruction and ideas from 24/7.
One of the first places I sought graphics was glittergraphics.com. It's free. There are many other graphics sites out there. Some are free, some are not. When looking for pictures/photos/comics/sayings on the web to copy, make sure they are free.
Since we are somewhat close in grad year, take a look at my front page to get an idea of how I introduce our classmates to the site. It took me a month to start growing my page, and it grew every day for another 6 months, and now it changes now and then. You will see that many people change their pages for holidays or specifically for the reunion date.
Always remember there are people here to ask a question, and no question is silly. We all started with a blank page! HAVE FUN WITH IT !!

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM - Response #7

I AM SO EXCITED!!!! LOL....Thank you so much for your responses from the bottom of my Heart!!

I was thinking I had to wait til my page was mostly completed before I told alumni about it. BUT now that I think I will do just what was suggested. I have already put a few of the graphics (THANK YOU for sharing) and move along...

BUT I don't want classmates messing with any of the settings and changing anything on their own...how can I prevent this and what do you suggest in that respect?

I feel like a little kid that discovered a new toy!! I like that I can copy and paste...I was under the impression I would have to have a raw code for everything except the wording. Whew...this is a load off my mind. BUT I am excited to put some extra something..something in there too!!

I will be on and off all day today. If I do not get back to you right away, please forgive me..I am here and will respond.

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM - Response #8

Your classmates cannot change anything except their profile and details information UNLESS you make them an admin.

You can test this out by adding a fake classmate without admin privileges and signing in as that classmate. Then you could see exactly what your classmates would see. When you are done, you can just delete the fake classmate or make it hidden (on the Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates, DETAILS page, uncheck the SHOW ON CLASS LIST option)

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM - Response #9

WOW! That was a FAST response!!! I was still typing to another member!! LOL..thank you!

Is there a section for general use statements such as how to join, privacy statement, and such things...

If not, hope you don't mind me suggesting that..you know a folder of helpful posts to start your site up with. This way we know we can use them without getting permission from others to use theirs.

Look at me...already making a suggestion!! LOL...AND I am just learning here!!

Thank you again!

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM - Response #10

Meg
You're welcome to copy my "How to Join" and the privacy statement on my site.

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM - Response #11

Welcome Meg! It's the beginning of a Grand Adventure, so have Fun with it, be patient with yourself and use your imagination! Other sites offer tons of inspiration and your creativity and your vision of your creation will fall into place far faster than you might imagine!
Many have shared their expertise and great finds with those of us building our sites. "Borrow" whatever you may find useful from our site, our Reunion Humor page is open for sharing and many have added their own takes of it. It often helps to defray some "fears" of Reunions with a few laughs!
The graphics should be uploaded to your computer, so that they are on your file...name them something that will help you remember them when you are trying to locate them!

ClassCreator and their staff has been unsurpassed in their helpfulness and problem-solving, they are truly the Best! So many admins have also been so helpful. I hope you find your experience the same.
Let your imagination go crazy and Have FUN! Your class will more than appreciate your efforts.
You might want to make sure that your Google Preferences is turned on...many of our classmates who had never been to a reunion and/or moved away found their names on the site by "googling themselves"!Cool

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM - Response #12

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Meg. I had similar frustrations starting out too. I would not call the Editor user friendly and there is no help file or video on it. One technique I use, especially when combning text and large images, is to start a page with at least 4 paragraph spaces (Enter-Enter-Enter-Enter) and then type in text or place an image in the second paragraph space, and then in every other paragraph space. This always leaves a paragraph space in between so you can easily add or re-sequence items. The Editor page displays a full page width. If this Editor page is for say the Home Page, the Home Page will very likely have announcements displayed on the right side, thereby reducing the Home Page width and skewing your Editor content. What you see in the Editor may not be what you see on the Home Page.

Friday, March 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM - Response #13

Hi Meg,
I was the same way a you in 2010 when I first started with a website from ClassCreator. They've been very helpful to me in the last 3 years.
Yes,, you may change many things on your homepage through "edit site pages". I find that is one of the most beneficial sources of description of the reunion or whatever you want to communicate. If you kike,, take a look at my website (stangelahallacademy1963.com).
I found that if you play with the "edit site pages" and the "manage classmates" you can figure out a lot. After that, CC will answer any and all queries you may have.
BTW, when is your reunion to be held?
Barbara

Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM - Response #14

Thank you everyone for responding to my posts!! I have officially let those on my FB page know about site and they are now registering! Thanks to you I was able to get the show on the road. I was so nervous!! I am still trying to figure out stuff but I see that the support here is great!!
My next question...is linking...how do I link say...something liek the words....sign up....so that when they click on it, it will bring them directly to that part of the site?
I will look in forums but in the meantime, I hope to get a quick answer here!

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM - Response #15

Meg Davis wrote:

Thank you everyone for responding to my posts!! I have officially let those on my FB page know about site and they are now registering! Thanks to you I was able to get the show on the road. I was so nervous!! I am still trying to figure out stuff but I see that the support here is great!!
My next question...is linking...how do I link say...something liek the words....sign up....so that when they click on it, it will bring them directly to that part of the site?
I will look in forums but in the meantime, I hope to get a quick answer here!

Hi Meg,
We have a planned phone call, right? Monday - anytime. Smile

Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM - Response #16

Lynda,

I've borrowed your "How to Join Website", too. I've just gotten our page up and running and it should be very helpful to those joining. Thank you!

Janet

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.